The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

From what I've read it's not highly regarded critically but I enjoy it. Nice to listen to in the morning.

Fender Relic likes this.
  2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I had on something really good to listen to this morning, Ralph Towner • Paolo Fresu - Chiaroscuro and inspired by the thread title I put on something even better Bill Evans Trio - Moonbeams.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Getz and Evans didn't want it to be released. I would not say it is either of them at their best but is worth a listen.

frightwigwam likes this.
  4. Bobby Buckshot

I've never gotten the back story on this one. Is it like how LaFaro & Evans didn't like/enjoy making Explorations and thought it would result in a disaster of an album only to be pleasantly surprised, or was the result of this record - in Evans' & Getz's opinion - as bad as they thought it would be?

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From what I remember reading, there was some sort of fight between LaFaro and Evans during the session for Explorations but as far as I know they approved the album for release. Getz and Evans didn't approve the 1964 session for release but Verve put it out around ten years later.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Yeah, I think LaFaro was on Evans about his drug use and the resulting tension produced a great album. Maybe Getz & Evans just felt uninspired making their record together...? I still think it's a good one and if I saw a good copy I'd pick it up.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have it as part of this set, where Verve combined it with the Getz record Sweet Rain.

[​IMG]

8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Giving Getz/Evans a spin right now. Quirky is the best word I can use to describe it. It's got a subtle charm.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

At that time, I would be surprised if either of them had any voice in deciding if something was released. The record company had control. Though Helen Keane started working with Evans in 1963, I do not believe she and Bill had much authority for at least several years after that time.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

This one is so so to me. Much, much better is the "The Bill Evans Trio Featuring Stan Getz - But Beautiful" CD. This CD came out in 1996 and is a really nice live recording. Recorded live in Europe in 1974. Highly recommended for both Evans and Getz fans. And for anyone who loves Jazz for that matter.

The Bill Evans Trio & Stan Getz - But Beautiful

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not sure, but in any case, Verve didn't release it until the 70's. Maybe in 1964 they were content with other, more commercial sessions they had from Getz and Evans around that time.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Like many labels. Verve had many sessions in the vault. I think release could not be controlled by the artists if they did not have control at the time of the session.

13. QUESTION: Have the complete 3 CD's worth of "California Here I Come" live sessions (from Aug 17-17, 1967) ever appeared *separately* from the big 'metal' Complete Verve?

The original album appears to be disc #12 of the metal box set, and discs #13-14 are both (then) previously-unreleased (until the metal box).

I used to own the Metal Box, but I grew tired of not only the crazy metal-box interface (to get to the CD's), but also the programming of endless alternate-take after alternate-take (in immediate succession), for many of the sessions.

I always vowed to buy the 3CD set of those complete "California Here I Come" live sessions, if they ever became available separately -- but at least according to Wikipedia, that doesn't appear to have ever happened (as I was hoping).

fatwad666 likes this.
  14. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

They were released in Japan as “Bill Evans Trio at the Village Vanguard - August 17, 1967” (UCCV-4111/2) and “[…] August 18, 1967” (UCCV-4113/4), both as 2CD sets.

The full 1964 Trident Club “Trio Live” sessions from that same Verve box seem to not have been released separately though. Would be cool if they were someday (or if I was wrong and these are out as a standalone set).

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although it's an awkward box to say the least, I still have it. The August 17 and 18 1967 recordings are spread over discs 11 through 14. A few tracks from each disc were on the original double album.

I also don't know of a separate release of the complete Trident sessions (one of my favorite parts of the box).

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

You could get the vinyl release.

17. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I recall reading somewhere that Getz and Evans had the contractual right to veto the session release while signed to Verve, but evidently that right lapsed after they both had moved on to other labels. Verve didn't waste any time after Getz was out the door. He recorded his last session for them in '72, they put out a Getz anthology later that year, and the Getz/Evans meeting was released in '73.

18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

In 2004, Universal in Japan put out the sets for each date, just titled At the Village Vanguard August 17, 1967 and At the Village Vanguard August 18, 1967. They are apparently out of print.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

But it is only about half or a third of what is in the box set.

20. Oh my gosh, that's right. It WAS spread across 4(!) different CD's. I think I did the math (back then), and figured out it would easily fit on 3 discs -- and always hoped it would see a stand-alone release that way. But, yeah, that's right -- sheesh, 4(!) different discs -- what a drag.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That's too bad. Now you should buy it again, in one of the Euro official editions. They had the whole thing in a cardboard case for as low as $50 once. Now probably more.

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

Gotcha. For me the vinyl is long enough as I don’t consider this one of Bills best. But for those that do, I understand.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

On the contrary. Nice to get it released. Those CDs were packed. I was very much in touch with Verve/Polygram when they were compiling the set. The story of the long delay in release because the metal cases were not corroding as planned by the designer was the ridiculous part. After they delayed release by many months, they took all of the metal cases, took the innards out and gave the metal cases a concentrated acid wash to increase corrosion. As a result, all the cases continue to rust to this day, and leave brown rust stains on your hands.

Stupid designers.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Helen Keen struggled to avoid the release of some Verve records including Getz & Evans but Creed Tay
    The way he thought led him to the last trio.

25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Bill Boxed Again: Evans' Consecration - JazzTimes
    Todd's quote is very confusing and puzzled me. I thought Consecration contained just first set material.
    " The Last Waltz is more predominantly second sets"???
    Above all, "the occasional third set that took place on the weekend." Third set? Well, what does he refer to???