The Black Crowes have apparently broken up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I was aware of that... I've heard him do it with his dead tribute band, and it's not near as good

2. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

My own personal low point at a Crowes show was the 1-2 punch of Garden Gate and Whoa Mule in 2013. I hate Whoa Mule with a passion.

I had 2 friends with me that night on my insistence that they experience the Crowes live and in all honesty I felt like an idiot at that point. It was downright embarrassing and sadly it's my abiding memory from the last time I saw the band ....

3. Alfie Noakes

Agreed on Whoa Mule - awful

4. Spell it however you wish. This threAd is looking more And more like An AmoricA forum threAd. I thought it wAs just 'those' fAns but mAybe it's TBC fAns in generAl. SAme old Arguments and ArrogAnce.

xTraPlaylists and telepicker97 like this.
  5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Hey, to hear CR tell it, that's the sound he hears in his head. He obviously had enough unfinished business with that song to not just put it on a solo album, but to play it live repeatedly.

If you look at it like this, Chris is playing the most "anti-Crowes" TBC songs live - the songs that caused enough dissension in TBC camp to be kind of...'hot buttons.'

CR often features in his live sets :
    Little Lizzie Mae (one of the best songs from the cabin fever sessions...but left off the Crowes' album - but he put it on CRB lp)

I ain't Hiding (Rich stated specifically that he does indeed "hate that ****ing song")

Tornado (one of the songs that got Tall rebooted as .amorica - possibly co-written by Marc Ford - put on CRB lp)

Appaloosa (the song CR singled out in 2009 as representative of his new musical direction - put on CRB lp)

Hard to Handle (no explanation needed, but CRB plays it like they've never heard TBC's version. Or the Otis Redding original :\)

While Rich plays stuff like WISER TIME live, which is THE quintessential Crowes 'on the road' song.

Just as an example to show you where who's head is exactly where.

Carserguev likes this.
  6. telepicker97

If that were only as bad as it got...

Ozone Mama>I ain't Hiding live would just make you puke.

7. telepicker97

'But I LIKE By your Side' :\

Namasté, bitches!! Lol

8. Alfie Noakes

I guess my argument was that in the hands of the TBC, Appaloosa becomes a great song (IMO). With CRB, not so much.
    Tornado is a great song as well - and I do think Ford had a hand in it

I agree with Rich about ...Hidin'

9. telepicker97

The 2013 European shows were an abomination.

That's what happens when you :

1. Add a new guitarist but DON'T REHEARSE with him.

2. Don't give a crap about writing out set lists (CHRIS)

3. And take hallucinogenic drugs onstage with band mates who have barely seen each in 2 years

I'm sorry that you paid for those.

At least you got H2H>Hush>Huh :D

JPJs Bass Guitar likes this.
  10. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Yip, wish I / they hadn't bothered. It was like watching a tribute band.

telepicker97 likes this.
  11. Alfie Noakes

Really - had not heard that. I actually liked that guy better than Luther, who I thought way overplayed. Surprised to see him play with Rich and not CRB

telepicker97 likes this.
  12. telepicker97

Well, I'm not gonna talk **** on CRB - I'm friends with Muddy and Neal. I respect all those guys as players...

But CR likes the 'homespun, farm-to-table, organic' approach of CRB...

That's the problem when you spend every waking moment eating psychedelic drugs and reading books on philosophy in your 40s and other pretentious crap that you should have got out of your system in your 20s (like everyone else).

But when you become a multi-millionaire before age 26, and no one has ever held you accountable for the **** that comes out of your mouth (besides your brother), you can quite stick your head so far up your own ass, that one actually begins to enjoy the scent.

To quote Steve Gorman :

'Take Axl Rose, give him a buttload of artistic pretense and a private school education, and there's our boy.'

Dude just drinks weird psychedelic tinctures and reads and plays shows, then flies home to be with his kids.

Just...if you ever wind up on the CRB bus, DO NOT drink out of his little brown bottle - even if he offers. Don't.

And don't eat ANYTHING. If they offer you lasagna...PASS.

Unless you aren't busy for a few days.

DumbMagician, Carserguev and Jack like this.
  13. telepicker97

I LOVED Jackie in the Crowes. Not his fault CR didn't give a ****.

Jackie and Rich genuinely get off on playing guitar together. Those Wiser Times went places...starting in mid-May. Plus JG's TONE and approach fit better than Luther.

April-early May 2013 was certainly embarrassing (look up Memphis In May on beale St 2013 - OUCH)

And it's CR's fault. Everything gets done on his time.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Carserguev likes this.
  14. Alfie Noakes

I had a friend in TBC for a while and saw what they carried in their roadcases - crazy stuff. The fact that Chris still lives like that just shows he lives in a bubble and supported by sycophants

telepicker97 likes this.
  15. telepicker97

Yup.

He looks really old these days. He looks like the guy on the front of Led Zeppelin IV.

Aqualung.

Black Widow, painted8 and violetvinyl like this.
  16. Alfie Noakes

He does look bad.... but it seems to fit will in the tribute band he runs now :righton:

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

You guys are making me LMMFAO! Keep going!

18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Every time I see this thread come back up to the top, I look inside expecting to see that the Black Crowes reformed and broke up again.

Canadacrowe and telepicker97 like this.
  19. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

To each his own I guess...

Just saw 3 CRB shows in Colorado and I thought they were very, very good. Pretty good tribute band :righton:

I am no Crowes expert just a casual fan, but I have seen them many times including 3 times with Ford, 2 prior to the hiatus. I thought they were a horrible sounding mess, two guitarists turned up to 11 paying no attention to each other. They surely made great records though. I prefer Luther live, he brought a clarity to the sound that was missing and the guitarists actually appeared to be listening to each other.

#OneOccupation likes this.
  20. telepicker97

LMFAO

THAT'S FREAKING FUNNY!!

But rest assured, CR & RR have had their spats before...but they've never taken it to this level before.

It will take an act of God to remove the hurt off of bruised egos and chips on shoulders...not to mention get both Eddie AND Marc back???

Might as well try and raise John & George from the dead and have a Beatles reunion whole you're at it :\

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They're closing in on 50 now, but I expect that once they get closer to 60 they'll cool off and reform again.

22. Alfie Noakes

To each their own, and I mean that sincerely.

23. telepicker97

That could happen from time to time...but it happened more often when Ford wasn't around than when he was...he and Rich are the perfect guitar tag team. For me, and several others.
    Agreed.

See, LD was too clean for me.

And he's my friend. I love Luther. Great dude, great player. Round peg in the square hole while he was with TBC, imo.

I PREFER my Crowes to have some grit. I kept waiting for Luther to find an overdrive pedal and a guitar pick. And to lose his slide for awhile.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  24. telepicker97

Will CR be able to sing by then?? The top part of his range is already gone.

In a wasted way...

Wasted.

Away.

Gone.

(See what I did there?? :D)

jammincrowe and Alfie Noakes like this.
  25. Alfie Noakes

I'm guessing Chris will need a cash infusion soon, and TBC will get back together. He'll then talk about how good it is too be back and how the break did them good. Then he'll take his money and go back to his mindless noodling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.