The Black Hole (1979)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Barnabas Collins, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

Excellent. If you wish to make a Black Hole Blu-ray from scratch, you must first invent the transfer.

This is probably my favorite live-action Disney film, one I've bought two or three times in the last fifteen years and if there's a Blu-ray in the works, I'll buy that without hesitation. Maximilian remains to this day my absolute favorite cinematic kill-bot and USS Cygnus is the most beautiful starship ever put to film. I think I've always liked V.I.N.CENT; the older I got, the more I appreciated a sarcastic sharpshooting robot sidekick that always seemed to have a good rejoinder as needed. I liked pretty much all the visual design of the film; the sentry robots were appropriately ominous looking and the robot crew were creepy for a reason, as it turned out.

If I remember right, there was a nascent movement in favor of persuading Tadlow Music to commission a re-recording of the score with Nic Raine and the City of Prague Philharmonic. At the time, nobody thought the 1979 source tapes were available/useable, so I'd been stuck with MIDI versions of the main theme since the 1990s. Of course, Intrada's announcement of the album was a joyous event.

As for Moonraker, I was disappointed to learn of Tadlow's stalled effort to re-record the score. It might be the widespread use of the shuttles, John Barry's score, Derek Meddings' model work or maybe even Lois Chiles, but I like that movie. It's only a couple of edits away from being a solid Bond film, at least as I remember it. Too bad one last pass wasn't made over the script or in the cutting room.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It has to fossilize first, so yes, you can polish a coprolite. Now's about the right time! :)

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I thought the ending was great.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Scared the heck out of me, and I tried to rationalize how he got into the robot suit.

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Perhaps then we'll see 40th anniversary blu ray release a few years.

6. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

The music is the best part! :)

Derek

7. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'm probably the only freak who thinks that the back of the current Dodge Charger looks like Maximilian, right?

[​IMG]

scotpagel, Billy Budapest and Meng like this.
  8. I had a V.I.N.C.E.N.T. plastic model kit. It was really detailed, with lots of parts and options so that you could build it in every possible configuration the robot was seen in the movie. I remember it was a bit frustrating figuring out just how I wanted to build it!

9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I had this one. Unfortunately, it didn't look quite so cool when I finished it..

[​IMG]

This guy did a pretty good job. Painting those yellow areas was almost impossible:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/CYGNUS PAGE.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.