The Creation - Action Painting [New 2CD set]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Oh ok that explains it. I kept wondering when you mentioned plastic as I've seen eco packaging and there's usually none of it since it isn't biodegradable. Haha that's funny now at least we know.

Mark

2. Mark Wilson

Where has this band been all my life!!?? Have meant to pick up some of their stuff but never got around to it.

So glad this came out and prompted me. Some really great songs. Just wish they'd released more. This will be something I play fairly often.

Mark

beccabear67 likes this.
  3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

A lot of people ranked The Creation with The Who back then (and do today). They did have a lot of lineup changes which The Who (barely) managed to avoid, though the Fleur De Lys may hold the record in the '60s and still having great records. I think the Mark Four stuff just before the name change to The Creation (and one member change) is equally excellent.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Any info on the recording date of How Does It Feel To Feel?
    Thanks

5. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

For me, the lack of the lead guitar on the new stereo remix of "Painter Man" is just... really disappointing. The perfectly good stereo mix on the Retroactive's The Complete Collection Volume 2: Biff Bang Pow! includes them, making that disc a must-keep for me. (This same original(?) stereo mix appears on Rhino's The British Invasion: The History of British Rock Vol.4).

Jimmy B., Mr Sam and patient_ot like this.
  6. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

For me, this is a great opportunity to own a great selection of songs from a great band that never quite made it to the big leagues, but certainly has the goods. In mono, and stereo. And, hey, I love Numero Group, so what's not to like? NOTHING!

SteveFff and Mark Wilson like this.
  7. Mark Wilson

I got this when it came out and love it.

Mark

bhasenstab and SteveFff like this.
  8. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Anyone know what dynamic range is like on this set?

9. grenard

grenard Forum Resident

Both CDs average DR7

10. b.smith

b.smith Forum Resident

Still sounds good to these ears.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I agree I wouldn’t be put off by those numbers and I think it fits the music well, or the music perhaps has a role in the numbers as well. Yeah it is a tad loud relative to other things we like, but I think the better transfer of things far outweighs that cost, and when factoring in a few of the earlier CDs I tried I can see the music kind of benefits from it pretty well. I did get a chance to check out the Theory box and while it seems to mostly use the same mastering, Theory seemed to be presented slightly less full range or less up to peak limits. I am not versed enough in these technical matters but it was slightly noticeable to me.

I can see why they put that version of If I Stay Too Long on there as it is wonderful, however I did find the need to keep an old CD for the single version; I should add I probably would not have ever known there was a difference except for reading these latest box sets threads as I am no The Creation expert mostly knowing one song from a certain movie, but should anyone not know this band I can tell you I am now a huge fan as the music is must try stuff top to bottom indeed.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Mark Wilson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.