The classic line-up of The Go-Go's to reform for 3 shows at the Hollywood Bowl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Great to see! How about a new album?

Sean, RickH, MikaelaArsenault and 2 others like this.
  3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Great news! Saw the classic lineup about 10 or 11 years ago (prior to Jane's accident and before Kathy had the legal problems with them) and enjoyed the energy of their set. Based on their previous "farewell tour" announcements, this could be our last chance to see them again.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Last chance? Not a chance! Those 80's nostalgia tours still bring in big money (especially for former big, "name" acts like they were). They'll do tours off and on for the next 10 years at least.

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

What happened?

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  6. melstapler

Seems like the injury she sustained was from a fall (either from hiking or rock climbing), so they had to cancel that tour for about a year. Jane recovered quicker than most of us would and that was a big relief.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There is no "farewell" or "exclusive world/US/California/LA" billing in any of the press material. Just 40th anniversary of their formation.

MikaelaArsenault and melstapler like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Intact 5 piece acts are quite rare. Aerosmith might be the only one right now from the 70's, though that farewell tour they started went weirdly quiet. Next ones might be Def Lappard and Radiohead circa late 80's.

Sean, longdist01, TonyCzar and 3 others like this.
  9. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

You know what they say when the band memebers cant into finically trouble--> hits tour comes a knocking soon The smashing pumpkins cough cough

tedg65, Sean, ribonucleic and 2 others like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Hope the LA Philharmonic are the opening act and are not there to provide a lush sonic setting for We Got The Beat

11. melstapler

KISS and Ozzy are the artists I instantly think of who perfected the art of the farewell tour concept. It's usually nice when they change their minds. :D

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Being a pessimist and skeptic at heart, that was my general opinion about seeing any musical acts from my musical past...
    ...however, what if this injury was career-ending?
    Thankfully it wasn’t.

The past few years of seemingly increasing unexpected deaths of our favourite musicians is a warning sign.

In addition, as the years rapidly pass by, physical dexterity, vocal skills, and musical expertise usually diminish.

ajsmith, longdist01 and melstapler like this.
  13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Just noticed the classic 5 member line-up of The Go-Go's will also be doing a show at the Fox Theater in Oakland, CA....

The Go-Go’s | Fox Theater

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There will be an announcement tonight about a reformed Utopia.

15. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Good news but I must admit I'm very surprised given how acrimonious the split with Kathy Valentine was. They went to a lot of expense to force her out of the band when they did, since she was a full member of the band and they had to pay her off (not to mention the attorney/legal fees).

davers, Galley, melstapler and 4 others like this.
  16. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Indeed, while I agree some act called the Go-Gos will continue to perform Go-Gos songs, the "all original members" stuff is a lot more fragile.

17. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I wonder what the resolution was to the suit between Valentine and the other four? I never thought they'd be in the same room together after that, though I guess if Roger Waters can make up with Pink Floyd, anything is possible.

tedg65, Sean, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They did say in so many words that the farewell tour was a last TOUR, not the last gigs, and that they would probably do a special occasion or two. This seems to be that.

The Bangles also reunited their (true original) lineup at home but alas, didn't tour.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Like BIG 80's so cool!! :cheers:

20. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

If I could make a wish...and have it come true...I'd love for the ladies to play a lot of deep cuts off of Talk Show.

You know, rockin' rowdy tracks like "Capture the Light," "You Thought" and "I'm the Only One." :righton:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Oatsdad, MikaelaArsenault and Spazaru like this.
  21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Fo' real?

22. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

When I saw them in 1999, they played a lot of deep cuts but not those. I love that album. I think it's my favorite of theirs. Yes or No is awesome too, and of course Mercenary which they did used to play live a lot.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

They probably ran out of other ways to create buzz, so they broke down and asked her back. I hope she's getting paid well.

longdist01 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'll be able to say more after 7:30 PM CST.

25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.