the Candlemass thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Time to reanimate this old thread !!!
    Today I am in the mood to listen to their great debut album "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus" again....and again...and again.
    I own the original 1986 Black Dragon LP (Made in France) and the US Leviathan pressing...unfortunately, the US pressing doesn't have the nice innersleeve with lyrics and the drawings, but it sounds better to my ears !!! The french LP was cut way too hot I think - you can hear some sibilance and the hihat sounds very nasty in some places. The US pressing is a bit quieter in volume level, but sounds a bit more balanced and warm. What do you think ???

2. BaptizedinFire

BaptizedinFire Forum Resident

I've owned the remasters of the first 4 albums for a long time, but have now started to replace them. Can be a bit expensive, it seems, but I managed to get a Greek promo CD of Epicus from 1998 for a reasonable price which is probably the same mastering as some old edition.

Sounds better than the brickwalled remaster obviously, and the latter seems to have boosted high mids or something (I'm not an expert) which sounds kind of weird. The promo lacks some bottom end, which I solved with a bit of EQ'ing. Now it sounds nice!

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I have been a fan since the early 80's. My taste tend to run with Messiah on vocals, there is however some good stuff with other vocalist. Nightfall and Ancient Dreams are high level, outstanding metal albums. The S/T 2005 album is also good stuff. If you want to branch off a bit, Leif's other band Avatarium is very, very, good. Avatarium is a folk/psych/doom band(if I try to label them), with some fantastic female vocals, well worth checking out. Good to see Candlemass get a bit of love.

Dissidence likes this.
  4. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

foobar2000 1.3.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-08-12 17:34:54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Candlemass / Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (European 1st press, BDCD 013)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.06 dB 5:37 01-Solitude
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.29 dB 9:11 02-Demons Gate
    DR12 0.00 dB -12.37 dB 5:21 03-Crystal Ball
    DR14 0.00 dB -15.13 dB 7:35 04-Black Stone Wielder
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.37 dB 6:53 05-Under the Oak
    DR13 0.00 dB -16.08 dB 8:17 06-A Sorcerer's Pledge

Number of tracks: 6
    Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 987 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

This release in my collection sounds insanely good!

P.S.: I do like this forum but it's preposterous that I cannot insert pics in my post only web links that show pictures! :(

Crimson Witch and BaptizedinFire like this.
  5. BaptizedinFire

BaptizedinFire Forum Resident

Cool! I wish I could hear it. I think my promo CD might be the same as a US pressing. As I said, mine sounds good with some EQ tweaking. Here is some info on it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: Candlemass/Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 -2.40 dB -17.39 dB 01 Solitude.m4a
    DR13 -1.80 dB -16.97 dB 02 Demons Gate.m4a
    DR12 -3.25 dB -16.82 dB 03 Crystal Ball.m4a
    DR13 -2.00 dB -16.33 dB 04 Black Stone Wielder.m4a
    DR13 -1.21 dB -15.42 dB 05 Under The Oak.m4a
    DR13 -1.80 dB -18.11 dB 06 A Sorcerers Pledge.m4a

Number of files: 6
    Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

Album details - Dynamic Range Database ยป

6. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

7. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Based on the last batch of remasters, I don't have high hopes for this anniversary addition. But I would love to be proven wrong!

8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

9. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Own 1986 Black Dragon OG EDM CD. The remasters are not recommended.

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

For the one or two Candlemass fans on the forum, what do you guys think of The Door to Doom? I think it's pretty kick ass so far. As you probably know, EDM singer Johan Langquist is back at the mic for the first time in over 30 years. The album is thick, heavy, epic and atmospheric. And there's a guest spot by none other than Tony Iommi on "Astorolus". Looking at pictures of these guys, I can't believe how old they look, but damn do they ever rock.

sathvyre likes this.
  11. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

One of the funniest metal bands ever.

Spaceboy likes this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Anyone heard, or seen DR analysis, for the 2018 CD reissue of 'Ancient Dreams' on the Peaceville label? I know they crushed 'Epicus..' quite badly, but I am hoping they used at least some restraint for 'AD'.

(the Peaceville-label edition isn't listed on the database at loudness-war.info)

Spaceboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.