The Capitol Records 75th Anniversary Collection – Vinyl Reissue Program

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Looks like they're releasing Sinatra's A Swingin Affair LP on June 16th - wondering if it will be similar to the MFSL hybrid SACD that was recently released

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That would be my expectation for A Swingin' Affair! (like Songs for Swingin' Lovers! earlier).

paulmock likes this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh please..please...please...

4. DesertSunDog

DesertSunDog Active Member

I ordered all the Beatles LPs available from Crate & Barrel. "The White Album" arrived yesterday. It was the 2012 digital remaster, so I'm assuming they'll all be in that format. I was really hoping for the US versions. We'll see.

CBackley likes this.
  5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Was it the US pressing, or was there a Made In Germany sticker on the packaging? (All of the Capitol are all discounted on the Crate and Barrel site at this point, incidentally.)

6. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

The US Capitol albums that have the original 60's sound are gone for ever
    You need to search for used copies
    Am I correct yes

7. No Paul McCartney solo? They left out the most prolific solo Beatle and biggest seller eventhough Apple was only distributed in North America by Capitol. Maybe I'm blinder than I though, but I didn't see his name anywhere in the list, but I did see his next group Wings. Overall a nice assemblage of capitol's releases.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Hardly any of them actually came out, so the fact they committed McCartney is just one of many problems with this initiative...

9. Well, besides "McCartney", there was "Ram", "Flowers In The Dirt", "London Oratorio", etc. My favorite was "Ram", which I liked a little better than "McCartney". The first 2 put a lot of money in Capitol's reserves.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I picked up a "used"...maybe played once copy of the Dino UMe. It's...nice...but I like my OP better.

MLutthans likes this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

True, but what I meant was hardly any of the albums planned for the Capitol 75th initiative actually came out, so the fact that they omitted McCartney from their list was just one of the problems in an already flawed plan.

12. Capitol was founded in 1942, so I guess that makes 2017 their 75th anniversary. There's six months left of 2017 and with many pressing companies working beyond capacity, it might take quite awhile to get stuff out. Some of the albums in the list were re-issued within the last few years, so I wouldn't know if they would do it again now.

Bob F likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The original press release, dated November 2016, states: “The reissue program begins this month, and titles will be available through music retailers throughout 2017.”

( CAPITOL RECORDS TO LAUNCH YEAR-LONG 75TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION IN NOVEMBER EXTENSIVE SLATE OF PROJECTS WILL ENCOMPASS MUSIC, FILM AND LITERARY WORLDS )

It further indicates that a Capitol Records Docuseries is “planned for release in the autumn of 2017.” Perhaps the missing LPs will become available at that time, independently of the discontinued Crate and Barrel promotion?

e.s. likes this.
  14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Could be. Music Millennium here in Portland only recently put out a Capitol 75th Anniversary floor display. It doesn't hold much, and what they did have it in was the recent reissue of All Things Must Pass. There doesn't seem to be a cohesive plan behind any of this, though.

15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Similar display at Silver Platters in Lynnwood, WA:
    DSC_0603b.jpg
    I chuckled a bit upon realizing that, when I saw and photographed it, there were literally two LPs in the display. Not a bunch of copies of two LP titles, but literally two LPs, as seen, and only one of them has the 75th sticker on it. That said, it's a pretty good-looking display, and I was hoping to get my name on it, but I saw that somebody beat me to it.

CBackley, superstar19 and e.s. like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, and that one's way more out in the open than the display at MM down here. For some reason (maybe just lack of space), it's upstairs in nears the folk and country albums, which is far from the most trafficked areas of the store.

I agree: It's a nice looking display, despite not being conducive to showing off more than a couple albums at a time.

(And I need to check out the Lynwood Silver Platters next time I'm up that way. I've only been to the one in Seattle.)

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

And not One LP by The Lettermen, who sold millions of Records for Capitol in the 1960s.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I ordered Sgt. Pepper's after @Bob F posted a link to the C&B sales. (Thanks, Bob!) It was only $11.97 plus shipping. And it's the mono pressing! It sounds great.

Bob F likes this.
  19. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Anyone hear anything about Meet The Beatles or Ringo? I have this strange feeling that neither will end up being reissued like Capitol promised

20. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up the Mazzy Star - So Tonight I Might See vinyl from the Capitol 75th Anniversary edition? Really interested in this and hopefully it is not the 4MWB edition.

21. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Oops, that would be Plain Records not 4MWB

22. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

While I have an original, I tried to purchase this Friday to compare the two. They were sold out and it was reordered for me (arrival next Friday). I'll let you know when I get it. It is an amazing album.

sully12 likes this.
  23. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

And presumably still no word on Meet the Beatles actually being reissued?

Of course it's not even shown here, while the other 4 Beatle albums that were part of the original list are included:
    75th Anniversary

It probably never dawned on them at the start that Meet the Beatles was the only album of the five without a direct UK counterpart.....

:confused:

Isamet and MLutthans like this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That's probably why, they are probably using the latest remasters/cut for these releases.

25. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Anyone have/heard this version of Pet Sounds? Saw it on clearance and was debating grabbing it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.