The Big Lebowski.....

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mtruslow, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I suspect one could do a doctoral thesis on the film, if it hasn't been done already.
    Would make for a funny job interview: "And what was the subject of your dissertation?"

Hot Ptah and thedudeabidz like this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I remember watching that episode of "Siskel & Ebert", and it was one of the reasons why I didn't bother seeing TBL in the theater. But then I rented it a few months later and realized that Siskel was basically clueless.

And it's funny to hear Ebert use the phrase "out of their element" without the slightest hint of recognition!

CraigVC and levi like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'd guess that I've seen "The Big Sleep" a dozen times, and "The Big Lebowski" a dozen times. And it took me until today to realize that one provides the loose framework for the other. Duh. Maybe the word "Big" in both titles might have been a subtle clue. I am out of my element, I should STFU.

4. RayS

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Its that time again. I had to pop the DVD in. Watching now.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

"Ah yes, it was on the psychological and symbolic uses of the word 'F' in context and as a platform for social commentary in the movie The Big Lebowski."

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

"I'll say it again, you told Brandt on the phone. He told me. I know what happened. Yes? Yes?"

It's a great movie. Yes? Yes?

I made a promise to myself many years ago that if I'm ever stopped by a roving reporter on the street to register an opinion, I will identify myself as Knox Harrington, Video Artist.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. RayS

An entertaining documentary on the cult status of the film, and the conventions.

Streaming on Netflix.

[​IMG]

9. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

For a film so rich with quotable lines, there are some great visual gags that don't seem to have as much notoriety. I always got a kick of him lying on the floor listening to a bowling match on the Walkman, and the scene where he scribbles on the pad thinking he's going to find some important clue at Jackie Treehorn's house gets me every time. My favorite, though, is when he nails the piece of wood to the floor to block the door from opening, except the door opens in the other direction. Classic stuff.

Aaron

10. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

I saw a short video on cracked.com recently that proposed that The Big Lebowski is a remake of Alice In Wonderland.

11. Vinyl Addict

What about when he's painting his nails in the bowling alley. Wtf?

12. Vinyl Addict

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I love the Coen Brothers but don't like this movie much at all. For me, it's one of their misses, along with THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE, INTOLERABLE CRUELTY and HUDSUCKER PROXY. I don't find it funny or clever or even interesting. The whole slacker vibe seems very forced, as if they were brainstorming quotables for a CLERKS sequel.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

don't think i've seen it since it came out

15. RayS

stereoptic, ClausH, swandown and 6 others like this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This little 'gag' was not only done in Kevin Smith's "TUSK", but they also say, in the movie, that they got the idea from the movie!!
    I laughed out loud in the movie theatre, which only had 4 people in it, when Johnny Depp, in his strange accent, says, "Yeah... I, too, also get idea from that movie."

17. vince

WhaaAAAAAA?!?!?!
    Wife-y and I watch it AT LEAST once a year.
    It took her a few watches to totally 'get it', and quite a few 'quotes' are used around our house-hold!

thedudeabidz and Scope J like this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Same here. It took her a few views, much like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. She's loves 'em now though!

19. vince

Mine is still 'on the fence' with "Fear & Loathing.."...

20. Vinyl Addict

Make her watch it again.

21. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

If you would get hired on the spot because The Big Lebowski was the subject of your dissertation, you would know you were working at the right place.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  22. Hot Ptah

My favorite insight from the abundant commentary on this film:

Everything Walter says about what is happening to the Dude, is exactly correct.

thedudeabidz and wavethatflag like this.
  23. RayS

So you're saying that Donny really was out of his element? :)

24. Hot Ptah

I edited my post after you wrote yours. What I read is that everything Walter said about what was happening to the Dude was exactly correct--even though much of it seems implausible-to-ridiculous as Walter is saying it.

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

I love the scene with the ashes. Brilliant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.