The Breeders new album “All Nerve”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chahooa, Mar 4, 2018.

1. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

One of my favorites from the album too. An interesting fact is for 3 years before here we lived an hour south of Dayton directly in the middle of the cornfields off of East 35. :agree:

andycherry and polchik like this.
  2. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Have y’all seen pre-orders for Pod, Last Splash and Title TK?

Doesn’t appear to be another Plain are-issue. Was this mentioned somewhere else? I did a search but no luck...

In October, The Breeders announced their return to 4AD, along with a new album, All Nerve, released this Spring. We are also happy be reissuing their previous four albums on vinyl. Pod is the bands 1990 debut and is continually ranked as one of the best albums of the 90s. Recorded by Steve Albini in 10 days, it was released to critical acclaim and Kurt Cobain called it one of his favorite albums of all time. In 1993, they released their breakout album Last Splash, which brought the band into the forefront with the runaway hit “Cannonball”. The song made it to #2 on the charts, and was followed by a tour supporting Nirvana, a spot on the Lollapalooza tour and in 1994, a platinum certification. Nine years later, after an indefinite hiatus, The Breeders returned with Title TK. The Guardian UK called it "a welcome return to punky pop that knows how to flex some melodic muscle.” In 2008, The Breeders released their eclectic fourth album in 18 years, Mountain Battles. Spin gave the album 4 stars, and the NME called it "a joyfully lived-in and boundary-free album.”

polchik and neruda like this.
  3. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

Haven’t seen it announced, except Kim said in the Reddit AMA that Title TK and Mountain Battles were re-pressed by 4AD and will be available at their shows. Pod and Last Splash were not mentioned.

Gonna see them next week, so I’ll report back. I expect my wallet to come back a lot lighter.

Someone posted that link to the Reddit AMA earlier in the thread.

The Revealer likes this.
  4. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Title TK is my favourite Breeders album. I think the first two are a touch over-rated in comparison.

captone likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

That would be cool. I need Title TK and Mountain Battles on vinyl.

6. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Bullmoose has them listed coming out 5/18. 4AD as far as I can tell. I've not seen them listed elsewhere yet.

Bull Moose. Search

The Revealer likes this.
  7. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

last week i emailed shopusa@4ad and the matador store responded to me, CCing the shopusa@4ad store ….. replying to my email about that reddit quote ….. saying they'd be available in stores and online later in the year …. my email mentioned 'title tk' and 'mountain battles' specifically. as well i stated that i NEEDED POD too lol.

whoa ….. i just saw the amazon.com preorder for a4AD POD on vinyl !!!!!!!!!

and noticed someone has added a listing for a 4AD vinyl 'title tk' 2018

this is a dream come true. i am so excited!!!

andycherry, neruda and The Revealer like this.
  8. andycherry

andycherry Forum Resident

im so pumped for this. i’ve got all the 1st pressings of these but they’re worth so much (and autographed) that i don’t dare play them. i hope they are pressed with the same care as the originals and that the artwork is reproduced faithfully.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh man thank god there will be reissues.

10. captone

captone Forum Resident

agree 100%. I also like Mountain Battles a lot (not quite as much as Title TK though). Really looking forward to getting this new album.

11. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

the Japan cd has 2 bonustracks :( , both covers:

"Gates Of Steel" (c) Devo
    "Joanne" (c) Mike NeSmith

12. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I finally got my orange vinyl and I must say it sounds great. I'm loving it and getting ready for those reissues, I need them all! I've always wondered how Pod sounded on it's original LP incarnation. The CD sounds very good to me, that drum sound... :love:

neruda likes this.
  13. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I, for one, doubt I'll be able to put the funds toward getting all of these. It's been a busy year already with ticket and album purchases. Yet, I was also thinking that the only CD that doesn't really satisfy is my original LS. That I'll definitely get. I'm not saying that the others aren't tempting. Only that I never once thought I needed vinyl for them. Since I felt I'd really missed out on the 2013 reissue of LS - one of my desert island picks - because it was before I got back to my music after years of focusing on raising kids, I'm just so grateful to know that this is likely to be a very quality pressing.

Kill Uncle Meat likes this.
  14. Ha Ha Man

Ha Ha Man I am a scientist

Just brought home the orange vinyl and I agree this is a fantastic album, and the Pallas-pressed vinyl is flawless. Super happy with the sonics of the record, too. I was saying in another thread how extraordinary it is that in the past month we’ve gotten great records from The Breeders, Guided by Voices, Superchunk and Yo La Tengo. Malkmus has one on the way, too, and these bands are all touring! It’s like the return of the 90s and I think it’s a blast.[​IMG]

15. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The original UK 4AD vinyl - pressed at MPO - sounds fantastic. No idea which version Cobain heard that inspired him to work with Albini but that's a great piece of vinyl.

Still undecided if I should check out "All Nerve" since I haven't heard a Breeders record since "Last Splash":hide:

Kill Uncle Meat and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

oh do get caught up. i think you'll find it a worthwhile experience ! i'm a huge fan of POD, as well as the ones you haven't heard, TITLE TK and MOUNTAIN BATTLES. and ALL NERVE is a fantastic collection of new songs. check out 'the amps' as well …. which was a kim solo project after last splash i believe.

have fun!

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's funny but I got out after two really great records - "Last Splash" & "Teenager Of The Year" - and never looked back. Those two combined would have made a killer Pixies album:edthumbs:

Freek999 and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Frank Black and the catholics s/t is worth checking out.

DTK likes this.
  20. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

not sure if you saw, but i posted some tracks from the albums i mentioned, earlier in this thread ….

post #74 !

21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

short clip … albini on his relationship with kim and the breeders

22. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

fellas, I saw the Breeders last night in LA – first concert of their tour. show was fantastic, and it turns out they indeed do have the Pod, Last Splash, and Title TK re-pressings.

apparently they did re-press Mountain Battles, but something was wrong with the batch, so they're not selling them currently.

the guy at the merch booth told me these pressings were done in Germany, from the original master tapes. I asked if this means they're cut from all-analog, but it seems he didn't know the distinction. at the very least I'd say they're from hi-res files, but possibly AAA.

I bought Pod, Last Splash, and Title TK. I only was able to listen to the first song on Last Splash this morning. my record came a bit dished, but it doesn't affect play. it indeed sounds wayyyyyy better than the Plain pressing of Last Splash, which I have and am now getting rid of.

finally, I did ask if these would be available in stores later. the merch man didn't seem to know, but since some people are posting links to the pre-order, I'd say they'll definitely be out there.

for now, if you see the Breeders on this tour, this is a good opportunity to get some of these pressings early.

23. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Are they touring UK?

24. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I'm guessing (and hoping) $20 a piece?

25. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

They were $25 each. $20 would've been nice, but since I love the band so much – and bands tend to make more on merch when it's sold at their shows – I thought why not.

The Revealer and Spaceboy like this.