The Caine Mutiny

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John Carsell, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

This movie from 1954 has been a long time favorite of mine.

War movies usually put me to sleep, but this one has been the exception to the rule.

Humprey Bogart as Captain Queeg who is the paranoid skipper who takes over a beatin' up old tub from the junkyard Navy also has Van Johnson as 1st Liutenant and Fred Mac Murray as communications officer.

After Captain Queeg takes over, it becomes more and more apparent, that he is unfit to command a ship in the U.S. Navy.

If you've never seen it, by all means check it out.

I was courious of the movie only after I heard the original sountrack LP was the holy grail for soundtrack record collectors, no kidding!

My favorite line from the movie was Fred Mac Murray commenting that "If the strawberries had only been poisoned, all of our problems would be solved."

2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Hi John,

Yes, this is a great film. Then again, I think ANYTHING with Bogart in it is worth watching. Such a versatile actor, and this film proves it, with Bogie's paranoia becoming more and more intense as the film progresses.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Only an actor secure within himself could play such a part, or want to!

hal jones likes this.
  4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Very true, but let's not forget Fred MacMurray: rarely a heavy before(in cinema)or after(on TV), he played against type here as a scheming, scummy instigator of the lowest order. When he finally gets a drink thrown in his face, you think, 'A pistol might have been more fitting.' Very memorable movie; my father always dug the fact that Lee Marvin was one of the swabbies(once having been one himself).

ED:cool:

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I LOVE the turnaround at the end of the movie, where Jose Ferrer gets drunk and says what he really thinks. Rivals the turnaround near the end of Inherit the Wind, when William Jennings Bryan's wife turns on the young, smug couple and asks, "what do you know of the shape [I think that's the word] of a man's life?"

Right in the solar plexus, both of them.

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

He's a pretty good heel in Double Indemnity as well!

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I am watching The Caine Mutiny right now, and there is an audio problem on my DVD... when the disc gets to Chapter 4, the audio drops out completely and there is no sound at all.... the problem lasts the entire length of the chapter, and then things return to normal when the disc gets to Chapter 5. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or do I just have a defective copy?

By the way, the DVD I have is the "Columbia Classics" collector's edition.
    (the 2nd one pictured here: http://www.filmaf.com/search.html?i...,v&init_form=str0_imdb_80579-0*rgn_us*med_d,v )

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Outstanding movie, picked it apart in high school for a class study I ran.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mine has no such problem.

10. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Truly watching The Master at work.

11. Great movie, but compromised by the fact that the producers had to water down the script so that the Navy would not be too put off and allow them the use of a minesweeper. The book is devastating, pulls no punches, and is an excellent read.

rswitzer likes this.
  12. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

http://www.monologuedb.com/dramatic-male-monologues/the-caine-mutiny-captain-queeg/

13. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I agree. I read the book first and watched the movie shortly after. I shouldn't have done that.

14. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

He's also a pretty good HEEL in "The Apartment," as I recall........

bekayne likes this.
  15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Whenever I watch this (and it is one of my favorite movies), when they get to the courtroom scenes it always reminds me of "A Few Good Men". Here you have two masterful actors playing deeply flawed commanders who thought they were doing the right thing, but ended up unknowingly incriminating themselves on the stand. I also think there can be interesting parallels drawn between Bogart's "Queeg" and Jimmy Cagney's "Morton" in "Mister Roberts"-two Golden Age of Hollywood tough guys late in their careers showing they still had the stuff.

16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I agree. Late period Bogart still at the top of his game. He's way better than the film, but then he often was. Never cared for Ferrer. In anything, in fact.

17. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Meatball - Lee Marvin

18. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Horrible - Claude Akins

Jerry Paris is in the movie too as Ensign Harding

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Ok, this is really weird... I took my DVD back to the store yesterday to get it exchanged... and my replacement copy has the exact same audio problem. WTF??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.