DCC Archive The Big O: Roy Orbison Singles Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btomarra, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Need some info on this from all you fellow audiophiles out there. Sony US was to release this domestically but at the last minute pulled it. It is a UK release. It features the Monument A-sides on disc one, the b-sides on disc two as well as both album and stereo mixes of Oh Pretty Woman.

I have a question on the source tapes for this release. Candy Man has some crackles (almost like a distortion) every time Roy's vocal comes in. I have the DCC release and love it. None of that noise appears on it. This import has some great b-sides like Born On The Wind. Over all the sound is excellent.

Does anybody own this? And are the source tapes from copies or vinyl. I e-mailed Sony UK on this and can't get a reply. Wish they released it here!

Thanks! :confused:

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Brian,

I picked this set up a few months ago. I was dissapointed that it did not feature the original single mixes (apart from "Oh Pretty Woman") but at least it contained the B-sides.

One of the first things I noticed was that "Goodnight" sounded like it had been mastered from a vinyl source. The odd thing is that they didn't use the 45 for this - it is the stereo mix. Other releases on CD use a tape source for this stereo mix (and it sounds fine to me) so I'm not sure why this was not used for this release.

As for the overall quality - I haven't listened to it that much (which can be a telling sign as to the quality of the mastering!) but I was not too impressed. Of course, next to Steve's mastering, it doesn't stand a chance. In its favour, at least the transfers seem to be fairly pure (ie no obvious signs of processing).

Anyone know about the reason for the vinyl transfer of "Goodnight"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.