The Bridge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What difference does it make whether it's the same as the Danish series...her condition is an excuse to make her quirky regardless of which show you want to talk about.

Anyway it's averaging a .5 to .7 so I wouldnt get too comfortable with it since it will need to do better than that to get a second season.

2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I've seen one episode of the US-version after I've seen the Danish/Swedish version twice. I think the original version is up there with the first series of The Killing as best-written and played crime series in the last few years. After that one episode I decided I'd seen enough and I really hope the US-version comes close to the quality of the original series; (small spoiler alert--> there will be a lot going on in the relationships between the key players and the female lead (I think) was one of the most powerful performances I've seen on the small screen
    <---

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't agree at all. Maybe it's your choice of the term "quirky", as to me, that sounds like a silly Zoey Deschanel character, or one of the many oddball characters from Twin Peaks. I don't think of Aspberger's as "quirky". And I think it does matter that they are being faithful to the source.

4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I have watched the Danish original series last week and it is truly great. Yesterday I tried the first Episode from the US version and I turned it off after 20 min. The US characters/actors are cardboard and all seems so artificial, while in the original all seemed more matter-of-fact and at the same time mysterious ........ do yourselves a favour and watch the original first !!!

5. She clearly has some high functioning level of Asperger's so as you point out it is t to make ore than quirky and to contrast her to Marco and others who can relate (and even the killer) to others as well as demonstrate that, even with their normal people skills they are as much if not more than a mess compared to her. I figured out who done it based on the structure of the script but did t know why and the reveal was still pretty powerful. A well done show. The challenge will be doing season two and making it as compelling.
    v

6. agentalbert

Yeah, I really liked the last episode. Still 4 episodes left, and I'm waiting for there to be some explanation of what happened when Fausto Galvan and his guy came upon Linder burying the dead pimp. They obviously let him live, and Galvan wasn't too happy about the guy going north of the border and stirring up trouble there as its bad for his business, but I would have liked to have seen how that conversation went.

Charlotte's idiot boyfriend is a little too stupid to be believable.

7. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

I'm enjoying it!

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Latest ep is wild !

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Original series (Bron/Broen) is truly wonderful (in fact one of the best crime-series in the last few years), the first season was great and now Im currently following the fresh ongoing 2nd season.
    I watched maybe 1 or 2 episodes of the US-remake but it proved once again that most of the remakes dont really work at all. So I skipped the crippled US-edition...
    The 2 main actors in the original series are so good that anything after that seems more like artificial and fake.

Same goes for the "Millennium Trilogy" by Stieg Larsson, the original-series (3 movies The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire,The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest)
    had the wonderful characters portrayed by Noomi Rapace and Michael Nyqvist and while I liked some aspects of the US-edition by David Fincher, it surely is better in original form and the remake pales in comparison.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    blind_melon1 and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. agentalbert

I'm really enjoying this show and look forward to next season. I like how it mostly climaxes with 2 episodes left and they take a little time to set up things for next season.

13. You and I will have to disagree. I think the U.S. remake of the series is at least as good as the original. As to "Girl" Fincher's beats it hands down. Much more suspenseful a bit less faithful though.

Lonson and agentalbert like this.
  14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I've mainly enjoyed The Bridge so far. The Sonja character started out portrayed mostly as an "Aspie as socially maladroit jerk" standard offensive TV stereotype but has become more realistically nuanced in the later episodes, and Demian Bichir and Ted Levine are great as always -- but yeah, the Monk associations are a little weird, so I just try to think "it puts the lotion on its skin" instead :). One really smart element of the remake is setting it in El Paso -- Ciudad Juarez since that adds all sorts of complexities and context you wouldn't get in, say, Detroit -- Windsor.

wayneklein likes this.
  15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

In a weird coincidence, right when The Bridge was starting this summer, I also happened to watch the New Zealand-made Sundance miniseries Top of the Lake (featuring Elisabeth Moss from Mad Men, directed by Jane Campion) on Netflix and kept wondering why one of the other leads looked vaguely familiar. Then I realized, it's Stephen Linder! (Thomas M. Wright) only so transformed as to be almost unrecognizable.

[​IMG]

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The series has been renewed for a 13-episode second season, to debut in summer 2014.[2]

agentalbert and Scope J like this.
  17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I think you're being harsh. I loved both the original and the Fincher; I liked Fire and Hornets' Nest a lot less, especially the third one, which resembled a kind of bad post-war thriller with its 'indestructible' German heavy... Have you see the British/French version of The Bridge? That's also good.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

When does S02 start ?

19. shokhead

summer 2014.

Scope J likes this.
  20. shokhead

I guess they will just be working on another case? Like the Killing?

21. agentalbert

Not sure. Don't need to know right now, I guess. But I'm looking forward to S2. I liked this much more than The Killing.

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The Danish series was another case - and a far more gripping story arc than the first, I have to admit.

23. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Wifey and I have been watching season 1 on Hulu...... good show, but heavy..... reminds me a bit of the movie "Seven".

24. agentalbert

Season 2 (13 episodes) starts July 9th. Looking forward to it!

Scope J likes this.
  25. agentalbert

Franka Potente as "Eleanor" is one of the creepiest female villains I've seen on TV. She's doing great! Don't want to cross her.

Any theories on what the secret is regarding the death of Sonya's sister? Hank (and the brother of the alleged killer) obviously know something and Hank doesn't want Sonya to find out about it, which is why he's so uncomfortable with her having anything to do with the brother.

Strange that through two episodes Charlotte and Ray are nowhere to be seen. Or am I forgetting something about their status from the end of S1?

yesstiles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.