the Chronicles of Narnia, the BBC edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fishcane, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer Thread Starter

Not trying to start a religious discussion, strictly from an entertainment perspective.....This BBC box set has been collecting dust on my shelf for a few years but have just begun watching them with my daughter. I haven't watched them in years....What a treat these 80s episodes are, in case we really needed proof that CGI isn't everything.... Had to smile when Tom Baker appeared, I totally forgot he was in this series at all.

Of course the animated version LWW was my first introduction but I enjoy this one much more.

Any others fans of this version? did you watch it when it was first aired? Any of you prefer the animated LWW?

longdist01 likes this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Saw it as a kid, probably in the early 90s. Good show from what I remember

3. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

These are THE versions to watch. I was incredibly disappointed with the pathetic movie attempts. Plus the early episodes had the great Michael Aldridge (who played Seymour in Last of the Summer Wine) as the owner of the house the wardrobe is in.

longdist01 and fishcane like this.
  4. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I watched it when I was a kid. I think it aired at teatime on Sunday Evenings. I re-watched it a few years ago after buying the DVD. It wasn't too bad, although the actress who plays the White Witch was quite wooden.

5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I was obsessed with these when I was 9-10 years old. Same with Dr. Who. I rewatched the first episode recently, and I enjoyed it. Are these on Blu-Ray? I'd really like to get them for my son. Gotta find kids shows that don't make me want to jump out a window.

swedgin likes this.
  6. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That's funny, I felt a little wooden when I watched her.

goodiesguy and fishcane like this.
  7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Unlikely to appear on Blu-Ray, as these were shot on 1" Standard Definition Videotape. They're stuck in 480p forever. Although if the original studio tapes exist they could always go back and reassemble the episodes digitally to slightly improve the picture quality as the finished product, with title captions and effects is always a few generations down from the original recordings..

8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

That makes sense. I can't imagine that there's any incentive for them to do that.

goodiesguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.