"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

People have been trying for almost 200 years. Every time someone gets decently deep, the hole floods & collapses.

If you've seen any of the episodes from this season, they are finally digging, and doing it right. Very expensive to do it right, which is why it hasn't been done right until now.

xdawg and painted8 like this.
  2. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

Tonight's episode was yet another disappointment. I've not lost any enthusiasm though. By all indications, the Laginas are sincere. The sheer amount of engineering is entertaining to me.

Damien DiAngelo and painted8 like this.
  3. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I like the Laginas and am rooting for them to find something incredible, but I did experience a touch of regrettable schadenfreude when [spoiler below]

the big piece of the timber they brought up from the money vault had circular saw marks on it. Oops.

xdawg likes this.
  4. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Guy 1: I found something
    Guy 2: What is it?
    Guy 1: I found a coin
    Guy 3: You found a coin?
    Guy 2: A coin?

Narrator: A coin?

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The narration does get a bit silly now & then, but the show is still interesting.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Yes but 100-some feet down? Thats impressive even if it is an old searchers shaft support system. I notice the 'big analysis' (after the timbers were pulled up) was given short thrift on the show. Instead they returned the following week with, basically, the bad news that it was not the long sought wooden vault. Although circular saw marks could indicate being older than the 20th century, the fact that they deduced the wood was from that century shows how much is going on outside the show itself. I was kinda hoping it was at least evidence from a 19th century search.

xdawg and painted8 like this.
  7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Yeah, I'm a suckered for this kind of show. I watch...criticize...hate myself for watching...then repeat.

If they had found anything of value, we would know about it already. As it is not recorded live.

xdawg and Vinyl Addict like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Followed CLOSELY by...
    Narrator: "Could it be that this coin is from the Spanish Armada. Perhaps it washed ashore from an old shipwreck. Could it be from ancient aliens...."

Lots of "Could it be"s

9. Vinyl Addict

That's what I say about all these shows. Takes the wind right out of my sales.

Chris from Chicago and xdawg like this.
  10. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I wonder if the cavity they just drilled into isn't an underground stream, or connected to underground streams that flow under the island. That may explain why they are finding bits of wood so far down. They never explore anything rational. I mean, booby trapped flood tunnels to keep people out of the money pit? I want to yell at the Lagina brothers & the assorted nephews, cousins, step-sons, etc, you dig 100+ feet down on any small island & it will flood, you're surrounded by water! Anyway, I'll tune in next week to see what happens....

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The actual location of the "Money Pit" lost long ago

xdawg and Vinyl Addict like this.
  12. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

agreed

xdawg likes this.
  13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The show is entertaining in a good-natured pseudo dramatic way

xdawg and Borgia like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

Stupid spell correct with the "sales". I used the voice to text app.

xdawg likes this.
  15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It wore on my nerves, I can't watch it anymore, the pseudo hype leading up to yet another nothing find just irritates me. No thanks.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I watched this show for up until last season. I had hopes, but soon realized it was just another stupid History channel show. I read about Oal Island years ago and it is a very fascinating story about the history of searching for a lost treasure.

But these people are never going to find a treasure because there never was one to begin with. It's the same story with all these treasure hunters, they are blinded by the riches, and don't stop to think about logic. Why would anyone bury anything so hard to retrieve?

Was of the end of last year when they had the sisters on who showed them a piece of the treasure from the original dig? The reaction of the brothers was hilarious. Almost like "oh, so that means there is no treasure to find. That's nice, we're still going to keep looking."

I'm not watching the show anymore, it's too stupid. If anyone finds anything, I'll read about it. But I doubt they will find anything not already related to the endless treasure hunting.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The endlessly repeated lead up to nothing hype narration just makes the show all the worse.

18. citizensmurf

Just like all reality TV, there is about 5 minutes of interesting content for an hour long show.

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

You'll read about it long before any viewers see it on the show.
    :agree:

20. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I only started watching this show a couple of episodes ago even though I live less than an hour's drive from Oak Island. It's interesting to watch from the perspective of seeing my home portrayed on this show. Other than that, it's seems like such a fool's pursuit. Even though I've always been interested in the history of the place, none of it makes sense. I wonder how much this show has attracted tourists to Nova Scotia. It is a beautiful place.

21. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

A couple of things:
    • I wonder how much of accepted history of Oak Island - namely the items that were supposedly found long before Dan Blankenship - is accurate. If you've read up on the Money Pit, you know about the timbers every 10 feet and the now lost stone, along with this or that. Are the Laginas relying too much on single-sourced accounts that could very well be embellishments or outright deceptions?
    • For whatever reason, everybody has operated under the assumption that whatever was hidden there - if anything - is still there. That is was never recovered by the same people or group later on.
    • If the treasure is manuscripts by Sir Francis Bacon, how does anybody expect them to have survived being (probably) underwater all this time? Were there water-tight boxes in his day (late 1500s - early 1600s)? The author who is publishing a book about Oak Island is most convinced that Bacon was involved, but nobody's talked about how paper documents could have survived a watery environment.

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I found this article: WAAF shakes things up, which provides this bit of minutia about Matty Blake:

23. Vinyl Addict

WAAF has gotten worse and worse over the years. Mike Hsu is the only one worth listening to.
    I wish Matty and Nick the best of luck though.

24. citizensmurf

The entire show is based on speculation as is very evident by 4 seasons and finding nothing.

The wild theories about what's buried there are hilarious. It could be anything because why dismiss one theory over another.

And this whole legend about "6 (or 8?) must die before the treasure is revealed". Even my 8 year old daughter said "well why don't they just kill someone and then they'll find it?" She also pointed out that no women had tried to find the treasure. I said that's because women are too smart to spend so much time and money on something so stupid.

25. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

The 7 must die legend is preposterous. Curses can be dismissed out of hand. This is 2016...

The wilder theories are simply driven by the amount of work estimated to have put into constructing the Money Pit. If the stories flood tunnels and other booby traps are accurate, it makes sense that that effort was only worth it if the item(s) hidden there were of extreme value. But that also makes me feel that it's then more likely that those item(s) would have later been recovered.