The Cowsills

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Jun 29, 2016.

1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I’m tempted to sell my body for a few evenings (either to science or lonely widows) to raise the funds get a shot at being able to actually play on the album…

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'll buy that new album, but the one that I really want is that "accapella" disc, but $65 dollars for it ..., seriously guys???

3. But the $65 gets you the acapella CD AND the new album CD and the digital download. Admittedly, still on the steep side but it's not just the acapella CD.

Best Wishes David

btltez likes this.
  4. Thank you for the Heads-Up on this. Much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
    David

btltez likes this.
  5. Can only agree with you on this. Everyone I play the album to is blown away by how good it is.

Best Wishes,
    David

6. Chris C

David, thanks for letting me know that, I thought that was only for the acapella CD, although I have no real use for the digital download. I'm old school, so don't hate me!

7. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this — not sure what level I’ll pledge yet, but I am very happy that an album is in the works! I’ll pledge something tonight.

8. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I chose the LP, signed CD, and a capella hits CD bundle; I consider the T-shirt and download as bonuses. So far, today, they made it to 10% of their goal. Best wishes to The Cowsills in getting this album out.

Now, that's commitment!

9. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

That's the package I sprung for. Would this be a good time for a re-release of "Global" and/or a physical release of "Cocaine Drain" (warts and all)
    ? All the work is done on those albums already and it would make a nice bundle.

10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I would LOVE to see a proper re-release of Global. I bought a "lossless" digital copy from their store... and it turned out to be from a lossy source. Still sounds reasonably OK, but it deserves better treatment.

maclen likes this.
  11. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

If they'll sell 'em, I'll buy 'em.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I say let 'em get on with the new record first. It's now been longer since Global than it was between that and the last original album, so they're well overdue.

btltez and starduster like this.
  13. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Rough mix of a cappella “The Rain, The Park, And Other Things” now available for listening. A cappella CD now available separately for $20.

btltez likes this.
  14. Tom Daly

Tom Daly Forum Resident

The 3 Philips singles that were on the LP The Cowsills Plus the Lincoln Park Zoo has the then-four boys (Bill, Bob, Barry & John) playing their own instruments. The MGM albums used studio musicians and the family merely provided the vocals until the release of The Cowsills in Concert. "Hair" was the first single on which the family played their own instruments, as they did on subsequent MGM releases and the London LP, On My Side. A little known fact is that when MGM records moved from NYC to California and Mike Curb was hired to run the label, he had his own agenda since he managed another family act. The Cowsills were dropped by MGM Records in spite of their record sales in favor of Curb's clients The Osmonds, which resulted in the move to London Records (the first American act to appear on that label) for On My Side, the last Cowsills album to have been released by a major label. If you're compiling your own Cowsills compilation, don't forget to include the JoDa single, "All I Wanna Be is Me."

jeremylr likes this.
  15. Tom Daly

Tom Daly Forum Resident

A "restored" copy of "Cocaine Drain" now exists and will probably surface soon.

16. Chris C

After some careful thinking and wanting to be a little more generous to a group who have provided me so many great musical memories, I decided to go this same route. I ordered a medium t-shirt for my wife, since the XXL would probably fit me a little snug, if I go by the usual band t-shirts sizes? Not that I was really crazy about walking around wearing a Cowsills t-shirt, despite my love of their music.

17. jasn

jasn Forum Resident

For all my personal attention to building a library of past greats I have a giant hole for The Cowsills, other their two big hits included in some compilations. I'm looking forward to exploring them in greater details, so thanks.

That said...searching this thread I see only one reference to The Blue Shadows, a truly excellent band that was started by Billy Cowsill in the early 90's. This I do own and enjoy. Well worth checking out.

[​IMG]

DavidD, adriatikfan, Isamet and 2 others like this.
  18. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

after skimming this thread, i pulled up the album: On My Side... listened to the first few tracks, pretty good stuff, never knew about it

pcain, starduster and MisterPleasant like this.
  19. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

This has piqued my interest. What’s the story here?

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Note that there was also a second Blue Shadows album, Lucky to Me, and to my mind it's even better-- A bit more on the Rockpile side of things.

jojo getback and jasn like this.
  21. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

I found this the other day on a Canadian website at a very good price. Wish I could say the same for the other Cowsill related OOP albums.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Is "All I Really Wanna Be is Me" available on CD anywhere (even if a various artists garage compilation)?

From attempts looking at Amazon, it's not included on any Cowsills compilation albums.

Thanks

Lightworker likes this.
  23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sadly no. It may be on one of those Cowchip CD's, but those are bootlegs.

LandHorses and Fox67 like this.
  24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I'm not certain about this, but I believe ZZ Top's debut album came out a couple of months before "On My Side."

25. Tom M

Tom M Forum Resident

Yeah Jan. 1971 for ZZ Top. I think they went by the signing date for that statement, sometime in 1970.