The Bridge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody watch this yet. It is a new series on FX. Lead female character is Diane Kruger who played the German actress who lost her high heal in Inglorious Bastards. Quite an interesting character on this show. Takes place on border between Texas and Mexico.

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I watched the first two episodes. Way too dark for me to be entertaining. It was well written and acted but the subject matter made me sick. Which is probably the point but...

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I have watched the first two episodes and I like it. The Mexican detective is obviously a lot more likeable at this point than Diane Krugar's, who suffers from Asperger's syndrome...

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I watched the original and thought it was excellent. If this is half as good, it's worth watching.

5. hbbfam

Did they say that anywhere or your conclusion? I identified her as possibly mildly autistic but aspergers's makes more sense. Low affect, difficulty seeing other points of view, no sense of humor.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I read it in the pre-release PR for the show.

7. Love it so far

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I find they are trying way too hard to make the Kruger character different/quirky.

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I thought so too. And having her superior played by Ted Levine just invites comparisons to Monk.

noname74 likes this.
  10. hbbfam

I find her character a lot of fun. That little bit where she asked Levine if his wife ever called him "just to hear his voice" to which he answered yes. Her puzzled look was very well done.

11. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

ah... excuse me!
    Oh will you excuse me?
    I'm just trying to find the bridge...
    Has anybody seen the bridge?
    please...

(Have you seen the bridge?)
    I ain't seen the bridge!

(Where's that confounded bridge?)

12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

While I understand why, from a character exposition standpoint, they included the bar scene last week, I must say that I would be EXTREMELY wary of any woman (particularly an attractive one) approached me in such a forward manner. I would fear that she was setting me up to get rolled, if not worse, particularly in a boarder town.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah...from the standpoint of the drama that bar scene was kind of interesting. But in real life, most normal guys would run away.

14. hbbfam

When my wife make's these observations, I usually remind her that the actor had already read the script:)

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

She reminds me a bit of Clare Danes on Homeland, though I know it's a different mental issue. Thus far, her character is pretty cold and difficult to penetrate--though not for the guy in the bar! Ba-zing! Liking the show so far, FX has been doing some good stuff lately.

16. larryk

larryk Senior Member

Big dislike for the Kruger character. Turned it off after 20 minutes. Was looking forward to Ted Levine, so that was a disappointment..

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

18. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I gave this one a fair shot. FX has been on a good roll. I just can't get into it. It's moving a little slow, they are forcing in some contrived personal drama, and I'm getting a sense of immigration/boarder politics in the subtext. I'm not going to invest my time to finish this one. I always regret not getting out when the warning signs are there.

19. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Liking, but not exactly loving this show. I think that setting the story around a US/Mexico border town was a smart one, and has tons of potential. But I'm not exactly hooked like I was with "Justified" from the getgo. Will see if it remains DVR-worthy.

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Lately there are too many tv shows there raw and way too gritty for my liking.

21. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Very engrossing show. Makes me want to listen to Calexico!

I agree that there is a political subtext - but "small P" (personal rather than global) politics. I think the story line about the Mexican detective's family is interesting -- his kid plays video games and smokes pot (just like los gringos!).

I like this much better than Dexter (behind several episodes and losing interest)--

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Ahh, so there is a thread on this. I hadn't noticed it and was thinking of starting one. Glad to see some others are watching this. I really like it so far. It's just as good (though in a different way, not funny) as Justified and I like it better than The Americans.

She's not quirky just to be quirky, she has Aspbergers.

Hmm. She's doing a better job (imo) than Claire Danes does. Claire goes to the "crazy eyes" way too often in that role.

What is up with so many people here mis-spelling border. It's BORDER, not BOARDER. ???

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Wife and have been watching and enjoying so far. The whole sex thing was a bit lame though IMO. She was standing around and kinda realized/remembered that she had something down here, and then just pulled into the first bar and went up to the first guy she saw. Riiiiiight.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's an excuse to make her quirky...just like the sex thing. They are trying too hard.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Whatever you say head writer. The character has the same condition that the character in the original this is based on had. The character in the Danish series has the same kind of casual encounters than Sonia has in this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.