The Black Hole (1979)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think Moonraker is better than both Live And Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun.

If nothing else Moonraker has a fantastic score.

Rocker likes this.
  2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yes, another John Barry classic.

It was also better than "Octopussy" and "A View To A Kill". When I saw it in the theatre, people applauded after the stunt scene where he jumped out of the plane and everyone seemed to have enjoyed the ride at the end of the film. It was a real crowd-pleaser. It was the exact opposite of when I saw "The Black Hole".

It WAS over the top and often silly with a comic-book megalomaniac villain, but that's what people were looking for with Bond at the time and the movie delivered.

3. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

Yes, it is so terrible that i love it. Whenever i want to upset my wife, i only have to play the Moonraker DVD

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

5. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

MOONRAKER is usually slammed but it is one of my favorites. Not exactly a great Bond movie, to be sure, but enjoyable all the same.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Moonraker has a great score. Doesn't even sound like a Bond score at all.

7. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Several friends and I went to see it when it was released. It was a big Christmas movie and we were looking forward to it, especially after articles about it like the one in Starlog. We were really bummed out about how bad it really was. When we got back to the apartment we all watched a movie that we had never heard of at the time, "It's a Wonderful Life." We got in a much better mood.

[​IMG]

8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

What is Disney thinking by not releasing this on Blu ray?

Billy Budapest and Galley like this.
  9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I saw it in the theater when I was a little kid. I wasn't super-impressed, but I think it had some decent moments. I remember the menacing robot, "Max" was pretty scary. And I liked the junky robot (who dies, I think). I didn't like the main robot though, -sort of Jar-Jar Binks annoying. I think Anchor Bay released it on VHS in the late 90's. It still holds up as a cult-piece.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A perfect HD restoration exists and looks fantastic. In fact, I'd say it's the best the movie has ever looked. I can say no more.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Did this perfect restoration magically turn "Black Hole" into something other than a thoroughly awful film? :laugh:

12. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I was at Disneyland last week and thought about this movie for the first time in decades. As I was standing in line for Space Mountain, I wondered if there was a ride in Tomorrowland that used to be a Black Hole ride, but was changed into something else.

Chad

13. Oatsdad

Don't think so...

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Heh. It is bad. This is one that WOULD really like to see re-made.

15. Oatsdad

It's been done! ;)

[​IMG]

sparkydog likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It also came out on DVD from Anchor Bay in 1999. Disney later released their own version. I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney movie club offers the Blu Ray at some point.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

According to some Disney forums, there were "Black Hole" window displays on Main Street, exhibits near Space Mountain and some costumed characters from the movie in both Anaheim and Orlando.

18. DreadPikathulhu

It's one of the few movies I clearly remember seeing in the theatre. I even had the action figures. How many films can boast Anthony Perkins and Ernest Borgnine toys?

[​IMG]

Galley, BadJack and sparkydog like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Same movie. Looks better.

Derek Gee likes this.
  20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have no idea. The studio owns the master. Understand that many studios own tons of HD and 4K masters that they're just archiving, thousands of films and series that may not "technically" be available yet.

bferr1 likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

I've always enjoyed the effects and the score is good, if repetitive. The rest.... Bleh.

23. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I've always had a soft spot for this flawed movie. It can't figure out if it wants to be "Star Wars" or "2001". And the music's kinda cool.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The story goes that Anthony Perkins didn't know the movie was going to be so bad until he got to the set. Once he realized it, he lobbied hard to get killed off earlier in the film, and that's what his character exits about 1/2-way in.

25. Oatsdad

So you're saying you CAN polish a turd after all! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.