The Bourne Legacy--Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AVTechMan, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVTechMan

AVTechMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

This film comes out this Friday....thinking of possibly going to see it. I have the original trilogy with Damon in it but since this new one doesn't, I wonder how its going to really turn out. I saw some of the trailer last week and seems interesting enough. But I wonder if it will hold up some of the elements that the original trilogy did.

Anyone else planning to see this one?

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'll wait for Bourne Again :)

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

When I saw the part where he is on one side of a wall with his eyes closed and he can tell by esp when to shoot thru the wall gives me second thoughts on how this one is going to be as compared to the others. :help:

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm seeing these on Friday and I think Jeremy Renner will do an excellent job.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just wanna know if this is another "shakycam" flick ala the second and third Bourne flicks. I know Greengrass isn't back for this one, so that inspires some hope it'll not be "shakycam", but I'm gonna wait until I know it's shaky-free before I go...

6. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I'm a big fan of the original three - i'll give it a fair shot

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, and the part where his hand morphs into a machine gun, sprays the bad guys with bullets, then morphs back into a human-looking hand makes me think: This is not your father's Borne.

8. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Amen, brother!

I'll be seing this to review it next weekend, and am hoping that this will be the first BOURNE in a while where you can tell what's going on during the exciting parts, aside from the notion that "They Are Fighting" or "Cars Are Chasing".

9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:confused:

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I'm a bit fatigued by action flicks which are an impossible series of nearly physically impossible events punctuated by "what the hell is going on?", "where the hell is he?", "why the hell can't you stop him?", "who the hell is in charge?", etc.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love the previous one so I'm sure we'll enjoy the latest entry!

12. He was using his acute sense of hearing...;)

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'll wait for the Blu-ray.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would agree in that there's a point beyond which you can no longer stretch credulity. I have to chuckle when I see the behind-the-scenes documentaries that show Renner on wires, flipping over buildings, dropping enormous heights onto the street, falling through windows, and so on. Technically, he's doing his own stunts, but he has a lot of help. Still, how much would they have to pay you to fall 30 feet on a wire?

I concede, there's a line between this kind of "secret agent" fantasy and the "kung fu" fantasies of the Hong Kong action films. That stuff is completely on acid to me, utterly unbelievable -- but some of it is still entertaining from a comedic point of view.

The movie has gotten reasonably-good reviews so far. Roger Ebert's review said the film had "skillful exercises in high-tech effects and stunt work, stringing together one preposterous chase after another, in a collection of world cities with Jason apparently piling up frequent-flier miles between them."

Film director/writer Tony Gilroy goes into quite a bit of detail about why he made the choices he did for Legacy at this link:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/mike-flemings-qa-with-bourne-legacy-helmer-tony-gilroy/

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I look forward to it - but will miss the actor who made it his own.

16. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this today.

For the most part, it was enjoyable. Renner and Rachel Weisz were the best parts of this movie. They stood out and did a great job.

For me, the first 3/4 of the movie was the best. That last 1/4 of the movie was one big long (too long, IMO) chase scene. But, if you like good chase scenes, you should like it.

Lots of jumping back and forth between scenes and even timeframes. So, if you don't like that type of editing in a movie, you may not like this one.

Ebert gave it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.

http://www.rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120808/REVIEWS/120809988/1023

Entertainment weekly gave it an A-.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20589882,00.html

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

You will see how he pulls this off, but essentially you nailed it.

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Not necessarily shaky cam ala Hurt Locker, but there is a lot of jumping back and forth between scenes and timeframes (Lots of editing obviously had to be done to this movie.)

19. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I can't remember the last time I was that bored. I am sure sitting in the waiting room at the doctors office would have been more entertaining.

20. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I just saw it. Not Matt Damon quality but it wasn't horrible. I liked it and I'm always happy to see Ed Norton in anything.

21. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I'm looking forward to seeing this soon.

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first three. Weisz and Renner are better together than Damon and Franka Potente or Damon and Julia Stiles.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Then again, my favorite active critic, Todd McCarthy, gave the film thumbs down in The Hollywood Reporter, saying:

The Bourne legacy is furthered but not burnished by this fourth installment of the highly successful series that has heretofore been fronted by Matt Damon. With Jeremy Renner stepping in to play another covert operative and franchise screenwriter Tony Gilroy taking over the directorial reins from Paul Greengrass, the same tone and look are maintained, but the visceral excitement is muffled by familiarity, an insufficiently conceived lead character and the sheer weight of backstory and multiple layers of deception.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a critics opinion will not decide for me whether or not I'm going to watch and enjoy a movie...

...looking forward to the home video release to sit along side my other 3...

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks for the info. I'm okay with the rapid editing - I just don't want the constant handheld camerawork ala the last two Bourne flicks.

I refuse to ever see another Paul Greengrass movie theatrically - he always uses that style and it always makes me nauseous! :hurl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.