The Data Is In: You Like The Music You Heard When You Were 14

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shaddam IV, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And how can proof for such a thing get gathered?

2. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Loving music and obsessing over it are not necessarily the same thing.

Grant and troggy like this.
  3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I still like some stuff I was into at 14, but I've moved way beyond it since....

4. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

My music tastes were defined from around age 8 through 12. I carried my tranny everywhere and was profoundly influenced by AM pop. When I was 9 years old, I got my first kiss lavished upon me at the top of a stopped ferris wheel at night by an aggressive girl as Crazy Elephant's Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' was blaring far below. I nearly passed out! The song still gives me goosebumps today.

BeatlesBop and JDeanB like this.
  5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My point exactly! So, if you can't get proof, what you say cannot be a fact.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That does not sound right!:biglaugh::unhunh:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I do not dismiss the notion, but personally, think my taste imprint came closer to when I got my driver's license, 16 years old.
    The liberating freedom of driving and blasting my music in my car, some of my best memories are linked to car journeys with friends, and music.
    Whereas when 13 or 14 I was in my parents house or their car for the most part, without command of the tuning knob.
    Which may also explain my ongoing love of headphone listening, and my tinnitus...

8. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's bound to happen if you carry your tranny everywhere. ;)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This general idea of 14 (sometimes I've seen it through the teens, I think) seems reasonable to me.

In the spirit of "me" :)D) , I looked at my own top 100 list. It changes all the time, with my teenage era albums usually being the ones that are culled, but I think I was at 57% were albums up to age 21 (through 1979, in my case).

There's a top 20/can list only one album per artist thread going on right now. So I had to grab 20 from my top 100. 65% were through '79, so I regressed (!), but not a single one was from 1972 when I was 14.

From top 100? 4% are strictly from 1972 (Saint Dominic's Preview, Demons and Wizards, Thick as a Brick and Honky Chateau).

10. Joy-of-radio

HAHA!!! Tranny = transistor radio :)

11. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Seriously? My favorite music these days is by Jason Isbell, Bronze Radio Return, and Sparks/Franz Ferdinand. Those guys (except for Sparks) weren't even BORN when I was 14.

12. Joy-of-radio

Most forum members here do not relate to music as normal average people do. Most people like to hear what is familiar to them and often listen for nostalgia. I’d say that 95% of what I listen to was released between 1965 and 1972.

13. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I listen to very little of the same music I did when I was 14. I've discovered tons of music since then, most of which I would have never listened to at 14.

14. Trace

Trace Senior Member

For me, that would be 1975-1978. Yeah, seems fairly accurate.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I remember Miles said when he started doing fusion after a while he realized there were no women in the crowd. He thought something is wrong and started to change his music again.

Not sure where the idea women don't like music came from. I think the supposition of the discussion is right all people kind of get there start in youth and then it becomes secondary to life. Some people women and men music is their thing and follow it all their lives. Most people, women and men, don't. The biggest buyer of music i had heard years ago was young women. The bobby soxers following Sinatra, the crowd at a Taylor Swift concert. They buy the most records, good or bad, usually bad music.

I think long term love of music is individual. Most of the crowd at the arts near me are women. The classical concerts are mostly women. The jazz center is 50 50 in terms of crowd. Not scientific. But these are more serious crowds. True music lovers. Not just pop music. Only my observation though.

Even the crowd at the Danzig show i was at was 50 50 which really surprised me. And Rush shows are the same now. All dudes before not anymore. Not sure what this means....

16. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Luckily for me I had excellent taste in music between 13 and 16 and the acts I listened to then I still listen to now - Hendrix, Dylan, Kinks, Stones, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Zappa, Bee Gees.

But then after that "formative" period I have listened to and obsessed over many other artists I didn't know then but discovered later - Talking Heads, Beefheart, Television, Blondie, Sex Pistols, Roxy Music, Kate Bush, Elvis Costello, besides discovering music of the 50s like rockabilly and jazz. So I still like most of what I liked when I was 14 but my musical obsessions didn't stop there by any means.

willied likes this.
  17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Haha. Very true. Guilty here.

I like to ask everyone what their 3 favorite things in life are: Females never answer music, but males often do.

That's helped shape my "anecdotal" viewpoint.

18. I hardly listen to any of the music I listened to at 14 - 16 and, in fact, most of my taste was developed from 18-21

19. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

My favourite era of chart music was 1980-84, during which I was 14-18 - though I started following top 40 music (via radio and Top of the Pops back in the early 70s, when I was a glam fan!) Plus, I also enjoyed 60s pop thanks to repeated listening to a large collection of singles lying around the house and also four of my Dad's LPs that I took to, namely With the Beatles, Rubber Soul and a Beach Boys comp and a Searchers comp.

However, out of my Top 10 or so artists these days, the only ones I was listening to and owned LPs by back in my teenage years were The Beatles and Joy Division/New Order. Though I enjoyed the Paul McCartney and Wings singles from C Moon onwards (which was a bit uncool for a teenage schoolkid in the late 70s and early 80s), I didn't hear one of his LPs in full until 1985 - when I borrowed Band on the Run from the library.

I next "discovered" Jimi Hendrix in 1989 (aged 23) when I gave my brother 10 tapes for him to record whatever of his extensive LP collection he thought I really ought to hear. Out of all the LPs he recorded for me, including ones by U2, Madonna, REM, Bob Dylan, Kate Bush, Jesus & Mary Chain, Tim Buckley, The The, Husker Du and many others, it was Jimi's BBC Sessions that really hit home. So, over the next two or three years I acquired most of his LPs, both live and studio.

I started to get into the remainder of my now top 10 favourites from 2004 onwards, when I purchased my first Yes album (the 35th Anniversary Collection). This took a couple of years to click. I then bought their 70s LPs plus Keystudio - starting with Relayer, which took a bit of digesting - before descending into full-on prog fandom over the next few years. So, I discovered most of my now favourite music from the age of 38 onwards.

I continue to discover great new-to-me music from the past, plus a bit of actual new music too. Last year I fell deeply in love with Wetton-Bruford era King Crimson and since this time last week I'm a fan of Swedish proggers Kaipa.

So, while the music of my youth will always have a special place in my affections, I'm very happy to still be discovering excellent and enjoyable music in my 50s. :agree:

PS Interestingly, I can remember back in the 80s worrying that I would run out of new music to discover, but of course back then I didn't foresee the internet.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  20. password196

password196 Forum Resident

Hey Y'all, prepare yourself...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.