The Complete Remastered Recordings on Black Saint & Soul Note

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mw1917, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I came across this on jazzloft.com:

[​IMG]

It appears they're doing it for other artists (Cecil Taylor, Lester Bowie, Paul Motian, George Russell) as well. Has anyone heard these? I might be tempted to spring for the Dixon set if the awful overuse of noise reduction on the In Italy discs is fixed.

2. mw1917

(sorry, just to clarify: it's a 9-CD set of all of Dixon's Soul Note recordings, remastered)

3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Lots of discussion of these boxes at the Organissimo forum if you go there. Sorry, but I can't comment since I haven't bought any of them. As I understand it they can be had for less $ than at jazz loft, so shop around for the best price.

4. mw1917

Cool, thanks for the tip.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Here's the big thread on these boxes at the Organissimo jazz forum.

They're listed at this site.

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I've never heard a Black Saint or Soul Note CD (and I have a whole lot of 'em) that I ever thought needed remastering. They're one of those labels that got it right the first time around. I think it's great that these are back in print at buyer-friendly prices, but I suspect those us us who already own the originals are gonna need some convincing to buy them again.

7. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Thank you for the organissimo link, J.A.W. as these sets look like an economical way to explore some albums I don't already have.

I purchased the Cecil Taylor, Henry Threadgill, and Bill Dixon sets through amazon.co.uk and liked the price better than the cam jazz link...

8. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

9. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Thanks for the notice on the Murray set :thumbsup:

I don't have original CD editions for comparison, but whenever I've played any of the albums from the Taylor, Dixon, or Threadgill sets, I don't notice any objectionable mastering sins (i.e. loudness, exaggerated highs, etc.). I'm happy with all three sets and plan on buying the Murray set now...

10. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Braxton on Black Saint is fantastic. I have a few of the single discs, and if I could afford it, I would go for the whole box.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Six new box sets due this fall from Black Saint/Soul Note.

Sun Ra, Gianluig Trovesi, Jimmy Lyons, Ed Blackwell, Chico Hamilton, Steve Lacey (Vol. 2). Available for pre-order from amazon.fr

Campbell Saddler and mw1917 like this.
  12. mw1917

Great news! I was hoping they'd do a Jimmy Lyons set.

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Unfortunately , the second Murray set released in 2013 is highly compressed, with most CDs having DR values of 8 and 9 while the original CDs have 12 or higher

http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Murray-Complete-Remastered-Recordings/dp/B00DQF1X3O

But it's the only poorly mastered set in this series I've encountered so far.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.