The Bob Seger Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

The mono single mixes of "Ivory" and "Tales Of Lucy Blue" are so much different to the mixes on "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man".

Check out this Youtube video for "Tales Of Lucy Blue". Very cool.

2. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

Noah

For Your Edification

From Wiki
    Noah is the second studio album by American rock band The Bob Seger System, released in 1969 (see 1969 in music). Seger was displeased with this album as it was the label's intention to showcase Tom Neme as the voice of the band. Seger contemplated quitting music altogether after this album. It has never been reissued on a legitimate U.S. CD by Capitol and probably never will be as Seger disavows it. It does however contain the classic Seger title song, which was issued as a single.

The album features the song "Death Row," which was a holdover from the Ramblin' Gamblin' Man sessions. It was originally issued as the b-side of the single 2 + 2 = ?. The song is significant for being considered one of many songs released in the late 1960s that set the foundation for heavier styles of rock, such as heavy metal. The song is critically acclaimed as being one of the first "Death Metal" songs.

Track listing
    1. "Noah" Bob Seger 3:02
    2. "Innervenus Eyes" Dan Honaker, Pep Perrine, Seger 2:48
    3. "Lonely Man" Tom Neme 3:14
    4. "Loneliness Is a Feeling" Neme 3:03
    5. "Cat" Honaker, Perrine, Seger 6:20
    6. "Jumpin' Humpin' Hip Hypocrite" Neme 3:13
    7. "Follow the Children" Neme 3:28
    8. "Johnson, Lennie" Honaker 3:04
    9. "Paint Them a Picture Jane" Neme 4:08
    10. "Death Row" Seger 2:59

Personnel
    Bob Seger - guitar, rhythm guitar, vocals
    Dan Honaker - bass, guitar, vocals
    Tom Neme - guitar, piano, rhythm guitar, keyboard, vocals
    Pep Perrine - percussion, drums, vocals
    Bob Schultz - organ, piano, keyboard, saxophone, vocals, background vocals

From the Segerfiles:
    The Neme Era
    Noah introduces a ludicrous twist by featuring someone named Tom Neme as a singer/songwriter. To be fair, Neme isn't half bad as a role player, but he's a far, far cry from Seger. One man (Seger) is destined for greatness, and you can hear it in every syllable; Neme is just taking up vinyl. Worse, most of the songs are written by Neme.

Where did Neme come from? Why is he there? The story has never really been explained, as far as I know, though Seger has said that Neme was hired as a musician when Seger decided he couldn't sing and play guitar at the same time.

Seger: "...we got this guitar player named Tom Neme. And then Neme came up with all these songs that he wanted to do. At that point, I was really tired. I wanted to quit. That was when I enrolled in college....

"I didn't have anything to do with that album. 'Noah,' the song, and one or two others, I wrote, a lot of it during that long break between albums." Dave Marsh, May 1972, Creem. "Doncha Ever Listen to the Radio...How to Remain Obscure through Better Rock 'n' Roll: Bob Seger, Best in the Midwest."

The great cover photo of Seger, presumably taken in an alley in Ann Arbor, is a precursor to the Night Moves album cover.

The liner notes try to explain the appearance of Neme the Usurper: "THE BOB SEGER SYSTEM -- FIVE! The first album was trio, this album is more in many respects. It's more sound, it's more guts, it's more soul and it's more conflict..."

Right. And less Seger. The Bob Seger System without Seger, of course, is pointless -- but some copywriter at Capitol was trying hard. The liner notes continue: "Conflict between two very different types of music. Side 1 is Bob Seger -- moody, dynamic, human." [Stop the presses: Seger is human! Where would we be without liner notes to clarify that important point. Hmm, does this mean Neme isn't human?] "Side 2 is influenced by Tom Neme, a new and important addition to The System. It is this influence that is creating change. Seger will always be Bob Seger, any change must come from The System and Tom Neme."

Noah, the album, is currently not available in any format, except in used record stores
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Joanne Zangrilli in the November 1990 Goldmine wrote that Neme bulldozed his way into band leader, taking advantage of Seger's "lack of forceful direction."

Okay -- if Seger was laying back, letting Neme and the rest of the band do their thing, where was Punch during all this? And Capitol? Did they think it was gonna work? Did they imagine they had some kind of Lennon/McCartney thing going with Seger and Neme? (Coincidentally, one of Neme's tunes is preceded by the engineer saying "Sgt. Pepper, take 6," a contrived effect more reminiscent of the Monkees -- "What take is this?" "Seven A" -- than the Beatles.) More to the point, why would anyone sit still for a Seger album where another vocalist takes the mic -- unless they simply had no choice?

Seger quit briefly after the album came out, then returned to the band and fired Neme. Which leads to the final Neme question -- where is he now?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tom Neme Saga, Part 5
    Yes, Part 5. In other words, this is the second part of part two of a two-part trilogy. The other five parts (let's see, that would be Parts 1-4, and Part 6) have yet to be written, and probably never will be. Unless the guy who wrote the following letter writes me back:

Hi Scott,
    Well lemme dust off this one. I met Tom back in 1987. I was 16 years old, looking for a job. Just a kid from the streets of Detroit.

My dad got me a gig working for this band called " The Peoples Choice." Yeah, you guessed it, a wedding band. Until I came across your site I thought I was the only one in the free-speaking world who knew about the Noah album. I have never even seen a copy of this mysterious record.

I met Tom while working for this band setting up their crap. God, I hated that job. Tom was the coolest outta of them all, he always tolerated my barrage of questions about his Gibson Melody Maker. "A beautiful cherry-colored guitar." The rest of the band gave me a headache.

Tom was a middle-aged man who was a fanatic about keeping his body healthy. One night in between sets I was sitting next to Tom while we ate some of the wedding food. I can't remember how we got on the subject, but we started talking about Bob Seger. Oh, that's right -- he asked me what I liked listening to. So I told him, I love to listen to Bob Seger and how Night Moves was the very first album I ever owned.

Tom looked at me and said "I used to play with Seger." I told him he was fulla ****. Tom looked at me very seriously and said, "No really, I even made a record with him." Now that he had my undivided attention, I asked him if he still knew Bob Seger; he said yes but they really don't get along.

Knowing my hopes of meeting Bob were shot to hell, I still asked him questions. Tom told me he made a record with Bob. He said the record was called Noah but it never really sold anywhere. I quizzed Tom more and asked how in the world did he land that gig. He said Punch Andrews brought them together, but never really told me how or why. I just remember Tom stating that Bob at the time was always very moody and had these major mood swings. From what I gathered, from what Tom was telling me, he wasn't there to take over the throne, he was just filling a void because of Bob's episodes. He cut the one record and that was it.

...Yes, Tom does have a nice voice, but he was a real keep-to-himself, quiet kinda fellow. All in all, a very nice guy, though...You can post what I tell you, I don't mind. Here where I live, everybody knows someone in some way, shape or form :)

Best Regards,

JP

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

4. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I like the first 3 songs - Seger sings Neme's "Lonely Man" - and Death Row. Side 2 is kind of pointless without that final song.

Cat is unlike anything else Seger ever recorded - a 6+ minute percussion and voice / effects thing, sort of a late 60's rap number. It's bizarre, but certainly a heck of a lot more interesting than anything with Neme singing.

I've never understood Seger's refusal to let Back in '72 see the light of day again. I can perhaps understand about Brand New Morning but think he's wrong - it's a beautiful album despite the flaws. But keeping Noah dead and buried? That I totally understand, both for musical and emotional reasons, though as a fan I naturally wish it would somehow make it to CD.

- Joe

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

probably my least favorite seger album. back then it was hard to follow a hit like "ramblin gamblin man". the record companies wanted something new right away. many bands had bad second albums because they were rushed to release new product.

6. kelhard

kelhard Forum Resident

I seem to have a soft spot for Noah. Side 1 (apart from "Cat") is quite good. "Innervenus Eyes" and "Lonely Man" both have great grooves. "Innervenus Eyes" rocks hard and could easily found a home on "Ramblin'" or "Mongrel". The Neme songs on side 2, while not Seger's style, are not entirely bad. I could pass on "Jumpin' Humpin'" though. The music is good but lyrically.....bah! So while not quintessential Seger, and a few filler cuts, Noah isn't a total write off for me.
    I remember finding my first copy.....an original 1969 cassette in NM shape, and paid a handsome $4.00 for it. For an early cassette copy, it sounded not bad.

I recently found an "import" of Noah on the "Lost Diamonds" label (yeah, its pretty much a boot) and they went so far as to futz the intro on a few numbers, like "Innervenus Eyes" & "Lennie Johnson". Its a good thing I obtained it via less than legal means. I'd have been pissed if I had paid for it. Plus, the whole thing seems too bright. While its nice to have as part of the collection, I'd rather see another well known vinyl rip artist do his magic on this one. Preferably, I would buy a legal reissue, but that idea seems just that.

RandelPink and Warren Hawk like this.
  7. music4life

music4life Senior Member

"Noah" is pretty bad, so bad that I think that if the early albums were to be rereleased that he should just add his songs from the album and add them as bonus tracks on "Mongrel".

RandelPink likes this.
  8. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I look forward to this thread!

9. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

That would be a good idea indeed - or split them between Mongrel and Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. Death Row for instance would be a more natural fit on RGM. I suspect even though he has a co-write on it, we'll never see Cat in a legitimate digital release!

- Joe

10. JamieC

OK I am listening through the album(throwing myself on the grenade)for the first time in at least a decade. This album does and doesn't deserve its reputation. Track By Track

Noah- I cannot say enogh how much I love this song. THIS was the long lost Seger track to me, as I remember it as a summer 69 memory. KEENER 13 was playing Noah but virtually no one else any where. The sax work couldn't be Tommy Cartmell(Alto Reed) could it? Definately the bridge between the System and the Silver Bullet Band

Innervenus Eyes- Sounds like it belongs with the Ramblin Gamblin Man album.

Lonely Man- Bob's in great voice here, and the song is a decent album track

Lonelyness Is A Feeling- Oh Jebus. Its Neme. He's not horrible, he's just not really that good. Bobs "duet" sounds like it was cut in another studio altogether.

Cat- Gag me. What a waste of tape. I will listen to Revolution 9 a hundred times before I will EVER listen to this mess again. Gag, it goes on over six minutes!

Jumpin Humpin Hip Hypocrite- Neme leads on this this thing. Sub par song with Bob way back in the chorus. Naf

Follow The Children- Actually the best thing by Neme on the album. Could even have been a proper album closer had this been a proper album. A real good chorus and a nice arrangement. This one stands in the Systems good tracks.

Lennie Johnson- Neme again. Nice enough song. WAY out of place on a BOB SEGER album.

Paint Them A Picture Jane- Same story here. Punch should have signed him as a solo act or put a band together with him. He just does not gel with Seger.

Death Row- This record got as much play time as 2+2=?, and thats a LOT. The fake stereo mix sound like MUD. One of Segers greatest tracks, completely lost to the fans short of expensive or shady means.

The album still sound like a mess. WAY too much Neme and only 3 real Seger songs and one of those predates the RGM album.

1/5

11. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Like I said above, if his early albums are rereleased, they should just add the first three songs as bonus tracks on "Mongrel" and "Death Row" to "Ramblin Gamblin Man". Some might argue that the album is part of Seger's history and should be rereleased. But really, how many times would someone really want to listen to the Neme tracks?

12. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

Thanks for taking one for the team, Jamie. My copy of the album credits Bob Schultz as the sax player. I think we have to wait 4 more albums before Tom/Alto's first appearance.

- Joe

13. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

14. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

Not a great record, but some of the tunes are enjoyable. I really like "Paint Them A Picture Jane" and "Lennie Johnson"

15. Hey, Bruce says that title belongs to Mitch Ryder! Kidding. But I'll be reading & watching this thread in hopes of learning something & expanding my very limited Seger collection.

16. JamieC

Like I'm gonna take the word of a Jersey boy on OUR home boy:D

Reminds me of a "discussion" I had some years ago on an AOL chat room. This cat saying that Seger was just a pale Springsteen wanna be, because he had never heard of him before Night Moves. I unloaded on him.
    Not dissing Bruce(big fan), but Bob was at it when the Boss was still in school.

Benno123 likes this.
  17. JamieC

By the way, Coming next week: MONGREL

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great!

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Excellent! I grew up in Michigan and loved his stuff back then.

20. JamieC

The Bob Seger System live at Mt. Holly. Please note Pep Perrine's drum kit. I loved those overhead toms! I remember seeing the System for the first time at an ALSAC Teen show at Cobo Hall. You raised money for St. Judes and you got to go to the concert with your badge. Anyhoo Pep worked those overhead toms like a madman.

Attached Files:

21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Amazing photo, thanks for sharing it. Never saw a drum setup like that one before (those kick drums, jeez). Now, Bob, about those pants...

22. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Is that the same guitar he's holding on the back cover of Mongrel? It looks similar at least.

23. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

Here's a video of Bob and his band doing "Lucifer" off Mongrel. I don't know where the show was taped, but Bob and the host talk a little about that same guitar and Bob admits HE painted it himself - this right after the host mentions that it's about the rattiest looking guitar he's seen. :shh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMQmSvKQpUs

24. JamieC

Mongrel

Mongrel is the third album by American rock band The Bob Seger System, released in 1970 (see 1970 in music). The album is currently unavailable in any format.

Track listing
    All songs written and composed by Bob Seger, except where noted.

No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Song to Rufus" 2:46
    2. "Evil Edna" 3:12
    3. "Highway Child" 2:49
    4. "Big River" 3:10
    5. "Mongrel" 2:22
    6. "Lucifer" 2:27
    7. "Teachin' Blues" 1:59
    8. "Leanin on My Dream" 3:16
    9. "Mongrel Too" 3:16
    10. "River Deep, Mountain High" Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich,
    Phil Spector 7:24

Personnel
    Bob Seger - guitar, vocals
    Dan Honaker - bass, guitar, vocals
    Pep Perrine - percussion, drums, vocals
    Dan Watson - organ, piano, keyboard, vocals
    Mongrel reached 171 on the Billboard album chart.

Seger: "The Mongrel album was very big for about six months there [in Detroit]. It was also huge in Florida. We got something like $15, 000 a night there, which was ridiculous for us in those days, because we'd go into Georgia or some place the next night and make $500 tops. And the club owner probably lost money on us at that price." Robert Hilburn, May 22, 1977, Los Angeles Times. "Bob Seger, Rock's Prodigal Son."
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Rolling Stone reviewed Mongrel on January 7, 1971. Ben Edmonds called the album "...easily [Seger's] best work to date, but there are still some crucial musical problems he must come to grips with if he is to realize the tremendous potential he displayed on his earlier Cameo-Parkway singles (most notably 'Heavy Music' and 'Persecution Smith')." [The reference to "Persecution Smith" seems strange to me, since it's such a Dylanesque sound. "East Side Story" would be more like it.]

Edmonds continues: "[Seger] writes marvelous rock and roll songs in the virile 1965 mold, somewhat of a lost art these days." The problem, he says, is the band, which "like Mountain" is overblown and pretentious and "often degenerates into 'heavy' overstatements of the most cliched sort." Edmonds called "Lucifer" the strongest cut on the album.

Attached Files:

25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

My introduction to Seger, I bought this the year it was released. I had been reading Creem religiously since early 1970 and knew he was a favorite son so I had to have it, even though I had only heard "Heavy Music" at that point. Easily my favorite album of his, his singing is raw and heartfelt on every tune, and the songs are uniformly excellent, a great combo of harder rockers like "Lucifer" and songs like "Evil Edna" which wouldn't have seemed out of place on later albums. Could have done without the "River Deep..." cover, it is way overdone and could have been replaced by the amazing "Lookin' Back" which I believe was cut around the same time. Other than that, great album, sinful that it's not available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.