The Critters - Mr. Diengly Sad (Appreciation)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Written by Don Ciccone and released by The Critters in the summer of 1966, 'Mr. Diengly Sad' would climb to #17 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart and #14 on Cashbox.

From the subtle lead vocal to it's beautiful harmonies this song is another lovely slice of 60's pop music.

Any love for this tune SHF?

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Loved the Critters. Don and Jimmy Ryan were both playing with my old friend Lee Shapiro with his band the HitMen. Sadly Don passed away a year or so ago, but Jimmy is still doing well and still playing with Lee.

Chris C, rednedtugent and SITKOL'76 like this.
  3. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Fantastic song ! It always made me sad that the original lineup of this group was here and gone so quickly.
    I have all their original 45s including this one and the original Kapp album.
    Their later albums were good with some interesting material ( have ' em on CD ) but that original lineup had the magic dust sprinkled on 'em.

Chris C and SITKOL'76 like this.
  4. SITKOL'76

Just found out that he passed when I looked the song up on Wiki and clicked his name. He also worked with The Four Seasons and Tommy James & The Shondells. R.I.P.

5. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

"Don't let the rain fall down on me" was a great song too...

SteelyNJ and SITKOL'76 like this.
  6. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Was just playing my copy of the YOUNGER GIRL reissue CD in the car this weekend. I have a deep appetite for light dim-sunshiney 60s soft pop-rock, and The Critters are, well, they do that! They aren't my faves in that vein by any means but worth a deep dive for anyone into the softer side of the 60s NUGGETSish mode.

ajsmith and SITKOL'76 like this.
  7. Riverside Dave

Riverside Dave Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorite songs. Lovely spare instrumental arrangement and, of course, great harmony vocals. I was 13 in '66, and recall riding with my older brother and his girlfriend (later his wife) in my parents' Pontiac convertible listening to the Critters singing about a girl who could "smile away each little care." It took me a long time to find one for myself, but she loved the song, too. Thanks for the thread.

Rickchick, ajsmith and SITKOL'76 like this.
  8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

There's a lovely bit of video on YouTube of the band lipsyncing this in an outdoor setting on one of the 60s pop shows.

9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, Lee's band, The Hitmen, had three of the 70s Four Seasons if you consider Gerry Polci though he retired last year. Lee also played with Tommy, I think as a result of Don being there.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  10. SITKOL'76

I've seen it. I believe they're at the beach and there are some dancers that make their way over to them and begin to groove.

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Great stuff. I still keep an eye out for a mono vinyl version of the Younger Girl album. Certainly, I'd like to find the Project 3 album in the wild. "Mr. Dieingly Sad" is the one that first ever caught my ear.

Rickchick and SITKOL'76 like this.
  12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a good article on them in either Shindig or Ugly Things a few years back.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I knew Don...he was a great guy. MDS was one of my all time favorite songs from 1966...love the band since I was a youngster.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

In fact he sang lead on "Oh What a Night".

15. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I always thought it was influenced by this, which had been a hit a few months earlier:

16. Don Persuado

Don Persuado Forum Resident

GREAT Call! Thanx for reminding me of another long-lost gem...

17. Michael

geez, yea and I also hear a little Beach Boys in there...wow.

18. SITKOL'76

Thank you for posting this gem :love:

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My old Orange Label Kapp Winners Circle Series 45 (ex-radio station, well used, but not abused) I have played many, many times. Flip side is "Younger Girl" and my copy is vinyl. Two of my favorite Critters tracks, I love both as much or even more so today.

Rickchick, Chris C and SITKOL'76 like this.
  20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Jes' like Ellie Mae Clampett I loves me some Critters! I like the Project 3 label stuff too! Also New Colony Six, Buckinghams, Rationals etc. etc.

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Wonderful and pure 1966. Thanks for the reminder!

Rickchick and SITKOL'76 like this.
  22. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

Count me in. Whenever I make my mix CDs of 60s music, this is always on it. I still have my original Kapp 45.
    A month later, another one of my favorite 60s tracks debuted on the Hot 100 - "Walk Away Renee" by the Left Banke.
    Two amazing memories from the summer/fall of 1966...

ajsmith, SITKOL'76 and SteelyNJ like this.
  23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Here is Don Ciccone's 1991 cover of his song, that he recorded exclusively for the Japanese market and was released on CD via Polydor. It is not nearly as good as the original, but still interesting to hear!

SITKOL'76 likes this.
  24. Michael

cool thanks...

Chris C likes this.
  25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

And while I'm at it, I might as well add this great later cover of "Younger Girl", with Don Ciccone once again on lead vocals. Again not as great as the original, but I still find this a really GOOD updated cover of an already great song ...

SITKOL'76 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.