The Biggest Anthology?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luvtemps, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Van Morrison

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

My anthology's bigger than yours. :rolleyes:

JoeF. likes this.
  3. Be Bop Deluxe

Be Bop Deluxe Forum Resident

Add me as someone to second that motion...

4. Be Bop Deluxe

That's actually a very funny line... nicely played...:tiphat:

forthlin likes this.
  5. Be Bop Deluxe

His reply was actually pretty humorous and as the OP it's his thread and so his rules - he did add "quality" as a qualifier... and so it's to be expected that one would question just how many of the 40,000 were distinguishable from one another... He could have written the same song 40,000 times and changed nothing more than the title for all we know... "The Vivaldi of the Sub-Continent"... or "The Enya of India"...

6. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

I got the joke. I like the joke. I was making fun of the frowning and head shaking emoticon, which is the only thing I quoted. Vinyl Richie is also not the thread starter, Luvtemps is.

Back to the business at hand, The Fall was mentioned in my googling as well for having 100 albums but only 30 of them are regular studio albums of new material so I didn't think that was as impressive as other artists mentioned in the same googling that included the already mentioned in this thread Frank Zappa and Neil Young. Also mentioned on the same google list is Johnny Cash and Tangerine Dream. From other google lists are Buckethead and the again aforementioned Nana Mouskouri and Merzbow.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

There is also Motorhead, Boris, Melvins, Hawkwind, Residents, and Acid Mothers Temple. (From yet another list.)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. I think he's made seven in the past 50 years. I wonder if our lists overlap anywhere? ;)

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  9. Your thread title is misleading as an anthology is a collection of selected literary pieces or passages or works of art or music (Merriam-Webster). You're asking who wrote the most songs.

Oliver likes this.
  10. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're right and I apologize for the mislead as you stated it means a collection of-I should've used a different title.

11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Obviously, it's all subjective. I'd say though that the consensus about Dylan is that he's made a few more good albums than 4 or 7. No one says every Dylan album must be considered a "masterpiece." No one bats 1.ooo.

12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

No need to apologize. "Anthology" might not technically be the right word. But it's not like that word hasn't been used a million times to describe compilations of recorded music before your thread.

I mean, an "album" is technically a collection of pictures, not a bunch of songs.

13. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks.

14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Not even Don Bradman.

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

78s were sold in groups in "albums". When I was 6 and asked my mother for a Beatles album for xmas she said that an album of records would be expensive and could I pick one.

JoeF. and ianuaditis like this.
  16. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

fun fact - I read recently that when recording technology only allowed for 3-4 minutes per side (ie on a 78,) in order to store an entire recording session together, you kept them in a book with sleeves, just like a photo album, and the term was kept even after LPs were developed.

JoeF. likes this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm aware of that. And albums were expensive. I'd save up quarters and nickels just to buy singles.
    An album was out of the question until I got a paper route....and joined Columbia House--and found out I only needed "a penny" and a piece of tape....

18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Bing Crosby has something like 300 charting singles.

19. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I bet Doc Chad has more releases than Sun Ra :)

zphage likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

50th Anniversaries!!!!!!

Any forthcoming titles planned for 2019?

Elvis Presley
    The Beach Boys
    Nick Drake
    Velvet Underground
    The Doors
    The Beatles

21. Bill Nelson

22. alexpop

The Who - Tommy.
    Came out May, 1969.

23. alexpop

Still time for Scott 4.
    Release date November, 1969.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I wouldn't count out a massive Let it Be project for 2020, given that it's not only the 50th anniversary of that album, but also the 50th of The Beatles break-up. I don't know how much they recorded for Abbey Road, but I was led to believe that the sessions for that album were more tidy and efficient than either LiB or The White Album.

alexpop likes this.
  25. alexpop

Abbey Road that'll definitely come out.
    Record companies realize they can make big bucks with these Anniversary styled box sets $100.00+. So I'd imagine there will be more of them in the next few years.

JoeF. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.