The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was organizing some books on my shelf today and saw the copy of Shriek that I still haven't read (I tend to have a stack of 10-12 "to read" books at any given time!). Any other Church fans buy the double package of book plus soundtrack that the band was selling on their website a few years ago? I'll have to play that cd again tomorrow because I don't remember it at all.

2. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I took the plunge and ordered Further/Deeper on vinyl,complete with almost $20 shipping from Australia to the USA.I am just getting back into buying The Church,after being aw ay for twenty years.Sometime/Anywhere.A band won't evenr get my money if they don't do vinyl,even The Church,no matter how much I love 'em.I have a big Church collection from 1980-1994.test pressings,the rare solo records,all the EPs,and I have this too.

I have not seen many copies of Hindsight on vinyl.I don't know about Australia,but I have seen fewer copies of this comp,than many of the original singles.

Given all the hype Further/deeper is getting on the web,I hope it's the biggest thing for Kilbeyband Co. Since Starfish.They certainly deserve it.

Aggie87, Em. and soundfanz like this.
  3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Here's my needledrop of the 7" version :)

4. EasterEverywhere

5. EasterEverywhere

6. EasterEverywhere

7. I'm still bummed that Marty isn't part of the band any more.

8. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Have you heard the new album?
    Time moves on, he made his choice, but I believe the band is re - energized now without him there, and a fresh face in the fold.
    Don't get me wrong, I initially thought the band would be a shadow of their former self, but damn. ....Further Deeper is one of the bands best ever albums, and seeing them perform the album live in it's entirety was exhilarating.

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

10. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

US tour dates announced!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...te-35th-anniversary?mobile_redirection=false/

Feb. 21: Vancouver, BC -- Rio Theater
    Feb. 23: Seattle, WA -- Triple Door
    Feb. 24: Seattle, WA -- Triple Door
    Feb. 27: Los Angeles, CA -- El Rey Theatre
    Feb. 28: San Diego, CA -- The Casbah
    March 2: Aspen, CO -- Belly Up Tavern
    March 3: Denver, CO -- Gothic Theater
    March 5: Minneapolis, MN -- Cedar Cultural Center
    March 6: Chicago, IL -- Double Door
    March 7: Cleveland, OH -- The Grog Shop
    March 9: Washington, DC -- 9:30 Club
    March 10: Philadelphia, PA -- World Cafe Live
    March 12: Boston, MA -- The Sinclair
    March 13: New York, NY -- Bowery Ballroom
    March 14: Brooklyn, NY -- Rough Trade
    March 15: Raleigh, NC -- Cat's Cradle
    March 17: Atlanta, GA -- Terminal West
    March 18-21: Austin, TX -- SXSW

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Playing Boston day after my birthday / know what I'm asking for now!

Twangy likes this.
  12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Thanks for the tour dates! On sale on Friday at noon.

I'm sure there's more to the story than what I've read, but it sounds like MW Piper really was unreachable... dozens of emails and attempts to call him were fruitless. Maybe he was pissed about all the bad blood stemming from Kilbey's outburst regarding financial issues with Second Motion, maybe he decided to take Kilbey's threat to end the band at face value and didn't want to deal with his back-peddling. Who knows?

I haven't heard the new album, but am really looking forward to it.

13. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Well then, I think a pre-show drink is in order for all of us Boston area Church fans from this board! I can't believe they're playing in Harvard Square! Just 2 miles or so down the road from me.

Twangy and JeffMo like this.
  14. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

The new album is great! It took a few listens to sink in, but I really dig it now. I thought I would really miss MWP, but I like the sound of the "new" Church. I bought the FLAC download from their site, couldn't wait until Feb. for the US release.

EasterEverywhere and factory44 like this.
  15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sounds like a great idea!

That certainly makes you part of the congregation then. I considered it, but between Depeche Mode/Bowie/Simple Minds/Tears For Fears and, oh yeah, Record Store Day, my budget is in shambles this month!

16. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Interesting. I actually think the "new" Church isn't far removed from the "old" Church.
    I don't really understand though why a lot of US based fans didn't pick up the Album from Australia, rather than wait until February?
    95% of my music purchases are from OS, and think nothing of importing vinyl from anywhere.
    That said, the vinyl release of Further Deeper is due out mid December....so guess I am playing the waiting game as well.:)

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  17. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Yeah, its's tough, a lot of good releases this fall, I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the TFF set, SM as well. Can't wait for the new Swervedriver album also.

18. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess what I meant was that I thought without MWP they would sound different, but actually they don't, they sound like The Church but with a little more energy.

As to why a lot of us US fans didn't pony up for the vinyl / CD from AUS, well, I guess we are a bit spoiled here. I think for the vinyl it was as much for the record as the shipping. I know, lame on our behalf, but that's why I went for the FLAC download. Can't wait for the vinyl though.

soundfanz likes this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Shipping prices from your part of the world tend to deter me. I wanted one of the Church DVDs awhile back and the postage was 2x the cost of the product or something ridiculous.

I'm really interested in Steve Kilbeys new book, but amazon wants $58 for a paperback!

The last time I attended a Church concert the merch table was stocked with all kinds of goodies at reasonable prices, so I plan to search for these items next spring.

EasterEverywhere and AlienRendel like this.
  20. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

Well then, I think a pre-show drink is in order for all of us Boston area Church fans from this board! I can't believe they're playing in Harvard Square! Just 2 miles or so down the road from me

Cool! Put me in with i'm with you guys! Having had graphic design involvement with Second Motion on a bunch of Kilbey.Church stuff for a few years, as well as being a fan since finding "She Never Said" at the defunct Third Street Jazz in Philly in late 1980, i think it's awesome the boys are getting more attention and I agree, i bought the cd right off the bat from AU, who wants to wait til February!

JeffMo likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Ugh, I noticed that Mar 12 is a weekday. I had to miss the first couple of songs last time I caught the band on a weeknight show, so "pencil" me in for the social event pre-show. It will depend on my work schedule unfortunately, but that is what supports my Church music collection so I can't complain (especially since my firm went through layoffs last week).

22. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

:wave::wave:
    The Grog Shop (Cleveland)......... what a great name!! :agree::wave:

ad180 likes this.
  23. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Bought my ticket for the Cat's Cradle. I'm really looking forward to this show.

24. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

One of the few times a friend recommended a band to me and proved to be right...Listening carefully since mid-80's and felt privileged to see them live a few years ago...

25. EasterEverywhere

I was one of them that sprung for the vinyl from Australia.I wasn't sure if there was going to be a US vinyl release or not.