The crap that Beats Audio has wrought

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kwadguy, Oct 11, 2013.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

I'll just say it: Beats Audio is crap. Flabby bass, bloated midrange, annoying high end. No relationship to high end audio that I can discern. But genius marketing, and so they've become the must-have audio fashion accessory.

That's bad enough. But now, we have a seemingly endless array of new headphone nameplates, each aiming for that same market. And a willing set of shill reviewers willing to state that each of these new headphones is "a Beats killer" because they offer equally flabby bass, equally bloated midrange, and equally annoying high end for less money, and a fun color of plastic. And, relative to the price of decent headphones, these "Beats killers" are all quite overpriced.

Annoying to watch the lemmings flock to all these bad imitations of audiophile sound reproduction...
    ibis, Vidiot and Matt Starr like this.
  2. tyinkc

tyinkc Forum Resident

A big Amen to that!
  3. rodentdog

rodentdog Well-Known Member

At least they are closed cans. To each their own. Although I agree, it is a little annoying...
  4. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Remember, that source of the music, likely a mobile device, isn't reall meant to deliver anything but the sound you describe...they are a perfect pair.
    Gordon Johnson and donluca like this.
  5. My mobile device sounds fine. Stock iPod, mostly Apple Lossless, but the mp3's don't sound bad either.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

I see a lot of Chryslers have Beats audio systems now.
  7. action pact

action pact Forum Resident

Whatever. I still have my Grados.
    mrdiscman likes this.
  8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez Forum Resident

The unwashed masses can buy what they want. I'll stick with my Shure IEMs (until the day I can afford a pair of custom JH 16s).
    timind likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Forum Resident

I don't understand the issue. No one has to buy them. I say kudos to them for making a market where there was almost none before. Eventually those who buy them will see the error and upgrade, this will help the companies that many on this site endorse in the long run. After all, this is the mp3/compressed music market.
  10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Resident

Have have to credit their fans with having THE BEST photoshop skillz.
  11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston Forum Resident

I just flew from Houston to Denver and listened the whole way to Amazon Autorips from my Samsung s4 through $100 Thinksound earbuds. I have to say I was impressed buy all phases. The phone, the lossy files and the buds. Dylan's Another Self Portrait is sublime.

Cheap doesn't have to be crappy and expensive ain't always hi-fi.
    Gordon Johnson and WiredChuck like this.
  12. chargrove

chargrove Forum Ghost Hunter

No they are not. They "leak" a ton of sound.
  13. Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha Forum Resident

Let the market decide.
  14. noname74

noname74 slimline 2cd jewel cases are dead to me.

They have...and Beats Audio won. Audiophiles lost....which is probably as it should be since 99% of the world are not audiophiles.
  15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Forum Resident

Beats is no different than Bose: Marketing over quality.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Forum Resident

If you can't say something nice about Beats headphones, Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine will send somebody over to smack you into next week.

But seriously, folks, I tend to side with the dudes who don't like the somewhat sneering self-complacency of this thread. This beatdown attitude might not be such a drawback if the thread wasn't such a dreary re-tread of places we've already been in several other generally more good-natured recent threads:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/why-do-people-buy-dr-dre-beats.312205/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/question-about-beats-solo-headphones.326854/
  17. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Excellent use of the word "wrought" in the thread title.

In other news, I listen through Sennheisers when mobile. I bought my wife some great sounding AKG phones. She swapped em for some Beats style ones.

Because they look cooler.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Well-Known Member

They even make the Beatles sound questionable.

Now we've covered the Forum's three favorite topics - Beats bashing, Bose bashing, and a Beatles reference.
    eddiel and Vidiot like this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

why would it matter if you can still buy your favorite pair? let the "Beats" lovers enjoy them like you do yours. I see no problem.
    MYKE likes this.
  20. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Forum Resident

The do have a nice look. Fun colors, etc.
    Metralla likes this.
  21. Bart1

Bart1 Member

22. It's a problem because it means someone out there on the internet or in real life is wrong. :eek:
    They're WRONG. Someone's WRONG. This is SERIOUS! Serious BUSINESS.

It's all OK with me. I don't need to save the world from Beats.

Beats does seem to be moving towards better audio quality in their headphones. I don't know how far they'll go towards better. But it seems to be moving in a positive direction from where they were. I don't see them ever doing audiophile quality. I could see them doing better consumer quality audio.

When I see someone with Beats I have a mental image of them standing behind an elephant that has diarrhea delivering them a big load of loose flatulent bass and it's their job to catch it in a bucket. Which makes me smile. The person wearing the Beats sees me smile and they may feel good about the recognition. And that all makes the world a slightly better place. Everyone gets to feel good.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I respect your opinion, but it just doesn't bother me...now if Beats was the only headphones available with no others choices I'd climb aboard you boat!
  24. All Rights

All Rights Well-Known Member

I think for many, the audio quality is secondary to appearance of not only Beats, but other brands like Sol Republic and Urbanears. I see people in the subway with headphones that match their sneakers and clothing and phone covers. sol1.jpg Cheap-Urbanears2.jpg
  25. head_unit

head_unit Well-Known Member

Let me put it more succinctly:
    I'm right.
    All others are...not
    :ignore: