The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. I have Norman Blake's 1974 album The Fields Of November (great sleeve) on a on a Flying Fish CD that also includes all of the 1975 album Old And New.

[​IMG]

old and new - norman blake (Flying Fish)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Just listened to High Lonesome: The Story of Bluegrass Music CD on a trip this weekend. It's from the documentary of the same name. Really like it and glad I picked it up.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I've mentioned this in another Bluegrass related and it deserves another mention here.

It's time for the labels to crank out new release vinyl. I just recently attended Albuquerque's record and cd show and basically sold what little bluegrass lp's I had to several different people. It's hard enough to try to buy the 60's-80's lp's at used stores and it's time for new releases to come out on vinyl-full speed ahead!

4. Recent posts mentioning Norman Blake convinced me it was about time I listened to this wee gem again.

[​IMG]

2 * NORMAN BLAKE & TONY RICE (Rounder) CD
    with
    Norman Blake (guitar, mandolin, vocals), Tony Rice (guitar, vocals), Doc Watson (guitar), Nancy Blake (cello, mandolin),
    Mark Schatz (acoustic bass)

Dated 1990

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    trd, mando_dan, Spadeygrove and 2 others like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That’s a really good one, I’d love to see a lp of it.

Fender Relic and Spadeygrove like this.
  6. [​IMG]

Hand-Picked | 25 Years of Bluegrass on Rounder Records - Various Artists (Rounder) 2CD

Big Sunday afternoon session listening to this 49 track double CD. It sure serves as a great introduction to the genre, especially for anyone partial to Bluegrass vocalists. I already have about 4 or 5 of these tracks elsewhere, so this is a must have compilation for me, plus it is great value for money with 2CDs costing less than the price of 1 - or so it claims on the front sleeve!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. [​IMG]

DGBX - The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience (Acoustic Disc) CD
    with
    David Grisman (mandolin, vocals), Keith Little (banjo, guitar, vocals), Jim Nunally (guitar, vocals), Samson Grisman (bass), Chad Manning (fiddle)

Recorded 2006

"Bluegrass has always been my first big musical thrill since I first heard it nearly 50 years ago. Now at last, with these wonderfully talented and energetic younger musicians, I get to experience that feeling on a continuing basis....." - David Grisman.

I hesitated buying this album initially, but am glad now that I have a copy. The above quote from the back of the sleeve probably sums up very accurately why I am enjoying this record much more than I thought I would.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Is that the Keith Little from Vern Williams Band or the other one? I don't remember what either of them look like...both great players, in any case.

The funny thing is the VWB one would probably be too old to be that guy. But I saw the other KL with Mac Martin in 2005, and although my memory is dim I don't think he looks like that. Could there be three banjo playing Keith Littles?

10. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I first saw him and New Grass Revival perform at the then annual Hillbilly Homecoming in Maryville, TN in 1978. They were the last act and I'm sure it was intended that way. All the old timers and traditionalists in the audience got up and left leaving us youngsters to enjoy the show! The last time seeing Sam was October this past year at the Bijou Theater in Knoxville. Hard to believe 40 years have gone by.

Can't wait to see this!

Lownotes, trd and Spadeygrove like this.
  12. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

13. William E. McEuen presents

[​IMG]

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" featuring The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (U.A. 3LP | Capitol 2CD)

with

V
    arious Artists

Released 1972

What a huge, successful undertaking this turned out to be!

Brilliant sound and packaging on the triple LP.

Excellent sound too on the Capitol double CD.

[​IMG]

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Dok likes this.
  15. DPR

DPR Active Member

One of my favorite bands live with a high school orchestra backing them about 2/3's of the way through. A really great performance with nice sound through headphones.
    Flatt Lonesome.

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Last Sunday at the New Haven, CT Record Show I found some nice Bluegrass vinyl, $1-5. Here are some pics:

upload_2018-11-18_11-38-40.png
    upload_2018-11-18_11-39-47.png upload_2018-11-18_11-40-30.png upload_2018-11-18_11-41-4.png

17. Jerry

That Starday “Bluesgrass Samplers” is a 1962 release, and has some fantastic cuts. The lead song is “Eatin’ Out of Your Hand” by the Lonesome Pine Fiddlers. A great tune covered by Don Reno and Bill Harrell, and later by Old & In The Way. Also a great surprise is Buzz Buzby’s “Talking Banjo.” When I saw Frank Wakefield years ago, he would do a version on mandolin.

If you don’t know who a Frank Wakefield is, start digging!

The County LP from Kenny Baker, a Bill Monroe Bluegrass Boy, is from 1968. Fellow Bluegrass Boys backing him are Roland White, Del McCoury and Vic Jordan. Killer fiddlin’!

The JD Crowe band is JD, Larry Rice, Doyle Lawson and JD Slone.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    McLover, bzfgt and DPR like this.
  18. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Saw Billy Strings in Houston a week back, whilst we're on the bluegrass. Mind blown. As a guitarist, learning mandolin and poor banjo player, I tried to watch all three at once (sorry, bass player chap!).

There's a YouTube video of the Tinfoil and Turmoil solo where you can see me at the front, essentially motionless, being schooled.

JRM, ianuaditis and Jerry like this.
  19. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Furthermore, I have been listening to the new Infamous Stringdusters Telluride live album. Went to the shelves to remind myself what else I have by them - nothing. Could have sworn I had a few albums.

Currently listening to Hot Buttered Rum. Guess I'm jamgrassing today.

ianuaditis and Jerry like this.
  20. Jerry

Buzz Busby doing "Lost." There's an earlier version with lotsa reverb, but this one is much better. Better tempo, and Scotty Stoneman just rips and drips the fiddle all over this one. Old & In The Way covered it. Let's see which is a favorite.

Scotty Stoneman on fiddle, on Starday. I think Bill Emerson is on banjo. 1957 if I recall.

First version. 1955. Reverb City. Scotty Stoneman on this version too I believe. Don Stover on banjo.
    Buzz Busby - Lost (First Version)

Old & In The Way. "Lost" at 38:56. What a great band!
    Old & In The Way 6 6 73 Capitol Theater, Passaic, NJ

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    McLover, DPR, Spadeygrove and 2 others like this.
  21. Jerry

Anybody hear of the The Bluegrass Dropouts? The band played in 1968, and members were Bill Keith, David Grisman, Richard Greene and Peter Rowan. There’s a live show, 3/9/68 from Clark U. In Worcester, MA, on YouTube.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The Blue Grass Boys with Grisman in for Monroe...

Jerry likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Picked this 3 LP box set up in cold/windy Erie,PA today at the GW.

[​IMG]

DLant, Jackie P, Retro Hound and 3 others like this.
  24. [​IMG]

Muddy Roads - David Grisman Bluegrass Experience (Acoustic Disc) CD

[
    Old-Time Music of Clarence Ashley & Doc Watson]

[​IMG]

The quality of the recording and musicianship is as good as you expect from David Grisman's Acoustic Disc. The only instrumental tracks on the album are two wonderful versions of - 'Muddy Roads' - one is an 'Old Time' version. The selection of songs is excellent and nearly every track has a different vocalist, making it sound a bit like a various artists compilation.

Two minor gripes. The CD is packaged in a (thin) cardboard gate-fold sleeve and the disc is housed in a tight fitting half cut out cardboard pocket inside.

Fender Relic and Retro Hound like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I busted this out to play in the car the other day:

Christmas Time's A-Comin': The Essential Bluegrass Christmas Collection
    [​IMG]

Dennis0675, Retro Hound and budwhite like this.