"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

That's my main problem with most shows like this one. I still watch, but they spend X amount of time on a possible answer, and then the last few minutes of the show shoots holes through everything and we're left with a bunch of questions and no real answers. I love mysteries, but I love facts more, so it frustrates me.

xdawg and Vinyl Addict like this.
  2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I wonder if the show itself makes enough money to offset some of the costs? $2million to drill out and install the caisson for one hole is fun to watch, but when will Marty & Craig run out of dough? They must be loaded.

How do you make a small fortune in the treasure hunting business?
    Start out with a large fortune.

3. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I think this show is an infomercial for the Heavy Equipment Operators of North America.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Funny! ....what actually makes it a curse is that its dismissed out of hand.

painted8 likes this.
  5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

We like the show but joke about the narration....Could it be.... a coin from the pocket.... of Jesus himself?

6. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I believe Marty & Craig are in the oil business. That's why they are loaded & seem to know quite a bit about geology.

Coricama likes this.
  7. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think I'm all caught up with this. The holy grail? The golden menorah? The original Shakespeare documents?

8. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

1. Perhaps further answers can be found in <insert random place>
    2. Describe a new mystery
    3. Raise questions
    4. Don't provide any answers
    5. Go to 1.

Pete Puma and Chris from Chicago like this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

Oh brother. Is there one treasure...any ONE treasure that isn't rumored too be buried here?

10. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Some may be interested in the Oak Island Reddit for a hysterical take on the show. Some of the memes posted their are too funny but probably not suitable for here.

xdawg likes this.
  11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It doesn't help that it's the same narrator they use on Ancient Aliens. I keep waiting for Giorgio Tsoukalos to make an appearance, or for the narrator to say, "... as ancient astronaut theorists believe".

Borgia and xdawg like this.
  12. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

13. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I wondered where these guys got their dough. I read on the www. that Rick is a retired postal worker. Marty owns a construction/engineering type firm, so he is bankrolling his brother's dream.
    Next week, though....man oh man, this could be it.

Lownote30 and xdawg like this.
  14. Damien DiAngelo

I don't even care if they find the treasure anymore. Proof that long ago people went through some serious lengths to hide something there is pretty intriguing to me.
    Which one of the old stories is true?

xdawg likes this.
  15. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I enjoy the show, but the narration and wild claims and theories are annoying in their endless repetition. Still, if one can suspend disbelief and recover a bit of one's childlike wonder while considering the possibilities, it becomes kind of like a grownup version of the film "Stand By Me". Or of course, this...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  16. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

There's no proof that anything was hidden there.

xdawg likes this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

I don't know...someone DID find a button once.

Pete Puma, xdawg and numer9 like this.
  18. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

And 1 coin. The findings have been near zero.

xdawg and Chris from Chicago like this.
  19. Damien DiAngelo

I'm not saying there is any proof.
    During the previews of next weeks show, they apparently pull up a very old looking, hand cut piece of wood from the money pit area. If this wood tests out to be from before the 1700s, then that would be proof that people long ago did a lot of digging on that island. I find that intriguing.

Of course, I know how the previews work...it's probably from an 80 year old searcher tunnel. It would be cool if it wasn't though.

xdawg likes this.
  20. Chris from Chicago

I want them to find something. I do. And maybe one day they will. But this show creates so much drama over nothing. Every episode. It's the pretend drama that I hate that makes me threaten, but never follow through to stop watching.

Borgia and xdawg like this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Well, since there were no cameras in 1790, thats all we have to go on.

xdawg likes this.
  22. stereoguy

xdawg likes this.
  23. stereoguy

I have followed the saga of Oak island since the early 1980s. I have read several books on it, and followed whatever stories have leaked out in the years since.

I believe 100% that someone buried something very, Very, VERY valuable there many years ago.

And no, "Nature" didnt put planks, clay and reeds evenly spaced and packed expertly in the shaft. That was man made, and someone had a pretty good reason for doing it, and that person had plenty of labor help , and top engineering talent there as well , which means they had a lot of money. Was it a Pirate? A King who was forced to flee his country?

However, I also believe that whoever buried it came back and got most of it out. However, they may have left one chest behind, the one that supposedly sits at the bottom of the money pit. If the hunters manage to retrieve that chest, no matter whats inside, all this work will have been worth it. It would be wonderful if, in that chest are documents the tell what WAS buried in the money pit, hundreds of years ago, even if the actual items are gone now. It would bring the entire saga full circle.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Damien DiAngelo, xdawg and 905 like this.
  24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I find it funny folks think documents would survive being underwater for ages.

zephyr25, xdawg and numer9 like this.
  25. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

The planks, reeds, etc. are legend and once again, no proof of their existence. Maybe they were there, maybe not.

xdawg likes this.