The Cardigans Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anthontherun, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Wow, that's fantastic. So we finally will get "Emmerdale" and the original "Life" instead of the compiled "Life".

Billy Budapest and e.s. like this.
  2. Neonbeam

Last night I played my Stockholm Records original of "First Band On The Moon" for the first time in AGES and I totally had forgotten what a bizarre and quirky album it is. Really great!!!

Mal, marc with a c and e.s. like this.
  3. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

What is the faux country accent? Or I guess, I should ask is there a specific line of a sound as an example of what you're referring to?

e.s. and shaboo like this.
  4. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Suprisingly stumbled across what looks like a first-press Swedish version of Emmerdale at the CD stall in my local market on Saturday (I was, uh, Christmas shopping). Trampoline label, silver to core, Made In Germany by PMDC. Found a Swedish Last Band On The Moon at the same time. Both sound fantastic - incredible how well the production on that first album has aged.

Largely missed this band back in the day, beyond the singles, although I saw them at Reading Festival during the Gran Tourismo era, and they were superb - not sure why I never followed up. I picked up a copy of GT for 30p (<50 cents!) from a house clearance box at a car boot sale last year, and have been spinning it since. I'd made a note to pick up the rest of their catalogue, but was discouraged by all the tracklist tampering that seems to have taken place, particularly on Life.

Time to hit discogs or Tradera to pick up Swedish originals of their remaining albums, I think. Other than Gran Tourismo and Emmerdale, it looks like all the UK releases were tampered with or augmented in some way.

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Aside from Life, no other tampering - just different bonus tracks in different territories - and you need them all...

"Slowdown Town" on the Japanese Super Extra Gravity, for example (also on Best Of disc 2 but guess which one sounds better ;)):

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Neonbeam likes this.
  6. Ha!

Mal likes this.
  7. And also different versions of some of the tracks, as we discussed above. It would be neat to compile a chart with the differences. Maybe some day when I have the time!

jamesc likes this.
  8. It's on almost every song on the entire album. It's where Nina is trying to sound like she is from Texas.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Unless I'm forgetting something, all releases are the same for the album portion except for Life which has three variations.

Here's an amended version of my earlier post on Life

Scandinavia [Trampolene TRACD1503] and Japan [Polydor POCP-7020] - 1995

[note - no songs from Emmerdale appear on this original version of Life]

Carnival
    Gordon's Gardenparty
    Daddy's Car
    Pikebubbles
    Tomorrow
    Beautiful One
    Travelling with Charley
    Fine
    Sunday Circus Song
    Hey! Get Out of My Way
    Closing Time

EU [Stockholm 523556-2] - 1995

Three songs were dropped from the original running order ("Pikebubbles", "Sunday Circus Song" and "Closing Time") and were replaced with five songs:

"Sick & Tired", "After All..." and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" - taken directly from Emmerdale

"Celia Inside" - same version as Emmerdale but a different mix.

"Rise & Shine" - remake as found on the single release.

The original version of "Hey! Get Out Of My Way" was replaced by the edit found on the single release.

Carnival
    Gordon's Gardenparty
    Daddy's Car
    Sick & Tired
    [taken from Emmerdale]
    Tomorrow
    Rise & Shine
    [single remake]
    Beautiful One
    Travelling With Charley
    Fine
    Celia Inside
    [alternate mix of Emmerdale version]
    Hey! Get Out Of My Way [single edit]
    After All... [taken from Emmerdale]
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath [taken from Emmerdale]

USA [Minty Fresh mf-15] - 1996

Along with the three songs cut for the EU edition, "Travelling With Charley" was also dropped. Five songs were taken directly from Emmerdale for this edition. That includes the original version of "Rise & Shine" as opposed to the remake found on the single and on the EU edition of Life. "Hey! Get Out Of My Way" is the original version as opposed to the edit found on the single and the UK edition of Life. The bonus track "Happy Meal" has the same backing track as "Happy Meal II" from First Band On The Moon but features a different vocal and a different mix.

Carnival
    Daddy's Car
    Fine
    Rise & Shine
    [taken from Emmerdale]
    Our Space [taken from Emmerdale]
    Celia Inside [alternate mix]
    Over The Water [taken from Emmerdale]
    Tomorrow
    Sick & Tired
    [taken from Emmerdale]
    Beautiful One
    Gordon's Gardenparty
    Hey! Get Out Of My Way
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    [taken from Emmerdale]
    Happy Meal [alternate mix with alternate vocal]

1999 - Minty Fresh finally released Emmerdale [mf-32] with an extra disc of the 4 songs not on their US edition of Life :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Billy Budapest, jamesc and e.s. like this.
  10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

Billy Budapest and JMAC like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just bought First Band On The Moon and the Best Of compilation and I'm very impressed! There are some great songs on the album!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  12. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Ta for all the info around the different versions of Life - that's seriously a Capitol Beatles level of unnecessary tinkering! I'll definitely go Swedish.

Regarding the later albums otherwise untampered with save for bunging a few bonus tracks on the end, that's still tampering in my book. I hate it when a perfectly planned album ends at the right time with the right closer, then before you've had two seconds to reflect on it, you get kicked into a B-Side/Remix/Offcut. Yes, I am aware CD players have a program function, but I don't want to have to use it every time I pick up the album. I like a CD to be an album, an artistic statement, not just a means of digital data storage.

Whirl-Fred likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

I guess the thing is more complicate since there are also "vinyl only" bonus tracks - see the first two Oasis albums. If a bonustrack on a cd is clearly marked as one I don't mind at all, I use "program". I prefer that to overlong albums that try to use the cd format to give the buyer "value";);)

What I definitely HATED were cds with unmarked bonustracks, the first Beggars Banquet cds of "The Wonderful And Frightening World" and "This Nation's Saving Grace" (by The Fall, of course) come to mind. These two discs extended these (excellent) albums with (excellent) eps to 70+ minutes. Without showing what is what. Which made this brillant music painful to listen to:(

Bottom line: Stuff like this made me switch back to vinyl in 1998. Zero regrets:):)

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Wonderful...I better start saving up now. :)

SecondHandNews likes this.
  15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Each album has been released on CD with no bonus tracks as well as there being a few variations by territory with different bonus tracks and/or artwork.

One copy of each album is not enough!

POCP-7170 (second Japanese edition - with second bonus track added)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the earlier b-sides look no further than The Other Side Of The Moon [POCP-7267] - great sounding CD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Both bonus tracks can be found on The Other Side Of The Moon and on the limited edition bonus disc of Best Of, too.

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

On singles too :agree:

Ahh, but the cover...

:)

SecondHandNews likes this.
  18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I think she sounds great! But then I'm from Chicago, home of Ministry with their faux British accent on their first album. :p

19. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Well, I carried out my threat. Freshly arrived today from Tradera.se:

[​IMG]

All Swedish domestic copies. Life has the correct track listing, and the others are free from bothersome bonus tracks. Hurrah!

I've only listened to Long Gone Before Daylight once so far, but I can't imagine having another track after 03.45: No Sleep. It's a perfect album closer.

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

How about the SACD for LGBD (no bonus tracks or extra compression)?

Good luck on your quest should you decide to accept the mission: impossible...

This post won't self destruct but you get the idea.

:)

21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Maybe not that rare, but the Swedish Super Extra Gravity is a black (rather than silver) CD, like the old Playstation 1 games were. It also looks totally unplayed, despite exterior case wear.

Mal likes this.
  22. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

thought that single was abousttely fantstic, bough the cd in 2005 and never listened to it (still have it), have been planning on listening to it since 2005. ive come close, but then its like """chewy you -could- be listening to Three Sides Live""" again rt now....and....well u know....i know its probably good

23. How about this:

What B-sides, mixes, and edits are ONLY available on singles, promos, or the odd disc here and there, but are not available on the two-disc Best Of or The Other Side of the Moon? I seem to remember there are quite a LOT.

24. To date, Carnival is my favorite Cardigans song. The production is so good on it that on the right system,* Nina sounds like she is singing in the room with you.

*best with EL-34's!

SecondHandNews, anthontherun and Mal like this.
  25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Tracks in bold are only found here (with the occasional repeat):

CD Singles

Black Letter Day (Radio Edit)
    / Figured Out ('93 demo)

Lovefool (Radio Edit)
    / Sick & Tired (Live) / Carnival (Live) / Rise & Shine (Live)

Been It (Censored Radio Edit)
    / Been It (Radio Edit) / Blah Blah Blah / Losers (First Try)

Your New Cuckoo (Radio Edit)
    / I Figured Out ('93 demo) / After All ('93 demo) / Lovefool (Radio Edit)

Erase/Rewind / Live at Hultsfredsfestivalen: Sick & Tired / Never Recover / Lovefool / Heartbreaker

Hanging Around (Alternative Radio Mix)
    / My Favourite Game (Rollo's Mix) / Hanging Around (Nåid Remix) / Hanging Around [Video]

For What It's Worth / The Road / For What It's Worth (Polar Session) / Das Model '00

You're The Storm / Hold Me / You're The Storm (Sandkvie Session) / You're The Storm (First Demo)

Live And Learn / If There Is A Chance / Changes (BBC Radio 2 Session) / My Favourite Game (BBC Radio 2 Session)

I Need Some Fine Wine and You, You Need to Be Nicer / Explode (Live in Kiev) / My Favourite Game (Live in Kiev)

Don't Blame Your Daughter (Diamonds) / Hanging Around (Live in Kiev) / Higher (Live in Kiev)

Cassette single

Hanging Around (Radio Version)* /
    My Favourite Game (Acoustic Radio Session)

* seems to be the regular album version if the 8-track CD-R promo collecting the various "Hanging Around" singles is from the same masters as used for the cassette]

CD promo

Losers (Radio Edit) / Losers (Album Version)
    [Mercury US promo]

Rewind-Live - Live at Hultsfredsfestivalen: Sick & Tired / Never Recover / Heartbreaker / Lovefool / Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    [HMV Canada promo]

Hanging Around 8-track promo CD-R - includes Hanging Around (Alternative Radio Mix) and My Favourite Game (Acoustic version)

You're The Storm / You're The Storm (Censored Version)

You're The Storm (Radio Edit)

Live and Learn (Radio Version)

there is also a 'Single Edit' promo for "Live and Learn" that is listed as 30 seconds longer than the 'Radio Version' but seems to be identical with 30 seconds of silence added (both of these omit the guitar / organ intro)

This list does not include all the variations in the catalogue but covers those not available on albums (corrections / additions welcome). Also not included are the remixes found on the First Band On The Moon and Gran Turismo singles.

There are also a couple of discs with interview segments promoting Gran Turismo (the Canadian promo and the standalone interview disc are not the same).

----------------------

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    jamesc likes this.