Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the new Six Feet Under album Torment? Barnes' vocals are... I don't want to say not good, some people dig it, but you know. Regardless I keep playing this album for some reason. Something about it keeps me going back.

I have huge respect for Chris Barnes, no matter what I think of his vocals these days.

lenny nero likes this.
  2. stay crunchy

stay crunchy Forum Resident

Dig it!!! It's got a Johnny Cash/Leonard Cohen vibe to it.

LuxInt and lenny nero like this.
  3. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

I have it. Like his last several, I love the music but his vocals seem to be going downhill quickly, even for death metal. I know he left Florida for Oregon several years ago once they legalized weed there, maybe an abundance of sweet leaf is affecting his vocals? Don't know but like you, I'll always respect his stuff, and he always surrounds himself with good musicians, speaking of which Jack Owens is now in the band! Can't wait to hear what they come up with on the next disc.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

heavy duty Nick Cave influence also - I like it

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I've been on a Death history thing all week and this 1990 album I've listened to at least twice a day. Really like it, obviously.

6. seasonsinthesky

seasonsinthesky orphan coal, sleep, etc.

Can't believe I missed Au-Dessus back when this came out in 2015. Sooooo good.

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

Cave was who I heard also, very much!
    I considered this thread to be dead due to SH demographics; simply not enough members dig this stuff. Or if they did it was merely a portion of a varied genre playlist. I wasn't going to flog the dead horse as a solo poster..er. Then Doctor Lenny strikes!

[​IMG]

Okay.....

[​IMG]

lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Classic, maybe just a couple hairs below Entombed's first two and Dismember's debut in terms of quality.

Earache's Bandcamp page has the FDR FLAC for sale if anyone is looking for a great sounding version with the dynamics intact.

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I picked up the new Immolation earlier today and so far I'm really impressed, it's worth checking out for sure.

lenny nero, Brenald79 and Dreadnought like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Left Hand Path was actually the second most played album this week. Wow, I am going to have to compare with the more dynamic version. Very cool that that exists! Thanks for the heads up. :righton:
    Left Hand Path [Full Dynamic Range Edition], by Entombed

EDIT: I checked and my rather nice sounding CD (1990, Combat, 88561-2021-2) is the same DR 12 as the "Full Dynamic Range" download so I'll just stick. Album list - Dynamic Range Database

I love that album. It's my introduction to the band and I've since listened to each of their albums (mostly) and this 2017 album is my fav.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    lenny nero and patient_ot like this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

With all due respect to artists' right to "branch out", what in the world is this?

12. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Seconded, save for the "respect" bit.

13. stay crunchy

See post #472, buddy! The dormancy of this thread had me question my will to live!!! Glad you're back. :righton: I'm not sure how many SH members are into Extreme Metal, don't really care. I just know I enjoy the contributions from the fine folks on this thread...y'all are good people!!!
    Aside from Amon Amarth blasting in my truck for the past month or so, I haven't particularly sought out any Black or Death Metal lately.:hide: I was on an early Fate's Warning kick and then I "discovered" Savatage and that has occupied quite a bit of my listening time. I've also been dabbling in a little of what I consider Doom (I don't listen to much Doom, Stoner, etc.) and came across a band my friend turned me onto a long time ago and I just totally forgot about them...any fans here? Memento Mori:

14. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

First I've heard of this. Getting a Kind Dude vibe from this project. Not that it's a bad thing, love me some King Dude... :winkgrin: Gonna keep an eye out for the vinyl

lenny nero likes this.
  15. lenny nero

It's a beast of a disc, and for me, an early contender for dm record of the year.

Deuce66 likes this.
  16. lenny nero

I listened to this one most of the day today while I worked, and now I'm exhausted.

[​IMG]

stay crunchy and Dreadnought like this.
  17. Dreadnought

:laugh:
    That is exactly how I feel if I listen to the whole thing. Really. Usually I just listen to the beginning and the end.

lenny nero and stay crunchy like this.
  18. stay crunchy

Can there be such a thing as TOO MUCH Metal on an album??? Ha! I don't know if I've made it through the entire album in on sitting. Outer Isolation is a bit shorter (just as awesome), and my feeble little mind is still reeling!!! Good stuff indeed!

lenny nero likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

Curiosity got the better of me and I bought it. It's exactly the same as the 1990 Combat CD. Dammit. :doh:

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Along with the new Immolation I've been cranking some Nile....punishing stuff, for some reason I'm really in the mood for some DM lately.

lenny nero and Brenald79 like this.
  21. Agalloch.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

You mean exactly the same or just about the same dynamic range? It might actually be different. I don't have the '90 Combat disc, so the FDR was worth it for me. You're talking about Carnage, right? I think Earache's last CD pressing was significantly louder.

Sometimes Earache's later CD pressings are fine and just clones of earlier mastering. My Left Hand Path CD is like that, and a couple others I can't remember. Other times the later Earache CD is the only one that is easy to find for a reasonable price and has horrible loudness war mastering. Hence why I like the FDR downloads in some cases.

23. Dreadnought

The weird weather? ;) My Death Metal fest has been confined to the 90s as I catch up on tons of stuff I missed. It may have been magazine reviews that got my attention when I bought both a Morbid Angel and a Nile CD back around 2000, I think. I was instantly repelled by the relentless madness of them and returned to the relative civility of Opeth. Now for whatever reason I just have a lot more patience or tolerance and have become more receptive. I was listening to MA's Altars of Madness earlier in the week and liked it. I always liked Black Metal much more than Death but that seems to have changed. Death is more interesting, more challenging, has greater instrumental skill, generally better compositions. At least that's how I'm reacting now.
    Grave was the soundtrack last night.

Sorry patient_ot, it was Left Hand Path I bought from bandcamp. I didn't drop them into whatever program would have confirmed them to be identical masterings but I cannot distinguish them apart by ear. The dynamic range reading in Foobar have them mighty close. I omitted the two last tracks from the Combat as they're not part of the bandcamp download.

Analyzed: Entombed / Left Hand Path [1990 Combat 88561-2021-2]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR12 -0.95 dB -14.74 dB 6:39 01-Left Hand Path
    DR12 -0.95 dB -13.59 dB 4:02 02-Drowned
    DR12 -0.95 dB -14.05 dB 3:43 03-Revel In Flesh
    DR12 -0.95 dB -14.25 dB 4:11 04-When Life Has Ceased
    DR12 -0.95 dB -13.77 dB 2:04 05-Supposed To Rot
    DR12 -0.95 dB -13.63 dB 3:00 06-But Life Goes On
    DR12 -0.95 dB -14.47 dB 4:23 07-Bitter Loss
    DR12 -0.95 dB -13.75 dB 5:25 08-Morbid Devourment
    DR11 -0.95 dB -12.94 dB 2:59 09-Abnormally Deceased
    DR12 -0.95 dB -14.19 dB 3:26 10-The Truth Beyond

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Analyzed: Entombed / Left Hand Path [Full Dynamic Range Edition]

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.55 dB 6:39 01-Left Hand Path
    DR12 -0.35 dB -13.38 dB 3:59 02-Drowned
    DR12 -0.01 dB -13.79 dB 3:38 03-Revel in Flesh
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.22 dB 4:10 04-When Life Has Ceased
    DR12 -0.35 dB -13.69 dB 2:02 05-Supposed to Rot
    DR12 -0.34 dB -13.53 dB 2:58 06-But Life Goes On
    DR13 -0.16 dB -14.29 dB 4:19 07-Bitter Loss
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.64 dB 5:23 08-Morbid Devourment
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.27 dB 2:59 09-Abnormally Deceased
    DR12 -0.07 dB -13.96 dB 3:25 10-The Truth Beyond

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

2000 was a great year for DM with this and Immolation - Close To A World Below. Also, Cryptopsy - None So Vile from 1996 was reissued on Displeased Records. I remember DM freaks going nuts trying to get their hands on NSV on Wrong Again Records but it was super rare until the reissue.

Deuce66 and lenny nero like this.
  25. lenny nero

Indeed, it's an amazing disc but best taken at small doses.

Great stuff there, I don't think they've got a bad disc in the catalog. And I love how dirty sounding the old stuff is and the production has gotten slowly cleaner over the years. Too bad about Dallas leaving the band.