The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I'm going to be tuning in when this bows. Spader is an interesting actor.

I have concerns about this being a Lechter type retread. And if the show can live up to all this hype.

My fingers are crossed.............

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm going to DVR the pilot just because Spader is in it. But, nothing so far makes me think this will be good.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

watched this last night.......very very good.

this one is a keeper.

spader is outstanding, and the girl is right there with him.

4. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

...also did the DVR thing
    always liked Spader - intense guy, gifted actor...funny too!
    time will tell but early impressions are good

5. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

James Spader is as marvelous as always, and I'd watch him read the phone book, so I'm in. I'm glad he's here to assuage the total bummer of losing my pals Dexter Morgan and Walter White the same dang week. The show seems fun enough and is much more espionage-y than Hannibal or The Following. I like the ambiguity of his character thus far.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I was pleasantly surprised. Wife found it a little formulaic ("I knew there was going to be some issue with her [spoiler--edited]", but we're in for next week.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I imagine the creators' pitch to the network went something like this: "Homeland" meets "Silence Of The Lambs".

8. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I really enjoyed it too.. It does having a little "Silence Of The Lambs" in it, but there's enough going on to want to watch more.

9. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

LOL.. Even with your edit, I knew what you meant, and I thought the same thing last night.

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm wondering if I should have watched "Hostages" instead?

Since they're up against each other in the same time slot, I wonder which will win out?

I thought too much of last night's episode of "The Black List" hinged on the ineptitude of the feds.

And the elaborate confinement chamber for Spader's character at the black site was an absurd gimmick.

11. I thought it was a funny deadpan nod to "Silence of the Lambs". I'm intrigued, I liked the scenes where we found out nothing was what we thought it was. There's lots to think about and how often can you say that after watching a new TV pilot these days?

12. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought it was a great pilot. I'm not convinced it can maintain that level as a series. But, I'm in for Episode 2.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Spader is my favorite actor of late! Loved him in Boston Legal...he needs to do more movies, but from what I've read he only works when he needs the money.:)

Licorice pizza likes this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Spader was unquestionably the star of the show. Sure there were a few cliches here and there, but, overall, an entertaining show.

I like how they threw Keen's entire life out the window, making her question everything from this point forward. It opens up all kinds of possibilities.

My wife is a big Castle fan, so we split the viewing. (I gave up on the Raiders.) Apparently, both shows were great.

15. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We just got done watching it, and we both think it's got potential. I was really hoping the newbie FBI agent would have actually said something like, "I'm having a Silence of the Lambs moment here..." while she was looking at Spader in his cell prior to going in for the first time. That could have helped nullify the obvious comparisons. Can you tell I'm a fan of Joss Whedon? :p

We really enjoyed it.

16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I want her to say, "Quid pro quo, Dr. Lechter." and have Spader say something like, "Cute.".

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well said. I think it's amazing that Spader was willing to look fat and bald for the show, which is the total opposite of what most actors his age are willing to do. The show's getting very, very good reviews so far... but I wonder how far they can take this. Some ideas like this are better off in a limited series where they're only doing 12 episodes a year. Trying to sustain this idea for a long time could be very tricky.

18. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

He looks like he's channeling Spacey in "seven".

19. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Watched it, really enjoyed it, and almost fell off my chair when I noticed scenes filmed in nearby Pleasantville, NY.

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I enjoyed it more than I anticipated. If only Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. could have this sort of "tone."

Dave likes this.
  21. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Watched this on Hulu last night.

Lots of plot advancement for a first episode. Seems like they could have held off the reveal about the husband until later (for more of a "gotcha"), but I assume the writers know where they're going.

22. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Just a great, edge of your seat, riveting pilot episode. We are very anxious to see where they go with this show.

Licorice pizza and Larry Mc like this.
  23. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Together, Castle and the Black List killed CBS' new series Hostages

Dave and dlokazip like this.
  25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I watched the pilot...yawn. This is just too generic and derivative, I'll be skipping it.