The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees mono source for the Rhino deluxe?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnnytheg, May 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Well for the mono disc of More of the Monkees from the deluxe set, They used a different version of Your Auntie Grizelda with different vocal take.

I don't know if it was because the original mono multi of that song is missing, Or it was just a mistake.
    And yes, I agree it would be cool to have those first two lp's remixed.

I was blown away be the remixed alternate take of I'm a Believer.

I do have a nice vinyl mono copy of Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones ltd. & To my ears the original vinyl & The mono Cd from the deluxe set sound pretty much the same.

So if they did a needle drop for that cd..They pulled it off darn well.:-plnktn-:

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Viper: The remixed alternate vocal version of I'm a Believer is mind blowing. They Have all the elements to remix the "hit" vocal version, I am rather surprised they havent released that, but I suspect it will be on the Super Deluxe version of "More of The Monkees".

marmalade, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  3. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Well, If RHINO has all of the elements for the original version of I'm a believer, I'm all for it :agree:
    Lets keep our fingers crossed.(I'm hoping there are a lot of remixes on the upcoming set)

I'll be one of the first to buy that Super deluxe More Of The Monkees set when it's released:goodie:

D-rock likes this.
  4. stereoguy

Viper......me too. My absolute favorite Monkees album, and arguably, their best.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I wonder if there could've been a 'normal' mix of Magnolia Simms before the effects, and if there was would anyone want it? :laugh:

I remember hearing that one on the Dr. Demento show followed by a bit of really nice sounding 78 of Temptation by Perry Como or Jo Stafford or someone to prove 78s could sound good, then some really strange hillbilly take of Temptation followed that, which was a lot of fun!

6. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I will have to go back and check my BB&M super deluxe set, I believe there is a really nice remixed version of Magnolia sims on the third bonus disc without the scratches/skipping effects.
    I thought it sounded superb.

And stereoguy, More of the Monkees is probably my second favorite lp after Pisces.
    Not a bad song on it...Exepting maby The Day We Fall In Love.:wtf:

I have an older brother that had all of the original Monkees vinyl when they were first issued, And grew up from the age of about 4 years old listening to the songs.(Along with a lot of Beatles music as well)

So they are permanantly ingrained in the brain cells.

I will always love the music, And tv show.

7. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

And no, At the age of 4 i was listening, But an older family member was playin & handeling those records.:cool:

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I grew up with just the More Of The Monkees LP, but it did seem like the tv show was always on some channel, kind of like Gilligan's Island and The Banana Splits. I even saw Head some time in the early '80s. Didn't get to see 33.3rpm special though until the Rhino DVD sets. I honestly can't say if I passed up a mono BB&Ms but when I was getting all the original LPs together I did go through some shops' stock of at least twenty copies of the album looking for the best and earliest Stereo edition. I found Instant Replay and Presents hard to find locally though and had to 'settle' for the Rhino reissues (with the sort of colored photos on the Presents back).

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Ahhh Michelle!!! Where have YOU been all my life?
    :love:

MarkTheShark likes this.
  10. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I've only ever seen one copy of the U.S. mono Birds, ever. It was held by a woman in line in front of me at one of Nesmith's 'conversation receptions' after his tour in late 2013. It had just been signed by Nesmith making it not only the only U.S. copy that I've ever seen, but the only one that I've ever seen signed by all four Monkees.

My more common mono copy of Pisces also added that elusive fourth signature shortly after. :)

IMG_1142.jpg

John Bliss, boggs, izgoblin and 10 others like this.
  11. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

As long as the Monkees tv show is on the air -- boys are still touring..and critical praise from New album "Good Times" .. the Monkees are still relevant.

Upsiditus likes this.
  12. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Yep, For me i was able to catch the show in syndication on Saturday afternoon's on CBS i think it was in the early 70's.

Then later around 76, The VHF channels started airing it again in my area after school for about a year or so.

These episodes had the music from the later lp's dubbed in replacing the original early music from the first two albums.
    So i was hearing the first season music bumpers with tracks dubbed in from Headquarters, And even Changes.

Still it was hard to find the albums as they were long out of print by then accept for the ARISTA Greatest Hits & Laurie House set.
    I didn't manage to view the movie Head until the 90's, Along with 33.3rd on Video.

Thankfully now i have a nice almost complete original vinyl & cd collection. :cool:

John Bliss, Grand_Ennui and Keith V like this.
  13. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

SWEET! :yikes:

Hawkman likes this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I own all five of the super deluxe editions of the albums, and not one of them has an issue with the cover packaging falling off... "Present" has a dented corner, but that came from handling during shipment, and "Instant Replay" has a slight tear on the spine, but no sign of the covers themselves having any real "falling off" type issues... Maybe I just got lucky with my covers?

D-rock and Keith V like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I have them also too. Packaging is perfect.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

17. stereoguy

Thanks Ken K, thats good news. I am 99% sure that we will finally see the complete, wide instruments new stereo mix of I'm A Believer with the hit vocal. That alternate mix is mind blowing!!!!

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Those would date from 1989. The chronology is that Rhino reissued the nine original albums on vinyl and cassette in 1985-86. The first two albums then came out on CD for the first time in 1987 (on Arista). In 1988, Rhino's license on the Monkees' albums expired, and Arista reissued the self-titled and "More Of" on vinyl and cassette. Next they released their two volumes of greatest hits on CD in 1988, and then Headquarters and Pisces on CD and cassette (but not vinyl) in 1989. In 1994-95 Rhino started reissuing the albums on CD and cassette. At first, the cassettes looked like old stock from 1985-86, but with stickers replacing the old catalog numbers with the new ones. Eventually newer cassette versions followed with the new stock numbers (and maybe different mastering, but I don't know because I never bought them).

marmalade, Grand_Ennui and Keith V like this.
  19. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

Ok, Thanks for the info.:cool:
    I don't remember seeing any of the Arista Monkees vinyl , Cassettes or cd's in the local stores at the time.(Other than the greatest hits)

I also recently bought a copy of the Arista self titled album on cassette, And the song Saturday's child is in mono.
    The rest of the songs i believe to be stereo, But not remixed like Headquarters & Pisces.

So a lot of the multis were still missing at the time.
    Man i'm glad they managed to locate most of the studio lp masters finally!

Here's hoping they eventually locate those BB&M Mono masters :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

If my memory is correct, when Andrew Sandoval was asked about this, he said that the different version of "Your Auntie Grizelda" included on the set was simply a mistake* on his part. He said that Rhino did have the correct version of the tape but he just accidentally used the wrong version.

* As a side note, when CD sales were huge, I remember when similar situations like this happened with other artists albums, labels would "recall" the discs as soon as they became aware of the mistake, while quickly manufacturing a "correct" production run. Sometimes the labels would offer early buyers of the incorrect discs the chance to "exchange" the disc for the corrected one at no charge. Some people actually kept their original "incorrect" disc as a collectors item rarity. In the case of the mistake with Your Auntie Grizelda, Rhino never recalled the disc and never said they would fix it in any future production runs (I don't know even if there were any future production runs). I'm guessing Rhino felt based on projected sales, they couldn't afford to eat the cost of the recall.

izgoblin, Coco Laboy and Keith V like this.
  21. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's when I saw the show. I was ten. It was on a station out of Pittsburgh.

22. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Channel 22. WPTT. 2 episodes every weekday after school!

23. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's it.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Here's a bit of lesser known Rhino/Monkees trivia: Because the original slicks were missing, the Rhino LP cover of PACJ (and I assume, all future verions) was redrawn from scratch by Rhino artist Lisa Sutton.

izgoblin likes this.
  25. readr

readr Forum Resident

The short answer is no, some are missing....notably, Last Train To Clarksville. Funny, you can hear the backing track to LTTC on the Monkees Radio Promo from the 1st album deluxe set. You get to hear when they lost the master, probably when making that promo. Same thing with Theme From master....used making promos and then lost, probably.

cwitt1980 and Sammy Banderas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.