The Church - any of the congregation here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by uglything, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I've noted that the only CD that contains "Ride Into The Sunset" which doesn't cut-off the first 1 or 2 seconds of the tune, seems to be the US issue of "Russian Autumn Heart". I got to know that version from the time it was released, and was surprised when the chopped version appeared on the "A Quick Smoke At Spot's" compilation, then again on the 2xCD reissue of GAF. The first three words of the tune are cut off; "Out in the Open..." instead is chopped-off to just say "...open". Pretty terrible.

Also, on the Arista (US) issue of Remote Luxury, there's a short instrumental piece that leads into "No Explanation". Is that short instrumental piece on any other issue? I know it's not on the Sing Songs/Persia/Remote Luxury CD, not sure if it was on the original Persia EP, though.

2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Got the Remote Luxury 12" EP today for $2 ... never heard it before ... good stuff :righton:

--Geoff

JeffMo likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I think "Remote Luxury" intrumental intro is on my german red face cd too.
    $2? wow but which press? black labels australin? condition?
    I never found that EPs in low prices in nm or m condition :/

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

EMI Parlophone BUG 5 yellow label, Australia. Seems to be VG++ all round.

--Geoff

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

nice, enjoy! great ep

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

The first few words of "Ride Into The Sunset" ("Out in the...") are cut off. The uncut version appears on the "Russian Autumn Heart" CD single. -from http://home.earthlink.net/~thechurch/

that is on A QUICK SMOKE AT SPOT'S (1991) CD, on the vinyl of A QUICK SMOKE AT SPOT'S (1991) too? same cut?

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I have an original Aussie EMI pressing of the Persia EP.

Yes, it has the same instrumental that leads into No Explanation. I also have the original Sing Songs EP as well as the Arista Remote Luxury lp, but German pressing.

superb band

8. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Thanks!
    I hoped it would. I guess they must've cut it from the Sing Songs/Persia/Remote Luxury CD for time constraints. There can be no other acceptable reason, as it's such a lovely little piece of music to lead into No Explanation.

9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

A mate just gave me the remastered Seance CD. It will suffice until I can find an unremastered copy ...

--Geoff

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

the problem with Sing Songs/Persia/Remote Luxury CD is very loud, I remember same peak levels for all songs, poor dynamics.

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

which remaster? the Arista 90s? or EMI 2002?

12. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

The 2010 remaster .

--Geoff

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

14. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

not a problem with the vinyl. sounds wonderful

15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

true!

16. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I've got a minty Australian vinyl copy of Sing Songs, and I agree that it sounds great.
    Even the US Arista CD of Remote Luxury sounds much better than the Remote Luxury/Persia tracks from that SS/RM/P compilation CD.

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

The German pressing of Remote Luxury is a little bright compared to the Aust pressings of Sing Songs and Persia. Still is very listenable thou.

I would really like to compare a Euro pressing of Heyday with my Aussie pressing.

18. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

One other observation (which I made about 24 years ago, but only now have found others to share it with) is that the version of "A Different Man" on the Sing Songs EP is a bit different version that that for the promotional video for the tune. On the 'video version', the intro is longer, the bridge is longer, and I hear other mix differences. Has the 'video version' been released on any records or CDs? I had the "Conception" compilation CD many years back, and I recall that the version on there is the same as the Sing Songs version.

19. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I don't think it had ever been released.

20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

21. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

It's worth finding an error-free version of "Ride Into The Sunset" as it's a good track. Almost sounds like it could be an outtake from Kilbey's Remindlessness album.

22. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I absolutely agree.
    I meant to convey that I've always had the Russian Autumn Heart CD, and have just been surprised that subsequent releases (which contain Ride Into The Sunset) have all contained the chopped beginning. It's such a glaring error, especially when you're used to the non-chopped version. I'd guess that the original Australian vinyl/CD of the Metropolis single would have the non-chopped version, too.
    Great tune.

23. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

BTW - I just received the new "Starfish" vinyl reissue from Music On Vinyl (http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/the-church/starfish#.UyCDfvmwLYg).

The cover is nicely reproduced, though rendered slightly darker than my US Arista orignal press and not quite as sharp. Nice, thick & flat vinyl in an anti-static inner. The original inner sleeve is reproduced here as a 2-sided insert.

The vinyl is very flat and quiet, nicely pressed. Slightly lower in volume than the Arista original. It sounds pretty good, but not as wonderful as the original. Slightly less dynamic, a bit more bass, not as 3-dimensional as the original. Starfish is a pretty complex recording, with lots of layers of sound and a great mix and the original vinyl renders it in a full, deep and slightly dark glory, fully capturing the mystery and the intrigue of the music. The MOV reissue is not bad, but lacks the spaciousness of the original. Comparing it to the Australian CD reissue from 2005, it sounds remarkably similar, so probably made from the same digital source/master.

Em. and 1970 like this.
  24. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

From what I've read on forum MOV do tend to use digital masters so you could have picked it right there.

25. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Thanks for that insightful and much needed review. I'm going to repost that in the Starfish thread. I'm sure you won't mind.

AlienRendel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.