The Bob Seger Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

Early Seger Vol. 1

From Wiki

Early Seger Vol. 1 is a compilation album by American rock singer–songwriter Bob Seger, released in 2009. The album, which includes archival material from the 1970s and 1980s, was released exclusively to Meijer stores on November 24, 2009. Since November 30, 2009 it has also been available for purchase at BobSeger.com, both on CD and as a digital download (in MP3 and FLAC). Eventually Early Seger Vol. 1 became available at Amazon.com on February 1, 2010. "Gets Ya Pumpin" and "Midnight Rider" are the first two singles from the album.

On October 25, 2009, the album title and cover art were revealed by photographer Tom Weschler and music journalist Gary Graff on WXYZ-TV's Action News This Morning. The compilation album was originally conceived to complement their collaborative book Travelin' Man: On the Road and Behind the Scenes with Bob Seger. The photograph of Bob Seger used for the cover of the album was taken by Weschler at Detroit's Cobo Arena in September 1975 and is also featured in the book. A few days after its public revealing, the cover art for Early Seger Vol. 1 was published alongside the album's tracklist on Seger's official website.

The album features a collection of songs taken from three of Seger's pre-Beautiful Loser albums, some of them remixed or re-recorded in parts, and also four previously unreleased tracks. The previously available material comes from the albums Smokin' O.P.'s (1972), Back in '72 (1973), and Seven (1974), only the former being still in print. Initially Early Seger Vol. 1 would have been a compilation culled from just these three albums (hence the "Early Seger" tag), but when the project really started to take shape in September 2009, Seger made the decision to include some unreleased tracks from his archives. According to Punch Andrews, Seger worked on about a dozen unreleased songs and picked out his favorite four tracks.

Apart from "Gets Ya Pumpin'", which was written in 1973 and recorded in 1977, these unreleased songs originate from the mid-1980s and were originally considered for inclusion on the 1986 album Like a Rock. The song "Wildfire" was about to be the title track of that album at one point, but finally it didn't even make the tracklist. "Star Tonight" was written and recorded by Bob Seger in 1985 but initially released in a version by Don Johnson, with Willie Nelson on backing vocals, on his solo debut album Heartbeat (1986).

The compilation album's opening song, a cover version of The Allman Brothers Band's "Midnight Rider" from Back in '72, has been out of print for decades and is available on Compact Disc for the very first time. "Get Out of Denver" and "U.M.C." were available on CD in the early 1990s but have been out of print since soon after the release. All tracks have been remastered and/or remixed; additionally some of the recordings have been enhanced with overdubs, which were cut at Yessian Studios in Farmington Hills, Michigan and Kid Rock's Allen Roadhouse recording studio in Clarkston, Michigan in September and October 2009. Most notably The Motor City Horns, a Detroit based horn section, which has worked with Bob Seger before, added horn arrangements to "Gets Ya Pumpin'" and "Long Song Comin'", a completely re-recorded version of a song originally released on Seven in 1974. From the same album comes "Get Out of Denver", which now features a reworked guitar solo by Jim McCarty of Mitch Ryder's Detroit Wheels, The Rockets, Mystery Train and Helldriver. Guitarist Marlon Young and keyboard player Jimmie Bones, both members of Kid Rock's Twisted Brown Trucker Band, also took part in the sessions. Bones is featured with a piano solo on "Gets Ya Pumpin'".

In the future there will likely be additional volumes in the Early Seger-series but so far no determination has been made.

Track listing
    All songs written and composed by Bob Seger, except where noted.

No. Title Original Album Length
    1. "Midnight Rider" (Gregg Allman, Robert Payne) Back in '72 2:23
    2. "If I Were a Carpenter" (Tim Hardin) Smokin' O.P.'s 3:49
    3. "Get Out of Denver" Seven 2:46
    4. "Someday" Smokin' O.P.'s 2:34
    5. "U.M.C. (Upper Middle Class)" Seven 3:17
    6. "Long Song Comin'" (2009 re-recording) Seven 3:50
    7. "Star Tonight" previously unreleased 3:40
    8. "Gets Ya Pumpin'" previously unreleased 4:09
    9. "Wildfire" previously unreleased 4:37
    10. "Days When the Rain Would Come" previously unreleased 4:16

Attached Files:

2. JamieC

3. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Great thread. I've been listening to the early Seger stuff all day ... now if I could just find a copy of Noah, I'd have all of them (well, except the "Yellow Berets" single). Hard to justify paying too much for it though, since I have already had the experience of hearing it. heh.

4. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Just a quick note on Jim McCarty... he was also the main talent for the Detroit Blues Band which I believe he formed (or became a member of) right after The Rockets. We saw them quite a few times before we left Detroit. I'm so glad he made it past that stage in his career. While his playing was still excellent, he had gotten down to skin and bones (ala Johnny Winter) and we worried what him and the boys were up to in their customized van between sets. Great to see he's still on the mind of such talent as Bob Seger, too.

5. rsauer

rsauer Forum Resident

6. JamieC

Finishing this thread for now(waiting for Early Seger 2 or Bob's next LP). I would like to thank everyone who has participated especially Rockritr for sharing his interviews with Bob(Yeah, I know I had actually quoted some of them via the Seger Files). So after the Ultimate hits set we will go on a hiatus leaving this as an all purpose Bob Seger thread. Please feel free to come in at any time to discuss Seger's recordings. Once again thanks to all.
    Turn the page.......

Attached Files:

7. JamieC

Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets

From Wiki
    Ultimate Hits: Rock and Roll Never Forgets is a compilation album by American rock singer–songwriter Bob Seger. The double-disc album was released on November 21, 2011 and contains 26 remastered tracks from throughout Seger's career, which spans more than four decades. Included are the original mono version of "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man", Seger's first hit with The Bob Seger System from 1968, the classic Christmas song "The Little Drummer Boy" from 1987's A Very Special Christmas, which makes its first appearance on a Seger album, and previously unreleased cover versions of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train" and Little Richard's "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey (Going Back to Birmingham)." There is also a Walmart exclusive edition that includes the bonus track "Living Inside My Heart," a song from the soundtrack of the 1986 film About Last Night..., which has also never before been released on any Bob Seger album. Two songs on this compilation album are edited compared to the original releases: "We've Got Tonight" is the single edit, which is about one minute shorter than the album version, and "Katmandu" is a newly edited version which omits the second verse, making the song also about one minute shorter compared to the original album version.

Track listing
    All songs written and composed by Bob Seger, except where noted.

Disc 1
    1. "Old Time Rock and Roll" (George Jackson, Thomas E. Jones III) Stranger in Town 3:16
    2. "Hollywood Nights" Stranger in Town 5:03
    3. "Night Moves" Night Moves 5:25
    4. "Mainstreet" Night Moves 3:44
    5. "Roll Me Away" The Distance 4:41
    6. "Turn the Page" (live) Live Bullet 5:14
    7. "Her Strut" Against the Wind 3:54
    8. "Still the Same" Stranger in Town 3:25
    9. "You'll Accomp'ny Me" Against the Wind 4:01
    10. "We've Got Tonight" (single edit) Stranger in Town 3:41
    11. "Like a Rock" Like a Rock 5:58
    12. "Fire Lake" Against the Wind 3:34
    13. "Tryin' To Live My Life Without You" (Eugene Williams) Nine Tonight 4:09
    Total length: 56:05

Disc 2
    1. "Rock and Roll Never Forgets" Night Moves 3:54
    2. "Against the Wind" Against the Wind 5:34
    3. "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" Ramblin' Gamblin' Man 2:25
    4. "The Fire Down Below" Night Moves 4:28
    5. "Travelin' Man" (live) Live Bullet 4:40
    6. "Beautiful Loser" (live) Live Bullet 3:42
    7. "Shakedown" (Harold Faltermeyer, Keith Forsey, Bob Seger) Beverly Hills Cop II Soundtrack 4:03
    8. "Shame on the Moon" (Rodney Crowell) The Distance 4:55
    9. "Katmandu" (edited) Beautiful Loser 5:00
    10. "The Little Drummer Boy" (Harry Simeone, Henry Onorati, Katherine K. Davis) A Very Special Christmas 3:31
    11. "Wait for Me" Face the Promise 3:43
    12. "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey (Going Back to Birmingham)" (Richard Penniman) previously unreleased 2:07
    13. "Downtown Train" (Tom Waits) previously unreleased 3:59
    Total length: 52:01

Walmart exclusive bonus track
    14. "Living Inside My Heart" About Last Night Soundtrack 3:30
    Total length: 55:31

Attached Files:

8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I dont know why edited versions of "We've Got Tonight" and "Katmandu" would be included since there's obviously room for the full versions. Another thing that bugs me is the inclusion of "Little Drummer Boy". I just hate when Christmas songs are included on an anthology. It's not like it's rare or anything, he shouldve included the studio version of "Nine Tonight" instead...

Benno123 likes this.
  9. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Still debating about picking this up. If I do it'll be the Wal Mart version for the extra song.

10. JamieC

"Katmandu" is a newly edited version which omits the second verse, making the song also about one minute shorter compared to the original album version.

What exactly was the point of cutting THIS? I am offended that his home area where "The folks out there have given me their best" are now cut out of the story. Bad Bob. Bad,bad Bob! Over 60 SECONDS?

I got no quarrel with the Midwest,
    The folks out there have given me their best.
    I lived there all my life, I've been their guest,
    I sure have loved it, too.
    I'm tired of looking at the TV. news.
    I'm tired of driving hard and paying dues.
    I figure, baby, I've got nothing to lose,
    I'm tired of being blue.

11. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

He never sings that verse live and hasn't for a long time now. So for whatever reason he doesn't like it and now can get a studio version out there that matches his current live version. Sometimes less can be more - I don't agree in this case, but I'm not the songwriter.

Early Seger Vol. 1 is worth it to me just for Wildfire - what a great song. Midnight Rider is edited with a fade before the album ending. People said that Get Out Of Denver on Early Seger had a redone guitar solo but I'm pretty sure they're mistaken and it's the same track as the original. Love the horns on Long Song Comin' as well.

I still haven't picked up Ultimate Hits. If I do I'll probably go to WalMart to get Livin' Inside My Heart - that track could indeed use a remastering compared to the soundtrack album.

Thanks so much for leading us through this great thread, Jamie!

- Joe

12. JamieC

13. JamieC

Gee September came and went.
    Anyhoo, I found this video of Bob and the Last Heard doing East Side Story. Looks awesome. Check it out, Bubba was just a freakin' KID!

hi_watt likes this.
  14. JamieC

First off, I do not hear an accoustic at all. Second, making believe that kettle drum sticks will make that drum kit sound like a bongo. Ah the joys of cheap lip syncing.

15. JamieC

From Rolling Stone
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...first-album-in-eight-years-this-fall-20140818
    Bob Seger to Release First Album in Eight Years This Fall
    'Ride Out'' will feature covers of John Hiatt and Wilco alongside original tracks
    Bob Seger will return from an eight-year recording hiatus on October 14th with the release of his new LP Ride Out. The album's first single, a cover of John Hiatt's "Detroit Made," was released to radio over the weekend. No track listing has been announced, but a press release indicates it will also contain a cover of Wilco and Billy Bragg's "California Stars" and "All The Roads," an original song Seger debuted on tour in 2013.
    “I feel really good about this record,” Seger said in a statement. “This album touches on how I think a lot of us feel about finding our place in a more complicated world – from how we appreciate things as simple and pure as love, to navigating through the corruption and violence that permeates the news. It sums up a lot of feelings I have about a variety of subjects.”
    Seger largely disappeared from public view after wrapping up a tour in support of his 1995 LP It's A Mystery in order to focus on his family. He reemerged in 2006 with Face The Promise, which he supported with an American arena tour. He returned to the road for another tour that lasted from 2011 to 2013.

16. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

Can anybody comment on the sound quality of these blue label ABKCO 45s? How do they compare to the originals on Hideout and Cameo?

17. JamieC

I still have mine, bought in 75, but they have been well played. I think they are on styrene, and they have worn. I know there were some vinyl pressings on some Cameo copies. Hideouts are no great sonic shakes.

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i was really let down by the ultimate collection. there is about 40 minutes of unused space and man songs left off. nothing from segers albums released in the 90's. several soundtrack songs left off that are hard to get. several singles from 80's albums missing. what a mess. i picked it up though when it came out. wish i got the wal mart version though

19. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Finally aquired a vinly copy of "brand new morning". Next is Mongrel

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  20. JamieC

If I may ask, how much did it set you back?

21. JamieC

I often wonder how many were pressed/sold/cut out. The numbers have to be very low. Mongrel is much easier to find if you do not mind the single pocket 70s reissues. They do sound very good.

22. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I got my original copy of Mongrel, with the gatefold cover, at a yard sale in 1996 for a quarter. I had no idea how lucky I was.

23. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Won it on eBay for $26!!!!! Score!!!!!!!!!!

24. JamieC

Damn! Very lucky and very cool. They usually go for around double or triple that if you can find them around here.

25. JodyGirl

JodyGirl New Member

I saw SRC a few times but what is NSU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.