Maybe a good idea to have an unmatched pair of speakers as a set; one compensates for the other?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ALAN SICHERMAN, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY Thread Starter

I was looking online at speakers and I thought of a review I had read that
    compared two different pairs of speakers. One was described as brighter and the other was referred to as softer (oversimplified). And then I thought, maybe it would be a good idea to have an unmatched pair of speakers as a set, one compensates for what the other doesn't have. Any thoughts?

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

That would be counter to what most speaker designer work toward, in that many take pains to build speakers with matched drivers L/R. The idea being that there is an attempt to create two symmetrical driver arrays capable of delivering sound to a listening position with matching timing and phase.

What you do find, particularly in vintage speakers, is people who stack different speakers vertically—each stack being the same.

3. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Lots actually.

I've thought about it too. Just add an extra pair of speakers that does what the other pair doesn't. Some folks don't have a system to accommodate a 4 speaker setup. OK, so have a switching system that goes between one pair or the other according to what music you are listening to. And or you could just add a sub to the pair. But wait, you could just add an equalizer and tweak it all a bit. Oh, but that's adding more links in the chain of sound which is what we don't want. At least some of us don't want that. Some don't mind that at all.....as long as we get to where we are going.

What's the easy answer?

What's the best solution?

It's all an individual thing IMO. Good luck in finding your yin and yang in this crazy hobby of ours.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

With guitars, people mix & match drivers in 4x12 cabs all the time but there is a method to it. Both sets need to not cancel each other's frequencies out, they need to compliment each other and sound pleasant together. Typically, that means speakers which have roughly the same measurements, especially in the sensitivity aspect.

Although it might theoretically work with full range loudspeakers, there would be an infinitely bigger amount of factors which would impede and possibly prevent a great-sounding result so I wouldn't waste any time experimenting as it'd be a rabbit hole through which I'd never jump in.

5. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

It's an interesting thought. If you mean right and left speakers would be different, it will mess with the imaging. If you mean having two pair of speakers to suit various recordings, that's surely one way to do it! But why stop at two?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.