Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Nergal just said the other day that they already have some songs finished for it and are working hard on more. I'd guess sometime next year for the new album. Can't wait to see them again this August.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Good news. I wonder if his cancer scare has him not lay back too much. That will be the most anticipated metal album of the year.

Personally my most anticipated album of all is the follow up to Horrendous' exceptionally passionate "Anareta" (2015), whenever that comes. Super love this album!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    The Pinhead and lenny nero like this.
  3. Dreadnought

4. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Thanks, Mike F. Cool stuff.

Dreadnought likes this.
  5. Dreadnought

I've avoided listening to every single Goat I've ever encountered for fear that they'd be just plain stupid. Stupid as in low talent, gratuitous, shock value satanic schlock. I finally went ahead and gave a Goat a try and....I was right! :winkgrin: Well, I don't know for sure because I didn't look for lyrics to verify but the song titles definitely check all the boxes and can't be posted due to language. The music, not low talent and not what I expected. A Doomy Black groove. Turns out I like it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    lenny nero likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

The last track, an instrumental mainly. Seeing the turntable reminds me where is that irrepressible Alaskan @coltlacey1 ? Hope he didn't get ate by a polar bear! :cry: Need some more turntable pics.

lenny nero likes this.
  7. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

So no Goatwhore for you? That's a shame.

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I'm always curious what spawn has come forth from the mother source. I mean of course Chopin's Sonata #2 The Funeral. That was the first appearance of slow doom laden music.

Anyway my fave is Witch Mountain which I would think qualifies as Doom something or other. A long running band from the Pacific NW they reached a higher level when Uta Plotkin joined them in late 2009 or thereabouts. They issued three strong albums with Uta before she tired of the whole thing apparently. Uta has a truly outstanding voice and remarkably doesn't lose pitch accuracy no matter how loud she sings. She also has a forceful half whispering voice.

The three albums are South of Salem, Cauldron of the Wild and Mobile of Angels. They were issued in the US on vinyl by Mountastic and in the EU by Svart , sometimes in 2 LP gatefold.. For CD Profound Lore has been the US and Canada label. CD issues in the EU are limited to Mobile of Angels AFAIK.

Witch Mountain
    [​IMG]

South of Salem Svart green
    [​IMG]

Cauldron of the Wild Svart Cokebottle green
    [​IMG]

Mobile of Angels Mountastic
    [​IMG]

9. Dreadnought

No, that WAS my prejudicial stance. It's not that I was convinced I was correct. How could I honestly condemn something I didn't try. It was more that there's so much out there that I would just pass over Goaty offerings for other things that seemed more promising. To be specific about my Goat beef, it was that I thought it unimaginative and therefore lazy to grab the horns as a symbol of your band's rebelliousness. Well, I'm no longer Goatless now. A-herding I shall go. :)

I did not know that it was a Chopin piece which I heard hundreds of times through all the 20th century pop culture appropriations. :righton:
    Yes, she really does have an outstanding voice. Regarding those photos, very nice Mr Bass! :cool:

lenny nero and Mr Bass like this.
  10. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Loves me some Witch Mtn, I've got these 3 on cd and play them often. Uta was great and her replacement isn't too shabby either, judging from some of the live stuff on youtube. Hopefully they'll get around to recording a new one this year. Love the vinyl pics!

Speaking of doom, new Pallbearer this Friday. Love this song and vid

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Nothing to do with either death or black metal, but, if you should go goat hunting, don't forget Goatsnake's latest, Black Age Blues. One of the two best albums of 2015.

Dreadnought likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

You are right! Listened to it and it is a superior album. Quite a cut above others who go for that particular bluesy groove. Who could resist "Jimi's Gone"? I also dig the self-assured vocal delivery.
    Yes, I will pet critters that cross my path in the future.

13. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Pete Stahl's the man.

Dreadnought likes this.
  14. Mr Bass

Thanks but I messed up on the Cauldron of the Wild description as that is the Mountastic pressing. I do have the Svart cokebottle green vinyl but took the wrong picture. Just so people don't think I'm colorblind.

Dreadnought likes this.
  15. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Got this today in a larger order of stuff. Killer. Medium-paced BM with good production.
    [​IMG]

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. Dreadnought

SOLD! I didn't even need to hear a second track. 4:00 into this was enough to seal it. A rather chatty fellow. :laugh:

fuzzface likes this.
  17. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Glad you dug it. My blind buys pay off more times than not. Lol

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

I'm liking these Brazilians. I'm not crazy about the bulk of each song as it is rather too similar, within songs and between songs, but the lead guitar at the end of those songs is pretty damn good. I'll give it a number of spins to determine if it's personally purchase worthy. I think it's better than this single song indicates.
    Interitus, by Escarnium

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  19. Mr Bass

Is it just me or would these bands be better if the vocalists flipped between them?

20. Dreadnought

For me the more interesting of the two scenarios would be Goatsnake's Pete Stahl fronting Koldbrann. His solid, reassuring, just plain cool vocal laid over that Blackery.

Giving these toe tappers a go.

Mr Bass likes this.
  21. Mr Bass

I totally agree but I felt badly to leave the Koldbrann vocalist without a band.:D

Dreadnought likes this.
  22. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Nergal's side project Me and That Man dropped today. Great stuff. Imagine Nick Cave and King Dude having a baby that was adopted by Unchained era Johnny Cash.

23. Dreadnought

I suppose I'll give it a spin. Cave was in heavy, heavy rotation with me in the Good Son, Henry's Dream, Let Love In time period 1990-94. And the then resurrected Cash was automatic. What I got most out of those "American" records was how superb were the songs themselves and that led me to seek out the originals. I certainly didn't need to become familiar with the originals by The Beatles or Tom Petty, etc but I did for say Glen Campbell and I became a fan of him and others. Such craftsmanship of song.

Regarding Desaster' s The Oath of an Iron Ritual, NOPE! :thumbsdow
    Regarding Escarnium's Interitus, YEP :thumbsup::thumbsup: "Two thumbs way up" as Roger and Ebert used to say. I like it a lot!

24. Dreadnought

Dubbed but it is "Oficial" :D

25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Black metal with good production?

fuzzface likes this.