The Band: The Capitol Albums 1968-77 8 LP Vinyl box coming 7/15*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave_B80, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_B80

Dave_B80 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I see that QRP is pressing this set, which is generally a good thing, but there is very little info out there other than that. Not sure what that means, but my "missed opportunity" radar is on high alert. Hope I'm wrong--and I often am...

3. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

No information on that other than I am not surprised that we are going to see a reissue of the original Band albums. I kind of assumed that after I heard about the Capital Rarities vinyl set that is coming out as well. That will be all of the bonus tracks from the 2000 cd reissue campaign released on vinyl.

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

sennj likes this.
  5. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

6. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

A little surprised this isn't getting more attention around here. I know there have been a lot or reissues of these already, the way they're going about this: remastered from analog tapes at Capitol, pressed at QRP, and fair price of $150 on Amazon it seems like a pretty good alternative to tracking down clean affordable copies of all these.

7. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

The price seems reasonable, unlike the individual LPs at $30, that's too high. I'm not sure about the box design though, seems like the cheap and easy solution. How about a box that replicates the Big Pink house, or something more interesting?

8. request the Gorts to change. BTW we're just being snarky and picking on you :tiphat: I for one love that all these great acts are releasing new vinyl issues. Many are hard to find clean at decent prices these days.

9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Having just gotten all of MFSL issues last year and some Japanese issues this year, I'm really questioning whether I really need this one...

SKean likes this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a lot of nice originals so not sure I'll get it unless they have some cool premium collectibles inside like a swatch of Garth's beard.

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thread title changed.

Mazzy likes this.
  12. Muchas Gracias!

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How do you like the Mfsl?

14. Dave_B80

=
    you wonder why guys like me don't post often...it's because of guys like you who try to intimidate newbies and pick apart every last word they post...quantity of posts does not equal quality.

marty34 and mpayan like this.
  15. I suggest you try to keep reading and see the difference between snarky replies and direct assaults. Keep posting. This could be a good thread. :tiphat:

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. Dave_B80

i rest my case...why you're doing either to people is beyond me?

17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I like them just fine, I'm all ears if someone points out why I should have this box set too as well as the MFSL issues.

18. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I'm interested. Will await more info on the pressing and whether it is all analog or at least better than the recent Capital reissues.

dasacco likes this.
  19. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

This looks like it's basically Capitol re-releasing the albums on LP, under their new "Universal/UMe" home. All of these have been available new from Capitol in recent years, except MOONDOG, NORTHERN LIGHTS* and ISLANDS*.

I have a complete MoFi set, a signed ROCK OF AGES, and an original MOONDOG with wrap around poster. So I'm just going to pick up those last missing two*...

20. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

Has there been a band more re-re-released then The Band.?It seems every year or two there is a new release of the same old stuff featuring new same old stuff, another alternate take or 12, rehearsals, flubs, tuning up... I mean DON'T GET ME WRONG... I love these guys, but it seems I've bought their catalog over and over again about six times... so, No Thanks guys. Only Elvis may compete with The Band in the 'How can we re sell this stuff one more time' category!

21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've got all the MOFI titles and right now I can't afford the box, so I may just buy the remaining individual titles as and when they come down in price which they are bound to.

I have to say I'm really looking forward to having all their albums on vinyl, this is a good move!

22. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

This looks very tempting although I do have RL versions of S/T and Stage Fright. Also have USA copies of Cahoots and Moondog plus a Japan issue of Rock of Ages.
    I have the Capitol Vaults versions of S/T and Big Pink (which is badly off centre) and they aren't great.
    Will wait to hear some reviews.
    If it's as good as the Springsteen or Beatles Mono boxes I will buy and double up on the titles I already have!

23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Includes MP3 Version...

CBackley likes this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Exactly the way I feel....I mean how many copies of these albums do I need? I can't even count how many copies of these records I wound up with -- my '70s copy of Rock of Ages, my wife's '70s copy of Rock of Ages, the CD reissue of Rock of Ages, the expanded CD Reissue of Rock of Ages, and, though I didn't buy it, I could have also put my hand' on the expanded expanded Academy of Music collection.....I have late '70s copy of the first album, I have an original pressing of the first alum, but Dad -- a show tunes and Sinatra guy -- inexplicably had a copy of the first album so that's another original pressing I've got, I have a CD on that AND much of that stuff and the stuff from all those albums on the Musical History box set......

It's great that this box set is available for vinyl-loving fans just coming to the music for the first time; but I suspect there are a bunch of long-standing Band fans (and I think they're probably my all time favorite rock and roll band), who are pretty much tapped out.

Fender Relic likes this.
  25. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds has it for preorder for $140. They also state the first 4 are only available in the box set. I've asked them for some mastering info. We'll see if they respond.

Dino and dasacco like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.