The biggest improvement in your digital system lately?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Schiit Bifrost Multibit

davidb1 likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Swapped out a bunch of stuff. These days running Quad 9as active speakers, and a CD player. TV via optical (they have an onboard DAC), and we're done.

3. ModWright/Oppo 205. HUGE difference (over a stock Oppo 95).

Still grinning ear to ear over the improvements.

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Same answer for me.

amgradmd likes this.
  5. PMCH

PMCH Member

Recently switched from an Esoteric K-03, which I loved, to the new Esoteric K-01x. The K-01x's sound keeps getting better and better as more hours are put on it.

DPM likes this.
  6. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I put a pair of Philips miniwatts tubes in my Moljnir2 amp. Sounds even better.

7. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

Woo Audio WA7 (Fireflies) HP amp/dac and Sennheiser HD650 headphones

Boomy likes this.
  8. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Cyrus Stream XA.
    Great for streaming and internet radio, but also running my Marantz CD6004 through it with great improvement in SQ

9. Hessian

Hessian Active Member

A long time ago, getting the PC out of digital playback, a year ago putting a microRendu in the playback chain, a few months ago putting a better LPS on the MR.

10. I purchased a Linn Klimax Katalyst DS/3, going from a Chord DAVE on my main rig (the DAVE is still the best for cans)...and this is the best DAC I've heard in my life, including TotalDac, MSB, dCS, PS Audio, Schiit.

Once Linn redesigned the DAC in their box, it changed the whole game.

It doesn't just sound analog; it sounds like I'm in the recording studio listening to playback.

A big difference is getting rid of USB. Going direct with RJ45, there's no need to worry about colorization, since on the digital side we're now getting perfect packets with no loss or guessing, right into the FPGA, and then into the DAC, controlled by a preamp with no loss at louder signals.

It also happens to be the blackest background I've ever heard.

Their Space Optimization (room correction) is no gimmick either. Of course it doesn't hurt that my room is pretty much a cube, with no furniture.

No going back.

Shiver likes this.
  11. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Modwright BDP-105 bought 1 yr ago

12. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Got a Schiit Yggdrasil/Ragnarok stack a few weeks ago. Amazing. Hard for me to imagine my budget ever being able to afford anything that sounds tangibly better.

13. In that price range you're assuredly right! The Yggy is a bargain for what you get. Congrats on that!

14. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I really thought the wyred4sound remedy reclocker was quite an improvement between my chromecast audio and SA8005. Sounded very close to spinning a CD.

I bought the NA8005 with some of the money from selling the wyred4sound. canclled my google play music and mostly stream my self ripped flac files.

The wyred4sound really helped the optical out from my TV as well.

I also have the ifi iPurifier (still do) and I didn't think it had the musicality that the wyred4sound offered.

15. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

cheaper and easier storage -- re-ripping CDs from the 256k or so mps3 I did a decade or so ago to lossless flac has been worthwhile. I still contend that good dacs from 10 years ago are just about as good as good ones from today. May sound slightly different but hard to say "better" and definitely not night and day different.

GuildX700 and Brother_Rael like this.
  16. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I partially agree with this. A lot of older CDs sound crappy to me. They need to be remastered. But then someone does it and yeah maybe they got a better bass response and lower noise/artifacts from using much better converters available today, but they also compressed and louden the whole thing up to make it like a contemporary release. like one step forward and two steps back.

missan, bug2362, Mike-48 and 3 others like this.
  17. Jim N.

Jim N. Just another day in what was once Paradise...

A Schiit Gumby for redbook and a Cambridge CXU for DVD-A and SACD.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Stefan Sigurdsson

Stefan Sigurdsson Forum Resident

Green marker on the edge of CDs:laugh:

JinOhio, Len-ski, fogalu and 3 others like this.
  19. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Moved my music server (Win7 machine) to a different room and connected a Sonore MicroRendu with UltraCap LPS-1 power supply to my Ayre QB-9. Clear improvement in SQ.

20. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

Auralic Vega DAC. Can be purchased cheap used.

Mike-48 and Ham Sandwich like this.
  21. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Sold my Ayre Codex which was pretty good and replaced with a Resonessence Invicta Mirus Pro.

It was the missing link and has taken all my digital to a completely new level. So many goose bump moments now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    konut likes this.
  22. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Ignoring it and playing more vinyl.:agree:

Max, timztunz and FLEMKE like this.
  23. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

24. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

1. LKS Audio MH-DA004 Dual ES9038PRO DAC
    2. Ripping DSD files off SACDs using my Oppo 105

25. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Retiring my CD player and switching entirely to computer playback was the most significant improvement. After that, getting an Audioengine D1 to use instead of the built in Realtek 283 DAC.

Mike-48 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.