the bizarre HEAVY COVERS bandwagon -- "heavy covers" of "well-known songs"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooster_Ties

Rooster_Ties Senior Member Thread Starter

Was just looking at the AMG bio of Zoot earlier, which (in part) said...

Further, in the AMG review of one of their (or their only) compilation(s), it says...

I must confess to knowing practically nothing about Vanilla Fudge, and even less about Rare Earth. What "heavy covers" might they be known for?

And further more, what other "heavy covers" of "well-known" songs can we all think of??

2. Rooster_Ties

Hendrix -- Like a Rolling Stone

...is the first thing that comes to mind.

PS: Remember people, this ISN'T "well known heavy covers". The covers have to be OF well-known tunes -- tunes that were basically very well-known BEFORE they were covered in a "heavy" way.

3. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

Led Zeppelin - "Babe I'm gonna leave you"

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Vanilla Fudge did "heavy" covers of You Keep Me Hangin' On(Supremes) and Some Velvet Morning(Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood).

5. Rooster_Ties

The Firm -- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (The Righteous Brothers)

6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Probably my favorite heavy cover version is Joan Baez's Diamonds And Rust as done by Judas Priest.

7. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Mickey's Monkey by Mother's Finest (originally a Miracles song) comes to mind, but there are many others. I even remember a whole album of (mostly) Scandinavian heavy metal bands doing Abba covers.
    More recently, there's also a heavy cover of the Backstreet Boys hit Larger than life, done by German hard rock band Jaded Heart. They weren't exactly lauded for it by fans, but I think this treatment fitted the song well. LTL could easily have been a catchy hard rocking tune like those from 80's hair metal bands.

BTW Rare Earth did a few covers of Motown songs as well, Get Ready and (I know) I'm losing you particularly. They're rock reworkings, but I wouldn't call them heavy by any means...

8. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

C. C. Deville of Poison covered Hank Williams "Hey Good Lookin'".

9. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

And Poison had a hit cover with Loggins & Messina's Your mama don't dance, of course
    Kiss recorded Argent's God gave rock & roll to you for the Bogus Journey soundtrack.
    Cheap Trick did a version of Magical Mystery Tour, although I doubt if this one really can be considered 'heavy'.

Another one - Jimi Hendrix' version of Hey Joe. It was originally a Mexican traditional, I believe. I think Willy DeVille's version from the 90's will be closer to the original version, which I've never heard.

10. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Smith - "Baby It's You"
    Alien Ant Farm - "Smooth Criminal"

11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

not sure if it's a well known song but Motley Crue covered White Punks On Dope by The Tubes

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Social Distortion - Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash), Making Believe (Patsy Cline)
    Headstones - Tweeter & the Monkey Man (Wilburys)

13. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Spooky Tooth - "I Am the Walrus"

Frijid Pink - "House of the Rising Sun"

Hindu Love Gods - "Raspberry Beret"

14. jeff mai

jeff mai Forum Resident

Type O Negative covered:
    Summer Breeze
    Daytripper / If I Needed Someone (medley!)
    Cinnamon Girl

If you're after BIZARRE and HEAVY, these are right up your alley.

15. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

what is the non-heavy version of "cinammon girl" ? do you mean neil is a lightweight ?

16. jeff mai

jeff mai Forum Resident

I don't think Neil qualifies as he wrote and performed the song first!

17. jeff mai

jeff mai Forum Resident

18. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i just wanted to state, that the title of this thread is "heavy covers of well-known songs"... i suppose this includes not "heavy covers of already heavy songs"... and in my opinion neil young's original is already heavy enough...

19. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

There's a pretty heavy cover of "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins but I have no idea who does it.

Just looked it up... Nonpoint? never hoid of'em

20. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

Nazareth's pounding, swirling, paranoid interpretation of Dylan's Ballad Of Hollis Brown :thumbsup:

21. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

What's heavy to some may be complete lightweight fluff to others. Motley Crue had never sounded heavy to me- only cheesy.

Me too.:thumbsup: but Dylan's 1966 Albert Hall version rivals even that version.

22. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

-Killdozer produced heavy covers of songs like Neil Diamond's "I Am, I Said," "Unbelievable" by EMF, Lee Hazlewood's "Pour Man," and many more. The Trouser Press Record Guide compared their cover versions to a thoughtless child killing butterflies; "swooping down and pinning their flapping wings, allowing the hapless victims to tear themselves apart."
    -A.C. did grindcore covers of Rupert Holmes's "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)," Elton John's "I'm Still Standing," and the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive".
    -Borbetomagus covered "Blue Jay Way," sounding much like a chandelier being sucked into a jet engine.
    -Sebadoh screamed their way through a cover of "Pink Moon"
    -If we include instrumentals, Ruins stomped out a cover of "Blue Rondo A La Turk" for a Dave Brubeck tribute album.

23. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Didn't Riot do a cover of Al DiMeola's "Racing With The Devil On A Spanish Highway"? Well played, as far as I can remember, but sounding a bit too much like machine guns and firecrackers. (Well, I guess that's to be expected.)

On second thought, this post may not belong in a thread about"well-known songs", but what the hey.

24. Mr X

Mr X Forum Resident

Vanilla Fudge's cover of You Keep Me Hangin' On is pretty much the definition of heavy.

Recently, I heard this on the radio for the first time in years and was quite impressed.

25. BooYaa!

BooYaa! New Member

How about Laibach's Let It Be album and their Sympathy for the Devil EP?

Sunn O))))'s cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls is a sludgy version of the Metallica song, barely recognizable from the original.

Albert Kuvezin & Yat-Kha (Tuvan throat singers) did an album of covers including When The Levee Breaks, Black Magic Woman, Play With Fire and the single best cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart I've ever heard. All are pretty heavy.

I guess it depends on what you mean by heavy though. Heavy as in sludgy, or heavy as in any type of metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.