The Dead Don't Die..coming this summer to a theater near you!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Reid Smith, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident Thread Starter

A cool cast..looks like a fun movie.Bill Murray and zombies again ;)

Nice Marmot and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must see!!!

Looks like Jim Jarmusch has got a hit movie.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Trailer looks great!

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

looks cool and much fun...I'm in.

5. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Jarsmuch and zombies! I'm in, especially if it features more Alice Cooper music.

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

looks pretentious as hell. count me in.

7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Iggy Pop and Tom Waits both have parts in this movie, as do the rapper RZA and pop singer Selena Gomez. Someone who did the casting apparently likes musicians in their movies.

Cast

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've sat through this droll trailer in my local indie theater five times already...and the only thing that springs to mind is...wonder why it didn't occur to them to title the film, "Deadpan"...? :shrug:

(Also, wonder how many times Jarmush is gonna have to put up with people during his press junket, telling him, "I liked it better when it was called, 'Shawn Of The Dead'")

GentleSenator and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Vickie saw it today, and did not much like it. It's basically a drama and every vaguely amusing moment was put into the trailer.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

great. an unfunny bill murray movie. AND more zombies.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:yikes:NOOOOOOOO!
    ...that's not good......

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Can we get a 20 year moratorium on anything to do with zombies or vampires? Thank you.

ssmith3046 and guy incognito like this.
  13. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I watched it this afternoon. I give it a solid meh. It's best watched with friends and drinks. Every time you see or hear something named after a pop culture reference, drink/chug. With any luck you'll forget this snoozer.

The funny thing is, I love the stuff/people getting referenced. The Good brothers from The Sadies get a mention. Holy cow, I should be doing leaps over that one (or at least two shots); they're one of my favorite bands! But... meh.

I really wanted to like it. Oh well. :shrug:

Mazzy likes this.
  14. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I loved it. It's a verrrry dry comedy though so it's not for everyone

BGLeduc likes this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, that's Jarmush's MO though, isn't it?
    Even "Down By Law" & "Mystery Train" are dry and slow...

This Heat likes this.
  16. So two threads on this ? I posted this in The other one :

Saw it last night

Very disappointed and I’m a big JJ fan. Script is meh with a few great short bits. Uneven all around. All the best parts are in the trailer.

The best part of the entire film is the ongoing Sturgill Simpson music bit (he even plays a zombie with a guitar ).

17. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

Jarmusch is one of my all-time fav directors, it saddens me to see this receive so many negative reviews. Another month until it hits the UK properly, I'm hoping I have a good time with it.

vince likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

The most recent episode of the podcast film week, from LA's public radio station, featured a review of it. Both of their critics liked it, but then both of them are big Jim Jarmusch fans. They concluded that it was a metaphor about climate change.

FilmWeek: ‘Men in Black: International,’ ‘Shaft,’ ‘The Dead Don't Die’ And A Look Back At Hollywood’s Biggest Flops - FilmWeek

the jesus abyss likes this.
  19. This is going to end badly.

We saw it last night and quite enjoyed it. Dry humor indeed, but a very refreshing change of pace compared to the last three films we saw (Cape. Marvel, Aladdin, and Avengers End Game...we were on a Disney Cruise, so not much art-house fare on offer there).

The film makers clearly saved some coin on make-up by casting Iggy Pop as a zombie. Not much was needed. :)

realkilroy, Pete Puma and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Went to see this and made it through an hour and fifteen minutes and got bored and left. Some guy was laughing. But I got the feeling you had to want to laugh really badly to convince yourself this film was funny. Endlessly repetitious and hit-you-over-the-head dull. Jarmush tries to do a Tarantino-esque cheapies 70s salute but without the slightest bit of zing. I don’t mind a leaden pace when your striving for pseudo-impressionistic realism like in the wonderful “Patterson,” But in an action comedy? No. You’re just dying for the thing to get moving and I got restless and left.

In the New Yorker:

“Jarmusch’s film is an exuberantly imaginative comedy that’s also ... fervently, vehemently, bitterly political..”

Come on! What? It was about as inventive and fervently imagined as a 5th Grade play on saving th e planet. Bwahahaha. Eight videos and newscasts recapping how zombies were created by fracking. And zombies walking around staring at cellphones. Fresh! Holy cow. So dumb. Who paid that millennial off at the New Yorker?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Mazzy likes this.
  21. HAHAHA yeah, but still, there was Sturgill Simpson's song and zombie cameo :tiphat:

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I just left a screening of the 1961 British film, THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE. Exact same premise: humans caused the Earth's axis to move eleven degrees and Weird S*** happens. No zombies, but it's apocalyptic nonetheless (and a better film). I find it funny that the last two films that I've watched are quite similar but almost 60 years apart in age.

Ghostworld and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.