The Breeders new album “All Nerve”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chahooa, Mar 4, 2018.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

always count on this forum to start my morning off with a healthy dose of mysoginy!

levi, athensdrums, Aftermath and 6 others like this.
  2. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Hahaha. I love music. But for me woman must be woman not ......

And , both sisters when put make up, and do hair etc be beautiful. I don’t mean anyone hurt

My English is not good, and maybe we don’t understand wery well

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  3. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

No, your English is fine. It’s your views that are barbaric.

4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

This one is a slow burn/grower. I knew it after the first listen. By the fifth listen, every song has my jaw on the ground.

5. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

We need to avoid getting political in this forum and I just deleted a comment that was both personal and political. I just wanted to say to @Totti is god that you have to be careful how you dictate how others should appear because that kind of thing is going to cause a backlash by those of us who have become accustomed to seeing people express themselves as they want. Your views are traditional, but I wouldn't call them barbaric. That's not fair, IMO. Kim Deal is beautiful to me and many others the way she is.

Best regards,
    Barry

JRJ and Man at C&A like this.
  6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Their appearance has nothing to do with the music. To say that a woman needs to wear makeup to be attractive IS barbaric. It’s freaking 2018, not 1955. I’m sure that the Deal’s would agree.
    The music is what’s important.

7. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Nothing barbaric about liking women to wear a little make up. But I love Kim Deal for not playing that game and rocking our socks without it. That's very attractive to me. Look at what happened to Liz Phair.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I know it's off topic, but Liz Phair is back, btw:
    Liz Phair: Girly-Sound to Guyville @ The Empty Bottle

To Each Their Own!

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Barbaric! FFS!

10. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let’s quit being douche bags and talk music, please. Thanks friends.

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's a great album! i actually listen to it on repeat and i don't do that very often anymore. kim still has the voice i love.

chahooa likes this.
  12. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Thank you

13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

There’s a beach ball in the stadium!

Can’t stop singing that line for some reason.

Kill Uncle Meat likes this.
  14. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

I find it fascinating that this is the first Breeders album to be done all-digital. All other albums have been recorded “all-wave” (Kim’s term for all-analog).
    I wish there were more info about how the process differed this time. Obviously they used a digital studio, but did they also build songs up track by track, or did they still try to perform basic tracks live?
    Wanting more info is all just for curiosity’s sake. The vinyl sounds fantastic and was obviously pressed from hi-res digital, so it’s not a question of sound quality for me.
    Even all-digital, this record has that mysterious glue that holds together all Breeders records. Can’t put my finger on what that glue is, except it’s somehow made up of the Deals’ enigmatic sense of melody, the precise looseness of the performances, and of course, Kim’s sultry voice. In other records I thought this “glue” came from the fact that they were recorded to tape, but as evidenced here, apparently not.

I333I, GentleSenator and chahooa like this.
  15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i think the songs are great and the album is great as well. but the SQ on vinyl is lacking imho …. except for maybe that last song on side B ('blues at the acropolis') which sounds pretty sweet …. jumps out of the speakers for me with a wider soundstage …. the rest is rather closed in, and congested to me. i WISH she had actually gone 'all wave', like 'title tk' ….. but what can ya do ?

'all nerve' on LP is certainly playable and even crankable. just not AMAZing SQ-wise …. imho. It's still my favourite new release regardless tho.

btw i believe there is a recent interview with the breeders in the financial times, but it's behind a paywall ….. ymmv.

The Breeders: still a breed apart after 3o years.
    Subscribe to read

16. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

My beef with the vinyl is that it’s not as dynamic as I feel it should be. But that could very well be the production. I don’t think I’ve had a chance to really crank it yet, though.
    *this is totally nitpicking. I love the album and have to stop myself from listening to it exclusively.

17. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

The Aerosmith cover they did that Wiggs sang is just about my favorite thing the Breeders ever did. Glad she got some mic time on the new record too.

chahooa likes this.
  18. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

Didn't Steve Albini have something to do with this album? It seems weird that he would go digital at this point.

With that said, I listened to this on Spotify the other day and was blown away by how good it was.

I actually first heard a song a few weeks ago on the radio and thought "wow, those drums sound awesome!" Was very pleasantly surprised to see that the Breeders were back

19. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

he tracked/recorded 'all nerve' (A3) and 'archangel's thunderbird' (B8) ….. that's it.

but the only song he mixed was the amon duul II cover 'archangel's thunderbird' …..

chahooa likes this.
  20. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Me too! Spacewoman is my favorite song of the album. I'm actually loving the whole thing so much while waiting for those 180 grams of orange vinyl to arrive.

21. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Got my copy yesterday. Listened to it today. Fab. Looking forward to seeing them play in Bristol in July. Haven't seen them live since the 4AD celebration around 2003-ish when Josephine showed up. Great band and my favourite not from the 50s and 60s.
    The Kelley Deal 6000 were good too. Put the highlights of their two LP's together and you have one storming album.
    Kelley's lead vocals are excellent when she gets the chance....check out My Boyfriend Died...she should do more writing and singing but then so should Kim...wish they'd release records on a more frequent basis...always good to hear what they're up to.

22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Anyone here have the vinyl? I love the CD, but boy is it compressed - a DR6.

I'd buy the vinyl in a second if it is more dynamic. No one has yet posted vinyl DR numbers as yet.

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Vinyl DR numbers are useless. The vinyl sounds fine.

24. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Great album. Stunning title track and make up or no make up, Kim is the coolest person in the world.

25. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Well, they aren't useless. With the recent Sgt Pepper release we knew via interviews that the vinyl mastering path avoided a limiting step all the digital versions went through. The vinyl is more dynamic and the DR database shows the slight improvement.

If the Breeder vinyl has same compression as the CD, it's not worth the $25 bucks to me.