The Carpenters fever just keeps spreading...I just bought the whole catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

That "Close to You" prelude reflected what they did in concerts, IIRC, and TV appearances that involved several songs, where they would play a bit of Close to You, but then proceed to another song. If you can find it, they did this on their 1971 Live at the BBC special, which featured Tony Joe White.

2. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Did the single mix of YOM appear on the original vinyl release of "69-73" ?

3. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I have both the Original release of "69-73" and the Remaster and I like the original better as far as the sound quality . To me it sounds more analog like than the remaster does. I picked up the SACD of the "69-81" and been playing it quite often. I really like Karen's vocals and the surround mix is well done too. Karen's voice is one the best their has been and will always be one of my favorites.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yes, it was on the original vinyl.

5. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I thought so too, originally - I thought the remaster was a little too bassy and muddy. As I compared them more, and listened to it on my studio system, I changed my mind.

6. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Hi all forum members!
    I'm new here, and this is my first posting. I live in Norway and I've been following this forum for some years. :)

I thought I maybe have some additional info on various Carpenters "The Singles 1969-73" on CD.
    Mine copy, bought here in europe is a re-master. On the back-cover it's printed : "Digitally re-mastered by Richard Carpenter, November 1991"
    Total time of disc = 41:40 A&M 393601-2 POL 899 and the booklet is only 3 pages.

The sound (I'm an audiophile) is very good. It is very analog sounding with some tape hiss. It has a master-tape feeling over it.

Espen.

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's odd. Didn't someone else say that the un-remastered one is too digital sounding?

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Espen R.,

you have exactly the same CD as me. I agree, it sounds absolutely great. However, Yesterday once More is probably the 1985 remix. (But I have nothing to compare to.)

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Where did you get it?

10. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I have the two versions of 69-73 on CD and I still prefer my half-speed master LP from A&M Canada (the gold border cover).

11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

2006- Emmylou Harris
    2007- Amie Mann
    2008- Rosanne Cash
    :D
    2009- Tori Amos
    2010- Bjork
    2011- Cher
    :agree:

12. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I hope she doesn't eat EXACTLY like Karen.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...your a funny guy! :p

...no chance, she's fit as a fiddle and we like it that way.:thumbsup:

14. Reiki Master

Reiki Master Forum Resident

I have 5 CDs of Ms Akiko Kobayashi but I don't have the one you talked about. Yes, she sounds like Karen. She put out an "A Song for You - Carpenters Anthology" CD in 2003 but I did not buy it, it has only 11 songs on that CD.

15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I just saw a Readers Digest 3-CD, 61 track Carpenters box set.

Does anybody have it?

Comments?

16. HGN2001

17. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident

Hi Bartels76! I think it's great you've discovered the Carpenters. Karen is easily one of the finest singers of all-time and Richard's musicianship is outstanding.

I have everything they have ever released on CD - anyway U.S. releases. My favorite studio album is by far 1975's "Horizon" - what an outstanding work of art.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have it, it's definetly a worthy purchase...not sure what's it going for today since it's OOP?...sound is typical Richard...some far from the original...

19. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I am glad to see the Carpenters finally get the respect they deserve. When they first started recording in the early 70s, they were definitely "uncool". Their style of music was not the trend in 1970. I was a Carpenters fan then, and am still a Carpenters fan today. The SACD of their greatest hits is great.

20. Rick1229

Rick1229 Forum Resident

I am also very happy to see the Carpenters are finally receiving the respect they deserve. Musically and vocally they are outstanding. So the music is soft, tender and sweet. But that's okay - there's always room for something beautiful in our lives and the Carpenters made about the most beautiful music ever.

21. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I've heard the exclusive to that Reader's Digest set live medley - very nice.

22. HGN2001

Well, it's close to exclusive, anyway. That medley first appeared around 1987-88 on a Japanese 4-disc box set called ANTHOLOGY. It went out of print for a few years and then was re-issued in the mid-'90s with some more tweaks by Richard and new artwork. Shortly thereafter is when the Readers' Digest folks released their three-disc set in the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.