The Black Hole (1979)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Considering that 2014 is the movie's 35th anniversary, I'd be VERY surprised if Disney's marketing department doesn't have this slated for blu-ray release next year...

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Sometimes people pay $30+ for the P&S LaserDisc of this movie.

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Raise The Titanic would be a nice score to have as well.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Trust me, they look better now. There were some terrible, terrible effects shots; Ellenshaw himself told me 20 years ago that they didn't have enough time to clean them up at the lab, because the film was rushed to release. In particular, he was upset that the floating robot wires were so easily visible. As far as I know, those are still visible in the HD release.

5. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

This showed on one of the high def channels not that long ago. The blue screen work is terrible, with huge quality loss on every blue screen shot. The matte paintings and overall visual design are still great, though. I love the Cygnus and all of it's illogical open space. The wires are definitely more visible. This is NOT a good movie...but I would buy a Blu-Ray of this in a heartbeat.

Stupid childhood nostalgia.

6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Blu-Ray please!

The Intrada released soundtrack is amazing btw!

7. It would be nice if they would clean up some of those shots digitally--allowing like Star Trek:The Motion Picture Director's Cut--director array Nelson to also do a re-edit me with the visual effects elements recomposited. It'll never happen. It's not a great film by any means but it is entertaining and has some interesting moments.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will reveal that the composites look better now, and I think the film looks better in some ways than it did in theaters. A re-edit ain't gonna happen.

9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Ah yes, the "searching for habitable life" film. Awful, with a hideously pretentious ending.

... and something of a guilty pleasure - mainly because of Maximillian.

10. Oh I don't doubt it. Just saying it would be nice.

11. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

I remember it being laughably bad.

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Glad to get the score of it....

13. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The good:

The premise was interesting. Set and robot design was cool. The movie, as a whole, looked pretty good. The interplay between the characters and robots, and robots and other robots, was interesting. Great soundtrack.

The bad:
    Not enough plot to fill out the movie. The science was handled ineptly to say the least (a giant fireball rolling through the ship?!?) The acting was variable in quality. The special effects were dumb, for lack of a better word (see giant fireball)

Comparables:
    Saturn 3 - Even stupider plot and worse acting, but more fun to watch
    Silent Running - Again, not enough plot to fill out the movie, but at least it's intelligently crafted

wayneklein likes this.
  14. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I have fond memories of seeing this as a double feature (I think with 101 Dalmatians) at a drive-in. It was perhaps the scariest thing I'd ever seen when the masked automatons' true nature was revealed. I'm so find, in fact, that I plan on not seeing it again lest my nostalgia be ruined. I call it the Speed Racer Effect, as I stare at that half watched season one DVD on the shelf.

I think of the film daily, though. Every time I have to unlock my iPod, my eye sees this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375829065.302785.jpg

... and this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375829076.154926.jpg

... but my mind sees this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375829084.950614.jpg

... then this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375829104.576375.jpg

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The "cute" robots should be blasted into space, especially if they sound like Slim Pickens...

Still a guilty pleasure film that I have fond memories of seeing at the theater when it was released (I was 9 years old at the time). Love the spaceship design and the completely incomprehensible ending.

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Toby Benjamin

Toby Benjamin Forum Resident

I wouldve hated to be a writer in Hollywood in the few years after 77. All those execs desperately pushing for the next big space movie. I mean, look what they did with James Bond in 79.

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The ending is really cool though.

18. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

A frustrating one, The Black Hole. With a number of potentially intriguing and/or frightening concepts and components, more than a good start at an intriguing and creepy atmosphere, a vast budget and a score with some good initial ideas, it's such a shame it goes with such a stilted and stuffy dramatic approach and revolves around a poorly established, cut rate Captain Nemo. Fortunately, in space no one can hear you yawn.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Apparently I didn't like it when I reviewed it in 2004. At least I think calling it a film that "fails in every conceivable way" means I didn't like it! :D

20. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Sorry?...Do you mean that "Moonraker" is a bad movie? :realmad:

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cars fans should dig the voice of Mater's in this space oddity. :)

22. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

"Moonraker" was a fun Bond movie and I remember loving it at the time it came out when I was about 13. Over time, however, it has lost some prestige in the world of Bond fandom for being too overblown. (Yes, even for Bond.) I still like it well enough, but it's no "Goldfinger", and it hasn't held up as well as the film it preceded, "For Your Eyes Only". That said, I think it's Moore's 3rd best Bond flick and doesn't deserve some of the criticism it gets.

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I remember seeing "The Black Hole" in the theater when it came out. My friends and I all agreed that it was a snooze and would have rather watched "Space 1999" but I remember the heavy promotion it received much more so than anything about the film itself.

24. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I remember watching this for about 5 minutes on cable once, which was about 4:59 more than it deserved. Just awful.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Moonraker" isn't a bad Bond movie - it's a TERRIBLE Bond movie!

mozz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.