The Cure on CD...Remasters or originals?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drexler_McStyles, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I enjoy the remasters. I hope Wish comes out soon

2. contium

contium Forum Resident

Huge Cure fan. I have all the original release of all the albums on CD and vinyl and the remasters. I bought the remasters mainly for the additional material. I much prefer the originals, vinyl first and then the CD with the exception of Disintegration CD is better as the vinyl sucks (too long for 1 LP). The remasters lost some of the brooding moodiness vibe. The originals were mixed to be played loud and even stated as much. They sound great when cranked. I can't listen to the remasters at higher levels. My system must sound very different from others because the 1987 Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me and 1989 Disintegration sound great LOUD!!!

Front 242 Addict and ultron9 like this.
  3. contium

contium Forum Resident

And it should be noted that most music of this genre in that era sounded this way. It was what they were going for. The Cure, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees etc all had that distant, darker sound.

Front 242 Addict and ultron9 like this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

True that.

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

100% on the money

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

My "primary" reason for getting the remasters was the extras as well. And, like you, I prefer the originals, though not always the vinyl.

Did you pick up the 2LP "Disintegration"? I liked it.

7. contium

contium Forum Resident

Not yet. It is on my short list. Have heard some positive reviews of it and its good to hear another.

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I picked up 'The Head on the Door' remaster for 5 bucks and it sounds good. I have nothing to compare it to though.

full moon likes this.
  9. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I can listen to any of the Cure masterings--I have a mix of UK and Euro lps, Euro issue cds, US cd and vinyl, and Deluxe Editions (also through BMG), most titles in three versions or at least two. Of course I'm less picky than I used to be.

The original cds do have more space and atmosphere, than the remasters and they have less bass. That's not worse bass mind you, just less. I can see people preferring either. I hate when that air gets squeezed out, so its originals for me.

10. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Has anyone heard the Happily Ever After CD? I've often wondered about the mastering of that. (I think the vinyl sounds great, although I never bothered to a/b either of the records with the original UK pressings, or with any of the CDs, for that matter).

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

try to indetify the cure japan 1st pressings, somebody know the complete list???? Im confused with the VAP's and P33P's and POCP's any help? different master? and are the same than UK polydor or germans? PLEASE! more info about japans!

12. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

The originals, no doubt to me.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes, but which ones?

Im curious about japans and germans...

and yes I dont like remasters, poor dynamic range etc...

14. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

I'd go with the Germans, they're good enough. Buy "Kiss Me...." and listen to it, if you're satisfied with it (which I certainly am) stick with that and go for the rest, I'd say. They are all fine transfers, well made - no need to go for expensive Japan ones here, I think. But you could get your favourite on both and compare in a relaxed way ( I never do A/B comparing), I wouldn't, though - but that's me.
    Ps. My general experience is that later pressings sounds better then the first ones. For example, the first press of The Top, sounded thinner then a later reissue I heard after. I generally try to get the latest pressings when it comes to original CD's (those released just before remasters replaced them). The difference can many times be quite big, actually.
    Good luck!

15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

but what you mean with "later pressings" ????
    http://thecurerecords.com/ click kiss me by example, is a desmess a lot!!!! germans, etc... all germans are the same master? I know that exist 10 or around pressings by country, germany, france, usa, but I just want find the best sound of course, you got my point?

I like try the japans, because all are in serie 1 2 3 4 etc... and are almost all album but I want know if have the same master than germans etc... if have the great sound, maybe I buy one for compare with germans, and what the "green" picture disc japans?

[​IMG]

16. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

By later pressing, I mean a reissues of a CD. It was just a general note. I bought CD's when they first came out and later found that reissues, pressed later on, sounded better then first pressings, generally speaking. The very first editions was pressed in the same factories, there where only two or there of them in the entire world the first year or two, of which one was in (West) Germany. As you say, later on, the same titles were being pressed in many factories and counties as the CD media grew and grew. In France, Holland, Italy, etc. etc. (I'm talking Europe here). An example of the above is Supertamp's original CD's.
    In the case of The Cure, given the above, I would get as new pressings as I could, made just prior to the remasters replaced them. As far as I can see, it would be this one, as it says "Universal" on the sticker (Universal took over just a few years ago):
    http://thecurerecords.com/record.aspx?id=3858
    The first European press would most likely be one of those made in west Germany that does not say "PDO" as, as far as I remember, they were pressed in-between the first press and the above Universal. Personally, I think the same matrix is used an all of them. Some might correct me if I'm wrong. Regarding the above Japan press, I have to little knowledge to have an opinion, I'm afraid - but on a general note I think that the higher quality of Japan pressings are somewhat of a myth and exaggerated. I might be wrong about something, in that case I stand corrected. Hope those general notes will help you in this jungle, maybe just a bit. This is not easy, one have to test and learn on the way if one is very picky about certain bands.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks, one particular thing catch my attention on your response, maybe Im wrong but here it is:

why you can say that a reissue sounds better? if maybe for be a reissue is possible that is THE SAME thing just on o new CD, same peak levels, same dynamic range, same lenght of the album, same waveform etc... is the same case for the japan, if some people say "yes japans are better" they base their comments in???? just your ears? they not compare check peak levels, dynamic, waveform etc... with the germans or europe versions that they talk that inferior? maybe are the same thing... and just they think that are better just for be make on japan or for are more expensive, so I think many people talk like that and is wrong, let put an example:

this week I compare 2 CDs: Iron Maiden Number of the Beast:

1. Japan Black Triangle
    2. 1st UK EMI press

when I compare, I check everything, peak levels, dynamic range, waveforms etc... and are exactly the same!!!! soooo how can people can say "yeah yeah the japan sounds better" or "the UK sounds better"

other example (I NOT TEST YET) but Im curious about the MFSL ultradisc made in japan vs ultradisc II made in USA... I dont know yet if are different but I hear people saying that ultradisc made in japan are better, so again they just based their comments just on his ears? and maybe is the same!!!! thing just put on different CDs.

I think you got my point, so I would love have a german cure pressings and compare with japans etc.. Usa, but well I dont have any for that reason I write here, for save my money but Im so curious about japans, maybe I buy one soon.

18. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

It's purely based upon one's own ears. The WAV form and everything are exactly the same. What differs is the pressing procedure and techniques, and other such things. In other parts of the world, like in Japan and the US, other master tapes are sometimes used and a different master could have been made for pressing the CD, it depends on what market it is aimed at. Again, generally, I prefer when a CD is made in the country of the bands origin, as the original master tapes most often are stored there. But this is just regarding, so to speak "regular" CD's, not the ones stated "from original master tapes" which most often are made in the same country with the exact same matrix even if different factories are being used. Saying this, I quite often DO find differences in the sound depending on where it's pressed, all tough everything is the same, as you stated in your post.
    European sound is warmer to my ears, US sound a bit harsher, and Japan sound a bit brighter. But that is very generally speaking and only to my ears.
    Based on all this put together I DO recommend you to get the German ones which does not add "by PDO". The latter sounds thinner, to my experiences (a mystery, but even so).
    IF some titles are pressed in UK (I don't think so, but you know that better) I'd prefer those titles made there, before the German companion. To see that, you often have to look at the actual CD, not only the cover, as the covers often are pressed in one place, but the CD can be pressed somewhere else.
    By doing as I suggest above, I'd say you get the best sounding!
    Note that you will get used to whatever these small differences does to the sound, whatever pressings you finally ends up with. The human ear is amazing and there's no black or white here, nor any perfection or absolute definitive.
    The different opinions about these things are endless, therefore it all ends up to one's own ears. No one has the "truth", especially if they claim they have. Again, I might got some parts wrong here, I can only write based upon my experiences, my knowledge and as I have understood things - correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

19. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks again, yes is interesting, and so the PDO germans are not good, I mean other germans are better?

for be more clear to my point, return to the iron maiden example, I put other example:

that 2 pressings, japan and uk are the same and EVEN!!! if I rip and burn to a simple CDR, nobody can say "oh no the CDR dont sound well, the japan is better" for me bits are bits, and are the same thing (well I know that maybe depends of the cd player, the lens can be read better some materials like gold, shm bla bla bla... but again for me is the same bits are bits...) so It would be nice if we all collect the cure peak levels, dynamic range, waveform etc... in a excel database or something for compare pressings and match which ones are the same and later find the best group of winners, but well I know that take time.

20. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

Ps. The main thing here, after all, is that you don't go for the remasters, they are insanely loud and compressed into non existing dynamics madness. If you love the bonus tracks, ok - borrow from a friend or a library and make a CDR, it's legal to copy for own use. Well, I think that's' all the input I can give you, actually. Just don't make this more difficult then needed, you want to listen to the music before you die, I reckon :p

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes I have the remasters ripped on my computer, a friend provide me for some days... I dont want those, I just have for the bonus... etc.. but I want buy the originals for that reasons I check here etc... ;) I try with a japan and compare with a german etc... thank you again

22. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

Yes, for some reason I think those made by PDO sounds thinner BUT that could very well be pure imagination.

But when I now read in your above post about where you stand regarding all this, I ABSOLUTELY would say that you just buy any European pressings you find!
    They are all the same, rest assure. All other issues regarding European pressings are minor and not audioable to 95 % of the worlds population, I dare to say.
    Edit: Yes, compare one title of a German and a Japan one, that's enough. However, regarding what I write above, I wouldn't do that, but it might be interesting - you decide.
    Now my laundry is waiting and I'll leave. Good luck! :)

Ps. Regarding the Iron Maiden in your example, I think the UK press sounds wonderful. No need at all to seek out an over-expensive Japan triangle, IMO. Those who live in Japan thinks that Europe is exiting and in Europe some feel the same about Japan. To me there's lots of myths around this. But that's just me. Be well.

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes again thats my point (maybe we start talk about out the cure, a topic more related with materings etc..) but yes maybe is just your imagination, the way to compare for me is more read all that, peak levels, dynamic range, check waveforms etc... and later for confirm listen and be sure that are the same... for that reason Im sooooo curious about mfsl ultradisc vs ultradisc II maybe people say "yeah ultradisc sounds better" just for be 1st mfsl pressings even and made in japan and bla bla ba... but well I not test yet...

and yes I try to buy any german and a japan etc... for compare

oh! the USA elektras are not good right? in this case is very know that fiction uk polydors are better?

24. erikolsson

erikolsson Member

I don't know about the Ultradisc when it comes to The Cure. I don't think it's worth the bother.
    I'd definitively prefer the UK Fiction way over the US Elektra. It could very well be that they use a copy of the original master that's been sent to the US, already when they did the vinyl, then they use that for the CD as well. Take care.

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

so ok I avoid the US Electra's and focus on UK fiction and well Im curious about japans that maybe are the same than uks...

about vinyl I dont mix the threat, but well I have all UK 1st pressings, and I dont know any more, reissues, 180g etc... things like that, I just have the 1st UK fiction pressings and MINT by the way, so maybe Im good with those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.