The Bobby Whitlock - Derek And The Dominos Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by happytobealive, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

I think it's a combination of the two voices harmonizing with each other. I wish I could remember where I read that Eric & Bobby were going for a kind of Righteous Bros. sound with their vocals. Just like Duane's playing with Eric inspired Eric to greater heights.

It wasn't until I got the SACD of Layla did I find out that Duane isn't on every track. I never noticed before, which I guess is a testament to Eric's playing that he can ably sound like two guitars, or something like that.

Where does Bobby play on EXILE? I never knew he was on that record!

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

CC,

Thanks again to you and Bobby for this thread. Some very valuable information here (an SH Forums classic!).

I was wondering about Bobby's appearance on "Later With Jools Holland" from April 25, 2000 (aired 4 days later) with the following lineup-

Bobby Whitlock (keyboards, vocals) / Eric Clapton (guitar) / Dave Swift (bass) / Gilson Leavis (drums) / David Sanborn (sax)

When that happened, I was hoping Eric would say, "Hey. I need to play with this guy on a regular basis!" but I'm guessing he had already committed to Billy Preston.

Anyway...any memories Bobby can share from that appearance? Some wonderful music was performed that day. :)

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This thread has inspired me to give the MFSL UD-II set of "In Concert" a spin. Good heavens, it's extortion when you see what this one goes for from sellers :wtf: The old Polydor set sounds better imo but i digress....

In Concert kicks off a very inspired performance of "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad". Bobby clearly lights a fire under Eric each time they sing the chorus. The last chorus when Eric & Bobby go back and forth..."Why Does Love Got To bB So Sad", "Tell me why why why why why", etc. There's a real passion in this performance. And the sublime organ work in the final moments as Eric plays a very understated solo is superb.
    The entire In Concert album allows Eric to do what he does best...play the guitar. And imo this is Eric at his very peak. And The Dominos was a once in a lifetime happening that lasted barely a year and all of the guys managed to make some of the best music of their careers.

Back to listening some more :)

All Down The Line and Lofric like this.
  4. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

thanks Coco for being so open and honest. we're lucky to hear this stuff from you.

awesome thread! you and Bobby ROCK

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

HA HA!!! :laugh:

that is the single best post i have ever read

6. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Okay, not really a question for Bobby but I do wonder why she hasn't sued. Surely following other recent cases she's likely to be very well compensated. Layla must earn Clapton and Gordon quite a bit each year. If i'd been ripped off i'd be doing my best to get what was rightfully mine. :agree:

7. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yes, we'd love to know if any of his performances were used on the released record. :agree:

Any other sessions credited or not that Bobby can enlighten us on?? And if possible, can Bobby tell which tracks on All Things Must Pass he definitely played on?

8. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

More questions and memory jolters? I don't need to be asked twice. (Lacking a spread sheet, I'll launch a few in ROUGHLY chronological order into the stew. Several Friends and friends keep re-appearing on albums..)

1)We've heard a bit about your childhood, where do the keyboards come into your life and the story?

2)I think I've heard you played sessions. Stax? Stories?

3)Delaney and Leon go way back old school (Bobby Keys has a history, too). How did you come to Delaney's attention and sign on?

4)The D&B lps have yourself and Carl and Jim. Is this where you met them? You guys have a lot of mileage together.

5)A few months back, a thread showed a proposed UK Apple B&D disc. (I'm inept, but here's the thread, see #8 http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=96599&highlight=rarest) It would appear that the Friends had already come to George's attention.

6)Eric, George (and Dave Mason?) touring with B&D.

7)I loved listening to the contrast of the full-on live lp, and the quiet, sitting on the beds hominess of Motel Shot (on stage & after hours). Lovely singing by you all on MS.

8)You've already responded to nicely to queries on Eric's 1st. This was a real Friends' affair. I bought it the week of release and swear the earliest copies had the "Coming Home " single on it, because I wore it out and freaked when the song was missing on later copies. (Was I dreaming?) The A&M group shot was a stroke of genius..I studied that and always had a face for each name ever after. I can really hear your organ and vocals tearing it up in there. Arrangements are so much a group effort. Do you have any memories or particular contributions to share? It was a very joyous noise and some very memorable tunes. Some friends of mine were acquaintances of Delaney, and said he was a bit cut that he didn't get a bit more rightfully due public glory for that project.

9)A bit off-topic; It's struck me as more than co-incidence that the "verse" chord progression for George/Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy" and "Let It Rain" are VERY similar. Most of us will never know what George and Eric may have done in private jams in a living room over months, but I GUESS that they could have developed this together and gave it two different treatments (otherwise, Eric "borrowed" it). Would you have a clue about this?

10) CoCo's started the All Things Must Pass story....(already requested; Spector, the "rock" orchestra, very notable personnel and friends..?).

11)We had a very recent thread on the D&D single, which you've no doubt seen. The D&D name was coined in UK? On the legendary Million Dollar Quartet tapes (Elvis/Perkins/Lewis/Cash) from 1956, Elvis mentions being sung under the table by a Las Vegas lounge singer/act called Derek Ward (Warder/Warden?) And The Dominos. Was "D&D" a cheeky tribute, or a co-incidence??

12)The Layla box and book gave a delicious description of the proceedings and substances. I'll have to find one of the books!

13)Some names keep weaving in and out of your bands and sessions;

Leon Russell in B&D & 1st Clapton & ATMP. Was he your mentor in the early days? You guys have four hands on the keys on an awful lot of tracks..

Duane (St. Duane!) was indeed a fiery foil for Clapton, yet such a lovely soft touch on Motel Shot. Must've been a helluva guy. (My Georgia pal used to see the early homeboys ABB, and feared substances would take him.)

Jesse Ed Davis has already appeared on this thread with Taj at the house, and is also on ATMP sessions (and Bangladesh concert). I last saw him in 73 guesting w/ABB at LA Forum Indian Benefit. When he passed away, another Huntington Beach pal assisted tidying his apartment. They marveled at all the tiny phone cassette messages from people like Lennon and Harrison. He must've been loved.

14)Whitlock solo album memories? Have you ever dropped out of music for a breather? Other interests?

15)Last but not CERTAINLY not least, (gawd, at least for tonight).this Coco woman. Tell us about her and your career together. Obviously, we're gonna have to get off out butts and have a listen, having re-made your acquaintance!

Good-night from Down Unda!

alchemy likes this.
  9. BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy Member

This has always been a favorite of mine. I used to just get mesmerized by "Let It Rain" off of that. There was a bar band in Athens (GA) in the mid-70s that would copy it pretty faithfully.

Great stories. I also thought Bonnie has been a vastly underrated singer. The first time I heard "From Delaney to Bonnie" when it came out I was hooked!

Haven't listened to Layla or Live in a while, but fortunately they're on my Zune. Guess I'll listen to them on my way home from work today!

10. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

It's a pity that "Got to Get Better in a Little While" never got completed (along with the rest of the follow-up album). I was never too crazy about the studio version, but that version from In Concert is so intense, it sounds like Eric is exorcising his soul through his guitar, with Bobby pounding along keeping Eric on track. Simply put, I think it's the best song he's ever written, and one of the more spiritual songs I've ever heard. Still as relevant today as it was back then:

Don't you know what's wrong with me?
    I'm seeing things I don't want to see.
    Sniffing things that ain't no good for me.
    I'm going down fast, won't you say a prayer for me?

It's got to get better in a little while.

The sun's got to shine on my guitar someday.

Revolution all across the land.
    Just like Sly, you got to take a stand.
    Please don't hurt nobody, don't knock them down;
    Give them a helping hand to get off the ground.

The sun's got to shine on my guitar someday.

Still one thing that you can do;
    Fall down on your knees and pray.
    I know the Lord's gonna answer you.
    Don't do it tomorrow, do it today.

caravan70 likes this.
  11. BluesDaddy

BluesDaddy Member

Which is something, apparently, that Eric needs to really bring out the best in him. So much of his later output seems to be almost rote, at times. Certainly pretty pedestrian. But when someone fires him up, he really shines.

12. happytobealive

happytobealive New Member Thread Starter

fear

13. happytobealive

"We talked about having having this kid in the band...Once .
    It was not going happen ... I don't care what his dad says . It became a big stir for about two hours ...but he was not coming , no one EVER talked about flying this kid to England . Eric never called . Eric never called anybody ..period . He doesn't make calls . His life goes on around him , he has people that do calling for him .
    Jim was against it ...Carl was against it...it was an idea , somebody voiced it ..it was a thought for a moment but nobody was into having a teenager in the band . "
    BW

mikmcmee likes this.
  14. happytobealive

Thanks ..so do you .

15. happytobealive

"Yeah ...what a great song and really depicts what is going on with Eric at that moment .
    Crying out .
    It was also a state of what was happening at the time ...during the Vietnam era. Eric has always been a champion of those who were and are the under-dog. Give em' a helping hand ...get up off the ground ."
    BW

16. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I've always really enjoyed the song "Anyday". The Derek Trucks Band does an amazing job on it.

17. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Bobby and CC it has been a real pleasure reading your posts here! If you ever put together, I will be in line to buy a copy!
    One question for you...I read once that Dave Mason was originally a member of D & D, but I don't think I have ever seen that confirmed. True?

18. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

My goodness, this is THE greatest thread ever on SH.TV in my opinion. Talk about "straight from the horse's mouth." I can barely stand the anticipation; I must have more and more and more. Absolutely BRILLIANT.

Thank you SO much, CC!

19. happytobealive

To Jaksondownunda
    1)We've heard a bit about your childhood, where do the keyboards come into your life and the story?

There is a lot to answer here ...this is a real healing say Bobby. To open the door and "release the Imprisoned Splendor"

"Two vivid dreams of mine from when I was 9 years old ..1. being being chased by an upright piano, it was a re-occuring dream . 2. Being hauled off the battlefield (WWI) on a stretcher.
    And when I ..., I knew how to play harp , Mama played piano in church ...I wasn't interested , it seemed like too many keys ..too many notes to bother with . But I did learn how to play "Moon River" with three fingers . Thats the only thing I knew how to play on the piano . But when I was 15 or 16 years old ...I was a standup Blues singer and I played chromatic harp .
    I was in a music store one summer afternoon , hanging around...and a guy walked up to me , his band was the top band in Memphis (he was the bass player) . He knew that I blew harp and sang , and asked me if I could play organ and I said "Why Sure!" ...and he said that they're organ player had quit and that they had a bunch of dates lined up and they needed a keyboard player.
    I said "I'm your man" ...he said that rehearsal was at his house down the street about a mile ..it was on Thursday ( It must be right ...I remember it) .
    Why I showed up ...bear in mind I could play "Moon river with three fingers . But I figured that if I could play that harp I could play anything.
    Well I showed up at his house early for rehearsal ...there were about 50 songs to learn . This was during the Jackie Wilson era and we had Eddie Harrison and he had JW all over.
    But we did Temptaions , Platters , Wilson Pickett ...but Eddie was really the front man in that band ...he was awesome.
    Well . I showed up early and it was confession time for me , I wanted the gig real bad ...but they were gonna find out sooner or later that I couldn't play ..and well I told Stan Cecil ( the bass player) when I arrived for rehearsal . It's not that I couldn't play organ ..it's just that I don't know how, and I asked him to show me how to make a chord .
    He said ...put your thumb here ( pointing to middle "C") , and said thats middle C ( it was an old farfisa ..so it had draw bars. So he showed me middle C then he said put that finger on the E ( pointing finger ) and the third finger on G...that made the "C" chord.
    So , I moved my pointing finger down to the left ...and that made it a "C minor" . Put my ring finger to the right at 2 o'clock that turned it into a "Cminor 7" ..I HAD IT !! I understood it ...I understood the concept . You just move your fingers a half step in any direction and you have everychord there is ...every one there is between "C and shining C"
    And so it just came real real clear to me immediatly , and I just started playing right then and there , and I still play the same way .
    Booker let me look over his shoulder and I really got the concerpt of how the drawbars worked . The first organ I ever played was the Stax organ .
    But all that came very natural to me ..I don't even think about playing the B-3. Its kinda like an artist with his paintbrush (abstract) nothing is ever ever the same . " I play the same way ..just more experienced and an older version of it " .
    BW

20. happytobealive

Dave Mason was a "Domino" for a day . We did a show for Dr. Spock and there is a photo (Sure someone has it out there) , me Dave and Eric are standing and singing "Easy Now" .

21. happytobealive

We watched it not long ago on U-Tube ...great , really enjoyed it .

22. happytobealive

Thank you so much , this is a real treat for us as well .
    CC

23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Bobby, my post should have read if you ever write a book, I'll be in line to buy it! The stories are amazing...and as a fan for years...am loving every post!

24. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Man, I was unaware of the Journey (Schon) connection until just now. If this thread gets any better I may need a cigarette :)

25. happytobealive

Cool ...thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.