The Chaplin Puzzle - narrated by Burgess Meredith

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davenav, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter Thread Starter

I watched this last night, and despite the lamentable quality of the transfer from VHS, I found it entrancing. There pictures I'd not seen before, a wonderful symphonic score, passionate narration by Burgess Meredith, and a re-edited version of Police (1916) that trounces the official version.

Just wondering if anyone has a bit more info on this extremely well-made documentary? IMDB has very little on it.

One thing I noticed is that, although it is always referred to as a 2-parter, the credits hint that it was in fact longer, since films from Chaplin's Mutual period are listed but never seen.

I think there is a restoration of the Essanay films underway - how cool would it be to see this doc included, with the later chapter or chapters if they exist. Also, the clearly superior edit of Police is begging to be more widely seen.

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    davenav likes this.
  3. davenav

4. davenav

Too bad no seems interested in this. It's really a terrific documentary. I may get that DVD set just to get that one item on it.

5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I was unaware of this film. Enjoyed it very much. Thank you!

6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Agreed. I hadn't been aware of this one either. Very well done.

7. davenav

The re-edit of Police is amazing, and it shines a light on the important period just prior to the Mutual period.

8. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I definitely plan to. Surprised that I'd never heard of it before either.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Looks interesting! I'll give it a watch later this week when I've got a bit more time. :)

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched a half hour. Pretty good, but not much new for me.

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I just pulled out the DVD. It is a single sided disc and looks much better than the YouTube version, although you are still dealing with 80 year old footage(at the time).

12. davenav

I think the journey through the Essanay period is very well done. Yeah, nothing much that's new (wasn't expecting that from a 1992 documentary anyway). But the "restored" Police at the end was a revelation.

Chaplin's last comedies for Essanay were his most ambitious, but were tampered with after his departure. The re-edit of Police makes the leap in quality of the Mutual period way more understandable.

I also found the writing, music, and narration to be just excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.