The Cure featuring James McCartney - "Hello Goodbye"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

What did you think of The Cure's cover of The Beatles' "Hello Goodbye," which also features Sir Paul's son, James McCartney, which they did for the tribute album The Art of McCartney?

Being reminded of Siouxsie & The Banshees' 1983 cover version of another Beatles song, "Dear Prudence" (featuring Robert on guitar, of course), I now wonder if Robert could have tackled "Hello Goodbye" with Banshees bassist Steve Severin (when both were also members of The Glove), with The Venomettes on strings?

And not only that, "Mad Bob" also covered a Wings song, "C Moon," which can be found on the limited bonus disc.

~Ben

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Somehow I can picture Andy Warhol dancing to this.

3. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think it sounds pretty good until the Maori ending bit which sounds weak to me.

It's cool the Cure is doing it but it's a no win situation with me when it comes to Beatles cover versions .

If anyone essentially plays a Beatles song like the record I always feel like what's the point?
    Yet, if a cover version deviates much from the original I usually think.. it pales compared to the original so ...what's the point ? :D

4. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I liked The Cure's version of 'I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day' that they closed with on the Caterpillar tour in '84. IIRC.

5. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I get that point very well and in many cases it is very true (not just with Beatles tunes), but in instances like this one where its just done quickly and for fun, a song they obviously like, then it's okay by me and an enjoyable listen.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I liked it.

I was just going off on a tangent just blabbering about Beatles cover versions in general.:D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    DesertChaos likes this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Easily one of the best things from that album. I like it a lot.

Also, watching that video I was reminded that Simon Gallup doesn't seem to age.

adad, andrewskyDE and DesertChaos like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Sounds amazing! I don't have that tribute album (yet). Shame! Should add it on my wishlist.^^

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Some probably think it's an odd combination but The Cure were quite the poppy band.

The Siouxsie & The Banshees cover of Dear Prudence is great too and was their biggest hit. And they covered Helter Skelter as well

George P and andrewskyDE like this.
  10. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

100 times better than the original.

strifeknot likes this.
  12. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

`Mad Bob` looking well these days.......for someone who has been sleeping rough for 6 months that is. :laugh:
    I really like the `C-Moon` track, especially at the end where it gets really inventive.
    To say they are just messing about, both tracks are good.
    Hope that Bob can resist the over use of that strange swooping/whooping vocal that is becoming irritating, when he (eventually) gets around to doing the next album.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Very "Wizard".
    It move d me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.