The Cowsills

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Jun 29, 2016.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Have been searching about, and there seems to be no dedicated Cowsills thread, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm heavily, heavily into them right now; have been looking for the recent-ish documentary A Family Band to watch to fill in my knowledge, but first heard them via the film Dumb & Dumber (of all things), which features 'The Rain The Park & Other Things' very amusingly, but didn't really explore them for another decade or so, until the Painting The Day compilation came out, at which point I heard the IIxII album, and realised that they matched The Association in terms of unheralded high-quality pop-psych and country-rock. I haven't much ventured into their first couple of albums for fear of running into something like 'Siamese Cat' ten times in a row, but the later stuff is a regular feature on my turntable, especially the On My Side album, and the last singles from the original run with Bill returning - I've added 'You (In My Mind)' to the running order of On My Side to get a contribution from Bill in there, which adds to it immensely.

Obviously their story (or what I know of it) is horrible and tragic, especially Bill & Barry, and Bud Cowsill makes Murry Wilson look like a contender for Father Of The Year. But the music is just incredible.

And, I just learnt that Bill was slated to join The Beach Boys in the mid-70s (maybe as a replacement for Blondie?), but Eugene Landy nixed this. Ironic then that John Cowsill has been their drummer and keyboard player for the last few years.

2. PretzelLogic

Interesting clip of Bill Cowsill going over the early history of the band:

3. PretzelLogic

The excellent Bridey Murphy single. Band consisted of Waddy Wachtel, Bill, Barry and Paul Cowsill and (briefly) Lindsay Buckingham.

4. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Hey that was good - not heard it before. Reminds me a bit of Nazz. Thanks for posting.

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Pick up the 'Now Sounds' CD issue of 'On My Side' (as they add this as a bonus track).

[​IMG]

Darryl

lp_zep, spammythepig, art and 5 others like this.
  6. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

DO track down that Family Band dvd.......it's both happy and unbelievably sad and poignant....and lotsa great music on it, lets not forget!!

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

"Indian Lake" is to me one of the finest pop records ever recorded. I just love that song, and it rocks!

8. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

John Cowsill on The Beach Boys 50th tour was simply amazing. Kept everything just right for the songs but with some great new energy.

I had no idea who he was, but he's one of the best drummers I've ever seen live.

9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

When I was a little kid I thought they were really cool. Still play 'em once in a while and they bring back good memories.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  10. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

We recently saw The Cowsills in Atlanta as part of the Happy Together tour. They sang The Rain, The Park & Other Things, We Can Fly, Indian Lake, Love American Style and Hair. Yes, they stole the show.

[​IMG]

Chazzbo13, Drifter, The MEZ and 14 others like this.
  11. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Here are the Cowsills performing the song live from 2012

12. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

also track down their cd Global from 1998.....excellent disc, and their song Is It Any Wonder (also released on Yellow Pills: The Best of American Pop, Volume 1, a great compilation from 1993) and it's one of THE BEST pop/power pop songs EVER, imho!!!

13. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Twangy beat me to it. Yes Global is excellent!

Crimson Witch and starduster like this.
  14. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

He was a phenomenal addition to that tour. He channeled some thunderous Denny sounds while being a better technical player. I was almost as happy seeing him playing drums as I was tickled to see all those old guys playing together for what I am pretty sure was the last time.

15. I'd have a hard time thinking of any album as consistently excellent as Global that got so little attention. My favorite track is "What I Believe" but the entire album is awesome.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This was the Cowsills track on Susan's last solo album. Written by Barry and featuring all the surviving members. It's ridiculously good.

17. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

The On My Side album shown above is great-- I was wowed by it on first listen. Very much in line with the Millennium and stuff like that. It took me a long time to get around to hearing it since I had some preconceived notions about the Cowsills being cheesy family entertainment, but they were seriously as good as anybody in the soft pop/psych genre.

btltez and starduster like this.
  18. PretzelLogic

What makes them so appealing is that all of them are great vocalists too- once they got past the awkward child-to-adolescent phase, each of them kicked major behind on lead. There's a clip of them post-Bill playing at the Playboy Mansion which is all sorts of creepy, but Barry really nails IIxII live. A real revelation .

Lee Davis likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There are a million great clips out there of Susan doing covers. This may be the best:

20. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Speaking of the Atlanta show, here is their performance of Hair that night. Including the censored verse. Their vocals still sound great.

21. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Hey that's my video! That was a fun night!

Michael Bean, albabe, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  22. varispeed

varispeed what if?

hahaha.... that reminds me of Bill's take on it-

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The song writer has a track record more impressive then Bill's.

24. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Check out Susan's cover of Lucinda Williams Drunken Angel. Just killer.

25. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

My favorite Cowsills' song: