The biggest improvement in your digital system lately?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

For days, it seems every thread is about turntables or cassette decks. So here is is one about digital -- which after all is how must music is released these days.

What change made the biggest improvement in your digital system lately? Not 20 years ago, but in the last few years?

I'll start -- I added a Mutec MC-3+USB reclocker, which really tightened up the imaging and maybe smoothed the highs as well.

So what's improved your system? A new player or DAC? Better cables? something else?

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

New (used) player: an Ayre C-5xeMP. Its performance is so noticeably better than the $1000-1500 level that it's got me wanting to try the next level (Esoteric).

John K.

BigGame and Mike-48 like this.
  3. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Adding an MSB DAC was a big improvement for my ears over my previous NAD M51. Definitely an investment not a cost. No more re-clocker needed either due to the correctly isolated USB interface.

Mike-48 likes this.
  4. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Upgrading my PS Audio Directstream DAC to new firmware "Huron". It made an excellent DAC even better. Huron has a lower noise floor, incredible imaging, better defined bass and more extended highs. Digital now rivals analog for me in terms of absolute musical enjoyment, which I didn't think was possible. And did I mention that PS Audio provides these firmware updates for free?? Very highly recommended.

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

my sony hap z1es server dac player. sounds absolutely stunning with some burn in and the right interconnects.

Mike-48 likes this.
  6. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Rasberry Pi + Runeaudio + Bryston BDA-3

It was great before, but add in an Oppo 103 for SACD ripping and now having the ability to stream DSD and it is pretty awesome.

Mike-48 likes this.
  7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

One word..."unremastering" :edthumbs:

c-eling, klockwerk and Shiver like this.
  8. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Gungnir Multibit.

davidb1, Thouston and Mike-48 like this.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Forum Resident

CuBox connected to my dac running HQPlayer's network audio daemon. Let me move my music server out of the listening room. HQPlayer upsampling with Roon's UI, best of both worlds. Recently added a linear power supply to the CuBox which was another nice little bump in SQ.

ctgregory and Mike-48 like this.
  10. Mike-48

Yeah, the first time I heard digital reach (and in some respects surpass) analog was with a Muse transport and DAC, connected with I2S, about 10 years ago. It was a wonderful moment -- I could tell a violin from a viola on a digital source, and piano on digital of course doesn't have the pitch variation (wow) that it exhibits on most LPs. I appreciate that pitch stability very much.

PS Audio makes some great gear. I am still holding a grudge from the first Bridge (which inserted pauses between tracks), but I suppose I'll get over it sooner or later.

11. Mike-48

??????

If you are saying many remasters degrade the originals, I agree with you. Is that what you are saying?

12. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

When I'll finish my Audio Note DAC kit 3.1 this is going to be something...

advanced101, Jojo G. and Shiver like this.
  13. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

[​IMG]

SMc and Yost like this.
  14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Its going to be a silly one. I tried an Audioquest JitterBug with the PC in the study which is connected to a pair of KEF LS50 speakers through a TEAC AI-501DA DAC/integrated amplifier. It does...something. I'm not sure what but I find listening to be more pleasurable although I can't say what exactly changed or if it is just the placebo effect running in overdrive, which is something very annoying to admit for an analytical personality type like me.

Mike-48 likes this.
  15. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

Cardas digital cable between DAC and Transport

16. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Audio Note DAC. A different (non-mainstream) approach to digital that really hit the spot.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Interesting. Is it the 'Lightning 15' in your profile? What did you have before and what was the difference?

18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Yes indeed.

Mike-48 and c-eling like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Bar none, finding a better mastered album has been the single most improvement in my digital set-up
    ---->
    [​IMG]

Yost, Limopard and Dusty Chalk like this.
  21. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

A few things since last November were added. I think all those combined makes the biggest difference.

*Pioneer SC-95 that let me play stereo in extended stereo mode (from 2 channels to 4.1 channels) while keeping speakers and sub in phase. Also like SC-95's ability to enhance YouTube music with its DSP. With 4.1, I get wider and taller soundfield, plus more details (KEF LS50 as the surround helps a lot in that regard). With 4.1, I could play louder in my big listening space without stressing out the speakers and amps.

*Getting two class A/AB Parasound A23 to drive my 4 speakers. They sound smoother to me vs the digital amp in SC-95.

*Adding a sealed subwoofer with two 15" drivers. It plays double bass very loud without distortion like my other smaller subwoofers. Other smaller subwoofers struggled in my current large listening space.

22. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

So the disc on the right betters the one on the left I presume?

c-eling likes this.
  23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Marantz SA-8005. The best, fullest and warmest sound I have had for CDs. SACD playback is a bonus.

Pancat, dachada and Stefan Sigurdsson like this.
  24. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

Not so recent but the last was going from a Squeezebox Touch to a Bluesound Node2. Definite positive change to the sound.

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.