the Candlemass thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Did a search and there wasnt a thread on this band. I'm thinking of investigating them, any fans here?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Spaceboy

Nobody like Candlemass? :confused:

3. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

My kids dig 'em. I admire their spunk. A very energetic bunch of lads!

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i never got into them, even in the 80's. not my bag, couldn't take Messiah's vocals. Leif Edling is a helluva nice guy, though.

5. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

I like 'em, been lurking this thread, but I know nothing about them. There seem to be a few afficianados over at Head-Fi. Look for Essential Doom.

6. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is AWESOME!

sathvyre and The Hud like this.
  7. Spaceboy

I bought a copy of Nightfall LP on ebay, I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

8. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Their latest album, self-titled, is excellent. It could be the best reunion-type album that I've ever heard.

9. Spaceboy

Nightfall is a really good album, some excellent riffs and the singing is quite impressive.

10. nin

nin Forum Resident

You should also look into Ancinet Dreams. A great record and the vinyl have really nice sound.

11. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

any good sounding CDs from them? (i.e. not maximized to hell)

12. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i'm wondering the same in regards in the reissues i've seen. i really want to pick up Epicus Doomicus... but am hesitant to get the one that i currently see in stores.

13. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

mentioned this on the metal thread, but thought i'd revive this thread and mention that i picked up Ancient Dreams on CD a few weeks ago (not the reissue). it's my first exposure to Candlemass and i'm really digging it. love the vocals. really great sounding CD as well... i'm still going to steer clear of the remasters unless i hear someone say that they're not smashed.

what's your favorite Candlemass album?

14. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

As I stated previously, you must get EPICUS DOOMICUS METALLICUS :righton:

Try finding the original Black Dragon pressing from France if possible. Super hard to find, however. If your search fails I do have an extra copy I might be willing to part with.

Best of luck and enjoy!

15. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is a masterpiece of an album, a must have :righton:

sathvyre likes this.
  16. nin

nin Forum Resident

I wonder if you Candlemass fans are jealous when I say I will see them live next weekend in a small club:

CANDLEMASS 20 YEAR ANNIVERSARY
    7. February 2007 @ 10:48
    AAARGG!! MARCH 31 IT IS!!!
    One of swedens HEAVIEST and popular metal bands of all time celebrate 20 years with a huge party at Stockholms Kolingsborg. CANDLEMASS perform with three (!) different vocalists, a bunch of famous metal guests + VIP DJ Lee Dorrian from CATHEDRAL!!
    Opening act is GRAND MAGUS!! You can also win cool vinyl and other stuff on your ticketnumber. Don’t throw away your TICKETS!!

For the very first time is the singer from EPICUS DOOMICUS METALLICUS – Johan Langquist – fronting Candlemass!!! This fact will make doom fanatics around the globe book plane seats with sweaty palms!! Tomas Vikström who sang on CHAPTER VI is also on stage this evening. Count on some songs from that album too...
    Another highlight of the show is the presentation of ROBERT LOWE, Candlemass new singer (well known from Solitude Aeturnus) who makes his debut with the doom legends, who were awarded a SWEDISH GRAMMY for best hard rock/metal 2005.
    Robert puts his voice on Candlemass new album, KING OF THE GREY ISLANDS, in february. Preliminary release date june 22 (Nuclear Blast). It’s not totally impossible that a new song (or two) is performed live at KOLINGSBORG Saturday march 31!!!

CANDLEMASS are joined on stage by some really cool metal elite GUESTS. No names mentioned but don’t blame us if you miss this years most WICKED evening. VIP DJ Lee Dorrian (CATHEDRAL) teams up with Magnus from WITCHCRAFT and Candlemass MAPPE + LEIF spins personal and inspirational favourites on the main floor!!!!!!!!!!
    DOOM-OLA from I Hate Records reigns in the basement. It will be HEAVY!!!

YES, there’s MORE!! The great metal trio GRAND MAGUS are ON THE BILL TOO!!!
    DON’T MISS DAMN IT!!!! A new album will be recorded soon...

http://www.candlemass.se/cmass/

The Hud likes this.
  17. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Europe still gets all the good metal shows... I am jealous, for sure!

Have fun!

18. St@N

St@N Forum Resident

I don`t like Messiah's vocal so my choice is Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, unfortunately i can`t find it on CD.
    P.S. Chapter VI is also good.

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've been going through a serious doom phase recently, listening to stuff like Trouble, Pentagram and Saint Vitus; Candlemass had been on my list for years. I just had my first taste of Candlemass yesterday via the relatively recent 2 CD version of Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. The good news is that EDM deserves its reputation as an underground classic. The *really* bad news is that the Peaceville CD sounds like absolute crap. This is really a shame because for an album hailing from 1986, the mix and production are really strong but it's all veiled behind one of the most brickwalled hatchet jobs I've had the displeasure of hearing. I knew I was in trouble when I was turning the volume down during the quiet acoustic/keyboard introduction of "Solitude". Then when the song proper kicks in, the volume went down even more. No kidding, the CD remastering is right down there with "Vapour Trails" and "Death Magnetic". I can usually deal with some compression but even at low volumes, I just can't enjoy this (expensive) set. Oh well. Off to see if I can find a better CD pressing or vinyl copy on E-Bay. EPICUS FAILICUS!!

Crimson Witch and Synthfreek like this.
  20. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Not surprisingly, the original issues are the ones to get. A couple of them sound great, as noted above, like the French edition of Epicus, as well as Nightfall and Ancient Dreams. The remasters are to to be avoided.

21. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Nightfall on Music for Nations from 1994 sounds very good.

22. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I bought Tales of Creation years ago on cassette. I liked it. Good heavy band.

24. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

Anyone pick up these recent Peaceville vinyl reissues?

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Just picked up early US copies for the first 4 + Live for between 4 and 8 bucks each. Listening to Nightfall now, sounds pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.