The Carpenters fever just keeps spreading...I just bought the whole catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

My 80's CD is a normal US issue w/ no 1991 copyright date and that has the original and my BMG Remastered Classics has the remix. How does Richard even keep track of all these remixes!

2. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

If there has to be remixing, Richard should hand the tapes over to someone who can be more objective.

3. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have been a Carpenter fan since I first heard them in 1969, unfortuneately, I had to be a "closet fan" for many years. There music was not very hip in the late 60s and were not given the respect they deserved.

4. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

One last question so I can put this all to rest. First up, based on the info I now have, I'm going to pick up the "Remastered Classics" original LP CDs to get all of the original mixes. Regarding the remaster of "The Singles 1969-1973" CD, the info on Grant Guerrero's website is a little vague. He doesn't list the details for the remastered CD, only the original version, but would I be I correct in assuming that there are NO remixes on the remastered version (except that it contains the 1973 single version of "Top Of The World")?

So, to wrap it up, if I pick up the Remastered Classics original LP CDs (I already have the remastered "Singles 1969-1973" CD) then I should have all of the original "hit version" mixes, yes?

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If by "hit version" mixes, you mean the ones that were played on the radio most frequently, then the answer is both yes and no.

Like any other group, Carpenters had single mixes of some of their recordings. "Close To You" for example on the single fades out at about 3:50 something. The album track of that same song goes on for another 40 seconds or so, with a little piano interlude and then a reprise of the final "Wahhh, Close to you" chorus repeated a few times. But the basic recording on the album CLOSE TO YOU (REMASTERED CLASSIC) is the same as what you heard on radio - it just goes on longer. So in essence, no, you won't have the original "hit version" mix of that song on that album, but you sort-of will - if you just fade it out at the appropriate time. And in this example, it's not necessary anyway, because you stated that you have the Remastered Classic SINGLES 1969-1973, which has the single mix of "Close To You" on it anyway.!

Many don't differ at all, like "We've Only Just Begun" - it was the same on the single and the album. Same with "Superstar" and "Rainy Days and Mondays". When you get to the A SONG FOR YOU album, you'll run into a few songs with album/single mix differences, like "Top Of The World", which again you'll have on the SINGLES disc. "I Won't Last A Day Without You" is another that has a slightly different single mix. For that particular single mix, you'll have to seek out the old '80s version of A SONG FOR YOU to get it on CD.

Other single mixes never made it to CD at all, like the shortened "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft".

Ther essence though, is that if you have all of the Remastered Classic albums, then you'll have all of the original songs in their original album]/b] mixes, the way they existed before any of the often-dreaded remixes began to appear. For single/"hit" mixes, it's more of a pick and choose situation, and nowhere definitive to find them all in one place.

6. bartels76

The Remastered Classics CD has the 1985 remix of Yesterday Once More, the original issue from the 80's has the original version. Some people have a 1991 version of Singles and say that has the 1985 remix as well.
    Some people also say the Japanese Remastered Classics have the orginal mix of Yesterday Once More.

7. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I'm getting closer... SIGH :sigh:

OK so now I add:

ORIGINAL 1980's CD version of "Now & Then"

and I'm good... for now... :goodie:

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

And keep in mind that the single mix of "Solitaire" did not appear on cd until the recent 2-cd "Gold" collection.

Collecting Carpenters singles mixes on cd is not as easy as it could (and should) be. I was very disappointed when the expanded Singles cd first came out and discovered that it was mostly remixes. Given that it closely followed the release of the original albums on cd and those contained the original album mixes, I had anticipated the Singles collection containing all original singles mixes. Maybe one day Richard will understand the importance of these sometimes different mixes and put all of them together on one collection. (And it's too bad that the recent hybrid SACD wasn't mastered that way -- it would have been very nice to have had all of the original singles mixes in high rez.)

9. bartels76

Wouldn't that CD be hard to find? You can just get the remastered one. Why do you need the 80's one. The RC Singles 69-73 has the remixed YOM NOT the RC Now & Then.

10. HGN2001

There are apparently quite a few SINGLES 1969-1973 issues floating around out there. Some have that remix, some have the original single version. I personally only have two, and original disc bought back when CDs were new-fangled things, and it's the original single mix. I also have a Remastered Classic version bought when THOSE were new here in the US, and it too has the original single mix.

Since the subject is often brought up both here an on the A&M Corner forum, I've learned that there are some re-issues currently availablae of the disc from Canada that have the remix. One of our A&M Corner people (Scott B.) questioned Richard via email about this fact, and he apparently didn't quite understand the question:

Later, Scott tried again to clarify his question:

So, bottom line is: Ya just can't tell what you're getting until you listen to it!

11. bartels76

Oh my that alost made my head explode. I have the BMG US Remasterd Classic issues w/ the remix. You can add that to the list.

12. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It should say "Singles 1969-1973" in Harry's post, not "Singles 1969-1981".

13. HGN2001

OK, can we all just agree that with SINGLES 1969-1973 that there are many different issues and pressings and it just depends on which one you managed to get as to which mix appears for "Yesterday Once More."

I've quoted what Richard said on the subject, and even HE didn't have info on all that's out there.

From my point of view, and I have two SINGLES 1969-1973 CDs, one original US release from the '80s and one Remastered Classic version from the US in 1998 and both have the original single version of "Yesterday Once More".

Others out there have different releases, some even say Remastered Classic, and they have the 1985 remix of "Yesterday Once More" on it. It may or may not be Candaian or German - not enough info on that yet. Can anyone post on when or where their "remixed" versions come from? It seems like folks want to pin this down.

14. HGN2001

ACK! I'm going to back and edit those!

15. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

OK I got a little confused there with the qoute! I thought you were referring to "Now & Then."

But now someone else is saying that the RC version of "Singles" has the original mix of YOM? :confused: :help:

16. HGN2001

Mine does! Original single mix of "YOM" on Remastered Classics of SINGLES 1969-1973 = YES (for me - others are claiming something different!)

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What are the differences, if any, between the two cd's you have in terms of song mixes, sound quality, packaging, and artwork?

-thanks

18. HGN2001

The differences between the two SINGLES 1969-1973 are many, particularly in packaging. I'll describe each here:

Original '80s disc, CD 3601
    Booklet: three page foldout with lyrics inside. Cover has both an A&M logo and a Compact Disc logo in the lower corners, one panel has sepia-tinted photo of duo on wooden bridge, another panel has rear tracklisting artwork.

Disc: Silver colored disc with black printing, track numbers in 'digital' style font.

Tray: Plain black

Rear Insert: Track listing just like the front insert's rear. Fonts are the same as on the disc, including the digital-style font for the track numbers. A&M Logo and Compact Disc logo at the bottom. A&M address given as PO Box 118, Hollywood, CA. No UPC code.

Sound: noticeable speed-up on "Superstar," "Rainy Days And Mondays," and "Goodbye To Love." As stated before, "Yesterday Once More" is the single mix. Digital total time of disc - 41:32.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remastered Classic version, 82839 3601 2
    Booklet: Twelve page stapled booklet that includes lyrics and new liner notes and track by track notes from Paul Grein, as well as composer and publisher credits. Cover has no A&M logo and no Compact Disc logo. Sepia tinted photo appears on rear of booklet. Cover coloring in more of a chocolate brown.

Disc: Black overprinting as background, red Carpenters and A&M logo, silver printing for track titles and copyright info.

Tray: clear with Remastered Classics catalog printed below. Tiny print with credit for remastering by Bernie Grundman and Richard Carpenter.

Rear insert: Track listing in original LP style of fonts. A&M/Polygram Logo in upper right corner along with Compact Disc logo. A&M Records in the copyright listings is noted as "a PolyGram company." UPC code in upper right.

Sound: Speed corrected for the "Superstar," "Rainy Days and Mondays," and "Goodbye To Love". "Yesterday Once More" is single mix. Digital total time of disc = 41:39

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick a/b comparison this morning reveals that the older disc has a more sterile, thinner, digital sound to it, while the newer one seems a bit louder, warmer, more analogue-like. The newer disc sounds a few db louder to me as well, but not "smashed." Peaks on my CD Recorder's meters lap into the -3 range and never over that.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wow! What an answer. Thanks a lot that was great.

So, the old one is light brown, and the remastered one is dark brown?

Were there US editions of the remastered SINGLES 1969-1973, or is it just the Japan one I see on Amazon?

20. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes, I think it came out around the same time as the rest of the remasters. I remember buying this CD and the remastered "Yesterday Once More" set at the same time when they came out. I don't know why it's out of print now - doesn't make any sense. I also remember the original version having very thin, tinny, "digital" sound.

21. HGN2001

Both are dark brown, but the Remaster has more of a reddish tinge to it making it look more like a chocolate bar. The older one is a flatter brown color. This info is probably not all that important though as differences in printing runs on the booklets could account for color discrepancies.

The one I referred to above IS the US Remaster. It was only in print a very short time, coming out late 98/early 99 and replaced when the later SINGLES 1969-1981 appeared.

22. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Does the SINGLES 1969-1981 CD negate the need for the 69-73 set? Does it have the intros/segues, etc. intact?

23. bartels76

No. You still need Singles 69-73 plus 69-81 is all remixed for the most part.

24. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

I know the feeling. However, when it comes to The Carpenters - the whole catalogue is a keeper!

25. HGN2001

Not really. The original '69-'73 disc was almost like an album on its own, with a prelude created specially for it, special segues between some tracks, and the new updated "Ticket To Ride", plus some single mixes of "Top Of The World" and "Yesterday Once More."

The '69-'81 set is more or less a straightforward greatest hits disc, with little or no connection between the tracks. One exception to that is the special piano segue addition connection between "I Won't Last A Day Without You" and "Close To You". Drawback to this edition is that it's virtually all remixes.

Now, before everyone says, "What segue?", I'm referring to the earlier release and not the SACD version of '69-'81 that came out this year. That one has NO segues, and a different track listing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.